General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 05-14-2008, 12:17 PM   #1  
Stepping Up

S/C/G: 228/ticker/160

Height: 5ft 9.5

Default How to gain weight??

This may need moving mods as i wasnt sure where to post it!

I have concerns over my partners weight.

He is 6ft 1, weighs 141 pounds and has a 30 inch waist, he isnt skinny as such as he has a lot of muscle but he could do with gaining some!

his body fat is 6.3%. i find this very alarming...its not a healthy level as fat IS necessary for health.

whats a healthy way to gain weighgt for him? obviously i dont wanna send him out to eat gallons of cream and butter or anything.. how can i get him to gain weight without getting unhealthy?
PrettyPaula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 12:46 PM   #2  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

I have a friend who lifts a lot of weights and exercises a lot. In order to maintain his weight, he eats a diet very high in protein (including protein shakes) and carbohydrates. I would suggest upping his intake of both of those, and see what he thinks about the protein shakes if he doesn't want to eat more food. At this point, its more about the quality and nutrition content than about the quantity.
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 12:55 PM   #3  
Stepping Up

so how about getting him to drink milk every night, as a starter. and get him to eat a larger breakfast... i pack his lunches so thats easy enough!

its hard he isnt a "foody" ya know?
Old 05-14-2008, 01:13 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Does he like nuts? My husband is skinny and he eats nuts, nut butters and other stuff. I add peanut butter sandwiches to his lunch.

Protein shakes/weight gainer type things may be an option as well. I don't have any experience in weight gainer stuff but I do use hemp protein powder every morning.

I'd personally avoid trying to give him milk (increase in dairy showing increase in incidence of prostate cancer)
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 01:53 PM   #5  
Stepping Up

ooohhh thanks for that!

its so tough... i wish i had his metabolism! but then again it must be irritating to not be able to gain weight as much as lose weight!
Old 05-14-2008, 02:11 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 328/276/140

Height: 5'4"

Is he into working out or sports? He has the body fat of an athlete and an optimal BMI so maybe no need to gain weight.

I wish my DH wasn't a foody...it seems the more I stick to my thing the more HE gets outrageous cravings lol.
Boomcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 02:58 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Can I ask how old he is?

The reason that I am asking, is because when my husband and I got married in 1999, he weighed 135-140 pounds. Now, he weighs about 205.

Sometimes, men are naturally "skinny" until they reach a certain age.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 03:04 PM   #8  
No description available.

Does he want to gain weight? Also, how did you guys calculate his body fat %?

I agree with Aphil. Some guys bulk up a little later than others.

Good fats like avocados and nuts will help.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 03:46 PM   #9  
Stepping Up

he is 24... his dad is still the same build and he is sixty tomorrow, but he looks gaunt, no fat to fill his face out.. fiance doesnt wanna end up like that.

he does NO exercise at all, he sometimes rides BMX when the weather warms up.

i used my homedic scale it uses electrical currents to test body fat muscle etc... its pretty accurate (guaranteed to 0.1%)
Old 05-14-2008, 05:43 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 230/210/150

My man is in the same boat as yours. Same height, and give or take a few pounds the same weight. Although, unlike your man my man LOVES to eat. He will go to McDonald's and get a double cheese burger meal, supersize it. Come home and STILL want something else. He eats horrible for you frozen dinners almost every day...sometimes 2 in one day. One day i added up the calories he ate and OMG it was enough for a week and then some. But, he just won't gain weight. He plays basketball every now and again and does a workout every so often but nothing hardcore. He's got the muscles as well. I wish i could eat like he did sometimes, but sometimes i am glad that i can't.
martinlady711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 06:29 PM   #11  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

I saw a show on TLC about a guy who ate to put on weight to swim the English Channel. He said he ate alot of bananas.
On a side note, alot of guys would like to have 7% body fat.
Maybe he should concentrate on building some muscle. He could probably get the Bruce Lee look
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 08:07 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

He sounds like my husband -- he weighed about 140 when we got married 15 years ago, and he was 24. He's also about 6'1" or 6'2". He was always very muscular even at that low weight -- one of those people who always has a "six-pack" whether he does any ab exercises or not. He got determined to gain weight, so he started eating more protein to build muscle and started a program of weightlifting. He ended up getting all the way up to 190, believe it or not, and it was still all muscle. He didn't like being that big, though -- he felt awkward and slow (he's a runner). He finally settled around 165 or 170 because that's where he's most comfortable. That's where I'm most comfortable too, actually (but let's not talk about what my big pregnant self weighs right now!!)

Anyway -- weightlifting and protein. That's what did it for him. He's got a crazy-high metabolism too, and age hasn't changed that. He still struggles to keep weight on, and he's nearly 39. His dad's a rail at 66 and has never had an ounce of fat, so I don't think it's going to change for my husband either.
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 08:57 PM   #13  
I'm a Loser ;)

S/C/G: SCG: 255/see ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

It sounds like he has a very high metabolism. Have you talked to him about going to a doctor? He may be able to find things or even medication to help slow down his metabolism a bit.

http://www.medicalonline.com.au/medi...l/thyrover.htm

This talks about the effects of overactive metabolisms.
tamaralynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 10:08 AM   #14  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

He could have a thyroid issue. If he does go to see a doctor, he can ask about having that checked.

I would suggest starting with the doctor and if everything turns out OK there, then try to follow some of the suggestions here.
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote