General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 05-17-2008, 02:58 AM   #1  
I was born this way hey!

S/C/G: Not telling/Shh/150

Height: 5'3

Question Weird marriage question

I will be married for 4 years this December. So I was wondering...when do you stop being called Newlyweds??
Shopaholic1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 03:15 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 222/209.8/130

Height: 5'4

That's so odd.. lol I was wondering the same thing and me and my hubby had the same discussion just last week. Yesterday was my 4th year wedding anniversary as well. We haven't heard anyone refer us as newlyweds this past year anymore so I'd guess after about 2 to 3 years of marriage.
blondebritbrat17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 03:23 AM   #3  
I was born this way hey!

Well thats a bummer..lol. I was hoping it would be like 5 years or something, lol.

Congrats on your 4th Anniversary!!
Old 05-17-2008, 04:43 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 222/209.8/130

Height: 5'4

Lol sorry to disappoint! Thanks for the congrats.
blondebritbrat17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 08:42 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

I think it's when you stop feeling like newlyweds. We will hit year 4 this summer and people refer to us frequently as newlyweds. We are by no means all over each other in public or anything like that, but I think we must still give off the newlywed vibe. Also, I took a class recently with a prof in his seventies. He often spoke of his wife in class, always referring to her as his "bride." Toward the end of the semester, she popped in to class one day to tell him something and his face just lit up. It was the cutest, and I bet they still feel like newlyweds!

I think my DH and I have another year or two before we will stop feeling like newlyweds (maybe it's when you stop following each other around the house, just because you want to be near the other person??).

Happy Anniversary ladies!
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 09:01 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

We're 29 years this August. A 89 y o patient told that's just newlyweds They are 62 years!
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 09:04 AM   #7  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

we'll be married 4 years in december too! congrats

I guess it's when you stop feeling like newlyweds.
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 09:26 AM   #8  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

heck I don't know...but I think as long as you enjoy each other it really doesn't matter!
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 12:17 PM   #9  
I was born this way hey!

Well if thats the case..then I hope we never stop being newlyweds. We still follow each other around the house..and always want to be together. We still cuddle on the couch while watching TV. We do all that stuff still. My grandparents are like that too. My grandma's eyes light up whenever my grandpa walks into the room. They've been married 60+ years.
Old 05-17-2008, 12:19 PM   #10  
Gettin Closer!!

S/C/G: See Signature

Height: Tall enough for my feet to reach the ground

I think the general population pretty much stops referring to you as newlyweds after about 2 years...but some people may tell you that you still seem like newlyweds many years into a marriage. It (IMO) has to do with HOW you treat, act, and are with each other when others are and are not around!
StillTryin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 01:07 PM   #11  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

My husband and I have been married, just a little over 5 years. Sometimes we feel like newlyweds, sometimes we feel like an "old married couple." My husband's 38, and I'm 42, but we're on disability for health and pain issues, so sometimes the "old" refers more to how we're feeling than to how long we've been married.

I think there's sort of this idea that a marriage starts to be boring at some point ("the honeymoon is over"), so it's a great compliment to be called "like newyweds," but I think that the later "stages" of marriage have been greatly underestimated. Sometimes friends and family, and even aquaintances at church have said that they can't believe that David and I have only known each other for 6 years, that we seem to have been together all of our lives.

I think of newlywed status as the time period when you're learning about yourself and the other person in the growing relationship more than you already know. By that definition, I think my husband and I are no longer newlyweds. We are still learning about each other, and will our entire lives, and there's still magic, though it is a different magic. There's less surprise/excitement and more wonder/awe. We can sit in a room, lost in our own activities my husband playing his computer games, me watching television and crocheting and not say a word for hours, and yet if one of us were not there, the other would feel the absence.

Being an oldlywed is pretty cool too.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 01:00 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Ya know ... everyone talks about how great it is to be newlyweds, but I loved, loved, *loved* being the "old married couple". I loved that we had longevity in our marriage (ok, yeah, not so much any more ... but we did). I loved the being able to read each other with a look across the room ... and know that other people noticed it. I loved that we finished each other's sentences and told each other's stories. I loved that people laughed that I knew what he wanted before he did and vice versa. I loved the stability that came with the "old married couple" vs. the "newlyweds".

I still love my DH, even though things somehow fell apart. I wish it had been different, but i know neither of us would have traded our time together for anything.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 10:58 AM   #13  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

My husband and I still get called newlyweds but I think it's our attitude, we hold hands, kiss, say "I love you" all the time....I still get butterflies when he just looks at me lol I've been with him for over 12 years but married for 5.

So people might stop considering you a newlywed but I would never let that "phase" go out of my marriage!
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 12:52 PM   #14  

Height: 5'4"

Another person getting ready to celebrate our 4th anniversary, this Friday in fact! I think the fact that I have to keep reminding myself that it will be our anniversary is one clue that we're not newlyweds.

Honestly, this is hard for me to answer because I got pregnant around our first anniversary. Having a baby certainly changes the dynamics of things! When you have a little one to care for, it changes your priorities a little and you don't identify with your spouse as THE main person in your life anymore (I mean my husband is still the most important full-grown person, but we both work together to care for our little ones, KWIM?).
Amy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote