Old 05-11-2008, 11:08 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 222/222/160

Height: 5'6

Angry I'm sad, annoyed and frustrated :(

So my birthday is coming up in 2 wks and my mom and me decided to go to the mall shopping..that was a bad idea. I've been telling her that this year Im determined to wear a dress so we went to Torrid a plus size store and most of the clothes were to big for me so we then go to places like Express and Forever 21 and their Large fit me but it doesnt mean its flattering or that I feel comfortable in. My mom was just full of negative comments saying how if I lost 25-30 then I can think about getting a nice dress she kept commenting on how you can see my rolls blah blah blah I LOVE HER but dang it wasnt nice and im frustrated because im in between sizes I just want to look pretty for my bday that all just needed to vent.

Thanks
Meesha80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 11:30 AM   #2  

Meesha, nothing like negative comments to make you feel worse, right? I think you should go shopping by yourself. You probably just haven't found the right dress yet. Good luck!
Dinahgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 11:50 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 300/180/135

Height: 5'3"

I'm sorry it is hard when you are in between "normal" and "plus" sizes. I find there is a large jump in sizes. However try stores like JC Penny or Sears where you can find a cute dress but it is not a junior store like Forever 21 so they have a larger range of sizes.
RememberHowToSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 12:08 PM   #4  
I'm so sexy it hurts

S/C/G: (275 preggo) 245/183/<165

Height: 5'8'"

moms can be crappy. They think they are being helpful, but they aren't. Not only will you wear that cute dress soon, you'll be smokin' in it.
Kriket84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 12:31 PM   #5  
Taking Care of Me

S/C/G: 252/221/140

Height: 5'5"

Happy Birthday!!
You're right! That wasn't very nice. But keep your chin up. You're working hard and seeing results. We feel your struggle and think your all the more beautiful for it. I'm sure you'll find your birthday dress and look wonderful in it.
chay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 12:51 PM   #6  
SE Asia, baby

S/C/G: 232/141/132

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemeberHowToSmile View Post
I'm sorry it is hard when you are in between "normal" and "plus" sizes. I find there is a large jump in sizes. However try stores like JC Penny or Sears where you can find a cute dress but it is not a junior store like Forever 21 so they have a larger range of sizes.
I agree! Places like Forever 21 have no concept on how to make clothing that flatters anyone but a size 0 model like shape. Definitely try departament stores. They have a huge variety of dresses in every size and shape...you're bound to find something awesome!
graciegoose13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 01:49 PM   #7  
Weight Loss; Control Gain

S/C/G: ?/?/130

Height: 4'11"

I agree, it sucks to be not a plus but not a large or xl... I am in the same boat, I would suggest department stores because there is more to choose from.
vixjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 02:09 PM   #8  

thanks you guys i will definitely look at dept stores and keep on going slowly but surely im sure the weight will come off, just felt very bummed out.
Old 05-11-2008, 02:51 PM   #9  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

Oh, it sucks to be an "in-betweenie" but don't worry--- in no time you will be able to feel more comfortable..... for me that means working on my headspace just as much as my body..... because even if you didn't lose another pound, if you were happy with your body it would show and go along way and I bet you those dresses would feel more comfortable to wear......
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 02:55 PM   #10  

thanks shrinking chica
Old 05-11-2008, 04:18 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 195/see ticker/140

Height: 5"7

I'm in that between stage too, it sucks! I went to a store in the mall and they have a plus section on one side and then "regular" on the other.. so I automatically went to the plus size, plucked a 14 off the rack and surprise, it was too big! I was so happy!! So with a big smile on my face, I went to the "regular" side of the store, plucked a size 13 and holy crap... i couldn't even button them!! What the heck is up with that!!?? Once again, I walk furiously out of the mall store with my husband following me saying "what happened??!!??". It is so frustrating. But I just look at it as more motivation to lose more so I can FINALLY be able to shop in the "regular" size section of the store!!
aerogora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 07:25 PM   #12  
Sailing the Grand Line!

S/C/G: 255/See Sig/130

Height: 5'8"

I love Torrid but sometimes their sizing throws me for a loop. I would recommend looking at Old Navy for dresses, they had some wicked cute ones when I was there on Saturday for jeans. They go up to a 20 in pants and an XXL for sweats, PJs, shirts and dresses; maybe you'd have luck there?
Thousandsunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 10:43 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 200/192/140

Height: 5'6"

i know exactly how this feels. not only am i in between regular and plus sizes, i have a short torso and legs and usually need the "petite" or "short" length pants. thats no fun. my only advice would be to stay away from the juniors sections...nothing there is meant to fit any sort of curve, ever. apparently, women no longer have hips/boobs? go figure.
kpren514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 12:38 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 187.4/147.4/129

Height: 5'2"

Aw, that was a crappy of your mom to say- I'm sorry
I know how it feels to be in between sizes- I'm there, too. My 18's (which Ive been for awhile) are starting to look baggy in my legs, and a little sloppy. My 16's are uncomfortable, too tight in my butt and thighs. It's hard when you're in between. Just keep plugging away.. before you know it, you'll be down a size!
Erika79 is offline   Reply With Quote