Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 05-12-2008, 10:03 PM   #1  
on a mission

Default cottage cheese?

one of my daily meals is a large portion off cottage cheese, but tbh i hate the taste!! dose anyone have any ideas how too make it taste better without adding many calories?
paulym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 10:11 PM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

I'm curious. Why eat cottage cheese when you hate it?

You could always add in some fruit, like diced pineapples. Or for 60 calories, you could stir in a tablespoon of honey.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 10:14 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

I agree, why eat it if you don't like it? There are plenty of other foods that can give you the protein (yogurt, eggs or egg whites, low fat cheeses, etc.)

I only buy cottage cheese when I make lasagna (cheaper then ricotta.) I do like it, but not enough to eat regularly. I prefer it plain with just a tad of honey . It's good with fruit too.

Last edited by zenor77; 05-12-2008 at 10:15 PM.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 10:21 PM   #4  
on a mission

i mainly eat it for its protien content, im currently on 5 meals a day and one of those meals is scrammbled eggs on toast, i need protien at every meal for my goals and im trying too see food as fuel rather than something that tastes nice(im not sure how healthy THAT is lol) but if it can be spiced up abit that would be good.

honey is a good idea!
Old 05-12-2008, 10:23 PM   #5  
Captain Obvious

Height: 5'8

I agree that if you don't love it, don't eat it. I love cottage cheese and I love it plain. I also love it mixed with some strawberry preserves or some pineapple. If you are eating cottage cheese for the protein value and you don't like it you can try other stuff in addition to what Zenor posted -- tuna, chicken breast, greek yogurt, beans...even a protein shake...

Oh yeah, if you are eating fat free cottage cheese, try switching to 1% or 2% cottage cheese. They taste soooo much better than the ff stuff!! If you are really splurgy, the 4% is heaven in my book

Last edited by gastronome; 05-12-2008 at 10:24 PM.
gastronome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 10:23 PM   #6  
on a mission

ps.zenor77 your before and after shots are very good, well done
Old 05-12-2008, 10:27 PM   #7  
on a mission

my current meals..

breakfast-porridge oats and protien shake

meal 1- tuna and wholegrain pasta

meal 2-chicken brest and brown rice

meal 3 -scrammbled eggs on toast

meal 4-cottage cheese

i have been trying too get my protien from differant food scorces because i read its important too do that. but in reality is it THAT important??? i dont think more eggs would be a good idea because i have 6 a day already but some more chicken or tuna is possible and it certainly tastes better to me lol
Old 05-12-2008, 10:28 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulym View Post
ps.zenor77 your before and after shots are very good, well done
Thanks!
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 10:31 PM   #9  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Uh, I hate cottage cheese, but I love "protein pancakes" - equal parts egg whites, ff cottage cheese, and oatmeal with a bit of vanilla flavoring and splenda (if desired). Run it through a blender or food processor and then cook like regular pancakes.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 10:34 PM   #10  
on a mission

great idea jtammy! i will certainly have too try those!
Old 05-12-2008, 10:56 PM   #11  

Don't forget that cottage cheese can be heated. Your food plan looks a little low on green veggies. Cottage cheese will actually "melt" to the stringy stage. Cook your veg, top with the cc and then nuke for 30 or 40 seconds. Maybe a sprinkle of parmesan. Totally different taste and texture than cold. I know some people who mix it with canned pumpkin, some Splenda, pumpkin pie spice = a treat that tastes like pumpkin pie filling.
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 11:06 PM   #12  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Life's way to short and there are too many other good foods out there to eat foods you don't like.

Lately, I've sometimes been sweetening my cottage cheese with a little splenda and stirring some cinnamon into it. But I like cottage cheese, so I have no idea if this would make it palatable to someone who doesn't like cottage cheese. Meg had some great suggestions for cottage cheese in another thread.

There are lots of other foods you can eat for protein--yogurt is number 1 on my list. It has fewer calories and more protein per serving than cottage cheese, so if you like yogurt, you're much better off with it.

6 eggs per day is a lot (you must spend a fortune on eggs) and I wouldn't add any more, but you could probably add egg whites. In fact, you might want to consider replacing some of those eggs with egg whites (or egg beaters).

It is important to get your protein from different sources if you are a vegetarian because most vegetable sources of protein are not complete proteins. They are missing certain amino acids that your body needs to be able to absorb and use the protein. So if you rely entirely on vegetables for your protein, it is important that you eat a variety of protein sources (some grains, some beans, some nuts and seeds). Eggs, meat, dairy, and other animal sources are complete proteins; if those are your protein sources you don't need to be worried as much about variety.

Here are some other ideas for protein:
  • Yogurt (20g per serving)
  • Tofu (7g per serving). Try pressing the water out and sauteing it or marinating it in Teriyaki sauce and then baking it. If you live near a Trader Joe's, they sell baked tofu that is fabulous and has 16g protein per serving. Or make fruit smoothies and add some silken tofu (make your smoothie with yogurt or milk for a double hit of protein, for a triple hit of protein, add some flaxseed or peanut butter).
  • Eggs or egg whites (6g per serving). Make yourself an egg-white omelet and add some reduced fat cheese for some more protein. Or I sometimes take a hard-boiled egg and mix the yolk with dijon mustard to make a sort of deviled egg.
  • Low carb wrap with one wedge laughing cow cheese (7.5g protein)
  • Low carb wrap with refried beans (12g protein). Add a laughing cow cheese wedge for an extra 2.5g protein.
  • Kippered herring or sardines (16g protein per serving)
  • 1 tbsp SnacLite Power PB (http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp...entPage=family) (6g protein). Stir it into your oatmeal or eat it on a slice of high fiber bread.
  • Beef jerky (or turkey or salmon jerky)
  • Yogurt Vegetable Salad: 1/4 cup yogurt, 1 tsp dijon mustard, 2.5 oz diced cucumber, 1.5 oz halved cherry tomatoes (use sun-dried tomatoes or roasted red pepper if fresh cherry tomatoes aren't available), 1/4 cup chickpeas, 1 tbsp minced fresh basil or mint, sea salt and pepper to taste. 85 calories and 9g protein. Add tuna or salmon for an extra hit of protein.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 11:50 PM   #13  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I love Knudsen cottage cheese (in the pink container) and it's the only one I like! Anyway, I love to chop up green onion in there...yummy!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 12:46 PM   #14  
Ija
Extra gluten

S/C/G: 286/135/135

Drizzle it with a little bit of maple syrup... I LOVE having that for breakfast
Ija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 08:03 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 307.2/249.4/150.0

Height: 5 feet 4

Fat-free cc = wallpaper paste
1% cc (at least the right brand: in Minnesota I prefer Land'o Lakes) = ambrosia of the gods
ANOther is offline   Reply With Quote