Old 05-14-2008, 11:02 AM   #1  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Default Gym advice needed please

Okay, here's the situation:

I am not exercising, except on the weekends (and not much even then). I've got a treadmill and a swiss ball at home, plus a pool to do some laps now that it's warmer.

It's during the week that I could really use the exercise. I do have a dance class one night a week, but that's about the extent of it. I feel like I should be doing something else the other days of the week. By the time I get home I am pretty tired and unmotivated to work out.

I checked out a nearby gym--pros and cons:

Pros: five minutes from the office, lots of cardio and strength training equipment, personal trainer to help you design a program

Cons: co-ed, cost (inital cost $225 with $14/month after that), time factor (I could only use it during lunch hour due to my schedule), no showers, so if I get too sweaty or stinky it's not good.

The cost could be a pro, because it is pretty decent, but I am not sure if it is worth it to use 4 days a week for just an hour. (I have a weekly lunch meeting on the 5th day.)

And honestly, I am not sure I am committed enough to spend that kind of money for just four days a week.

Does anyone have any advice for me? Thanks.
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 11:07 AM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

I work out at home either before work or after work. Is there a reason you can't work out at home?
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 11:12 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Here is my advice.

Sit down and write up a workout plan you can do at home. You practically have a gym already! It's awesome you have a pool. Depending on your work schedule you may need to get up early and workout in the morning before work, or do it in the evenings. A run on the treadmill is invigorating in the morning, and a swim can be relaxing at night. Also I suggest you pick up a couple of pairs of dumbbells (I got mine at Walmart... 3lb, 5lb to start with) and look up a few strength training exercises you can do 2-3x a week.

If you write down a schedule and stick to it, I think you are more likely to do it at home than spending all that money for a gym membership. AT least you can give it a shot, right?

Or you can start by just taking a walk on your lunch break.
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 11:16 AM   #4  
Just keep breathing!

S/C/G: 191.7/191.7/145

Height: 5'5

I would start out just walking 30 minutes a night on low impact. Watch your favorite show, and hop on! Make it a habit. Pop the dinner on the stove, turn on an Oprah re-run, and get to walking. Keep it easy at first, so you're more likely to keep doing it - and once your used to fitting it in to your schedule you can bump up the force!
GradPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 11:24 AM   #5  
FB

I've had several gym memberships go virtually unused in the past. This year I've bought both used and new equipment and it's being used every day, every week. The cost of the home equipment is a savings over the gym membership and is actually being used. For me it's what works. I can always fit a workout in at home, be it at 5 in the morning or 10 at night, I'm not limited by available hours. One of my favorite exercises is practically free (excluding good shoes)- a brisk hour walk with the dog.

Why not try committing to walking during your lunch break those 4 days or exercising at home, see if it works for you. If you're still thinking about the gym after seeing if you're committed for a few months then go ahead and purchase?

Last edited by FB; 05-14-2008 at 11:25 AM.
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 11:53 AM   #6  
The Dyslexic Typo Queen

S/C/G: 209/155/120

Height: 5'3

I'm thinking you should just stick to working out @ home right now. I mean that's a lot of money in my opinion to only get and hour or less a day and there's no showers? WTH is that about??? Even my tiny community center where I workout has showers. The co-ed IMO is good, but only because I do enjoy me some eye candy, lol!

I'm thinking maybe wake up 30 minutes earlier and try to get in some Treadmill time and then get ready for work, and when ya get home, after your dinner settles, maybe another 15 or so as a warm up and then some strength training,ab work and stretching. <---You don't even have to do that everyday, 3 day's a week is plenty for strength training. Get some DVD's a look gf. I have lots because I LOVE variety. Also, do ya have Fit-tv? You can usually find some good workouts and stuff on there. Also, get them laps in in that swimming pool, you lucky girl.
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 03:53 PM   #7  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Thanks for all the practical responses. You confirmed what I already knew--stick with my stuff at home! I do think I will invest in a good set of handweights--maybe a medicine ball too....
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 04:37 PM   #8  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Personally, I've always like the extra motivation of working out at a gym around other people. If there was a gym near my home, I'd join. I especially like different kinds of classes as this varies the routine and keeps me interested. You could pack your clothes and stop at a gym on your way home from work. Are there any other gyms closer to your home that you can take a look at?
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 05:01 PM   #9  
Stepping Up

S/C/G: 228/ticker/160

Height: 5ft 9.5

i say go for working out at home... im just about to invest in another dvd and ive got my eye on an elliptical machine...
PrettyPaula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 05:39 PM   #10  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

I won't work out at home. i just don't do it. for me a gym close to my house is worth it. I love the energy of classes both cardio and abs and yoga. I love working out with my personal trainer... I don't love the monthly expense

if you really want to join ask the gym if they will waive or reduce the enrollment fee.
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 05:57 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 235/219/140

Height: 5'7''

I really enjoy the classes and variety that a gym can bring, but I do understand the cost side. Most gyms have a 7 day guest pass sort of deal some even two weeks, ask them about something like that.
Hope20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 06:33 PM   #12  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Over the years, I've built up my home gym. Only thing I'm missing that I may add sometime is a bosu. Invest in some weights, they are awesome. I love kettelbells so I highly recommend those. Actually I've become of the 'gofit' brand in general which you can find at Target, Dick's sporting goods and other places.

I did really love going to a gym when I was single but it became difficult for me after I started living with my boyfriend (now husband) and then when we added on new family members (2 cats, 1 dog).
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote