Old 05-11-2008, 10:37 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 243/225/155

Height: 5'10"

Exclamation Weight loss, kids and everything else

Well, I joined awhile ago...haven't had alot of time to actually try much exercise I have lost about 17 pounds. I know it isn't much of an excuse; But my son has been going through alot of testing and such he was diagnosed a few months ago as having Autisim than a month later they relaized he wasn't Autistic he has Aspergers. Being diagnosed at 7 1/2 is odd to me. They also want to test my daughter who is almost 2 even though she has no signs. Family thinks it is and end to his life and some had completely shut him out as if it was contagious. Well, that made him grealty depressed and a child who is makes a mom who is. Well, after all this we bought a few books to explain what it is and how to handle things and the majority of the family has appoligized to him saying they didn't understand and have actually taken classes to learning about the condition. All and all things are almost back to the "NEW" Normal.

So hopefully I can get back to trying to drop those extra pounds. My daughter loves to exercise with me. Makes me laugh and makes it fun. Than it is summer and running after her for an hr or so can help anyone lol.
Good luck and I hope to be on more.

Katrina
KatrinaMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 04:00 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 222/209.8/130

Height: 5'4

Wow sounds like you have had a lot on your plate! As for your family reacting that way to your son's diagnosis, it is common unfortunately. I'm completely deaf myself and certain family members of mine, when I was diagnosed at 2 and I'm now 24, didn't behave in a supportive manner to say the least and acted as if the world had ended for me and that I was never going to be able to be on my own and all this other blah blah stuff and they still to this day don't know quite how to deal with me at times especially when I ask for them to repeat themselves or to look at me so I can lip read them which I don't think that's too hard to do but you'd think the world ends every time I ask them to do something like that so needless to say I don't socialize with them very much. But I just wanted to say that's great that your family is taking classes and etc and hopefully they continue to be supportive! And good luck on your weight loss journey!
blondebritbrat17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 12:55 PM   #3  

I have a family member who w/O his hearing aids he hears about 10%. I learned a small bit of sign language so someone in the family other than his prents could communicate with him. I taught 2 others how to use it a bit. I have since taken classes. Not perfect but he age 10 doesn't feel so alienated. My teacher was deaf. She said the worst thing for her was people yelling which distored their mouths and lips making almost impossible to read.
Katrina
Old 05-12-2008, 01:39 PM   #4  
I'm so sexy it hurts

S/C/G: (275 preggo) 245/183/<165

Height: 5'8'"

you should get in on a parenting with special needs groups. One of the message boards that I frequent a papas siggy says "If you're suffering from autism you're doing it wrong"
I know this seems like the world is crashing down, but there is nothing wrong with your son and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. He is not broken, doesn't need fixed, isn't defective isn't missing pieces. Before someone labeled it "autism" it was just called personality. IMHO stay away from books about autism by jenny mccarthy. I think she's nuts. But thats just one girls opinion. much love mama.

oh and aspergers is a form of high functioning autism, did the DR tell you that it wasn't?

Last edited by Kriket84; 05-12-2008 at 01:41 PM.
Kriket84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 03:08 PM   #5  
Taking life by the horns

S/C/G: 302/ticker/215

Height: 6'1"

Well, not sure if it's any help to you, but I once dated a guy who had Aspergers and you wouldn't really even know it! He had his "quirks" and that was about it. He functioned fine and was normal to anyone who met him. It took a while before you realized something was "off" just a little.

It's a better diagnosis than autism... not that it makes it better, but it makes it a little more manageable.

I'm sorry about how your family has responsed--- tsk tsk tsk. You must realize, though, that the best way to be a great mother to your kids is to be a healthy and happy mother. And we all know the best way to become that, right?

Do what you need to do to take care of your family--- but don't forget to take care of YOU my darling!
BrandNewJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 08:58 PM   #6  

My son you can tell something is off with him after about 10min. He doesn't bang his head anymore stopped that at 3. But his social behaviors are well almost non-existant. But he is showing improvement since he has been getting Ocupational Therapy and Physical Therapy (very poor muscle tone) He is as skinny as a rail, falls all over the place he can walk but in the dicitionary under Klutz is a picture of my son lol. And since being around more children in the neighboorhood he is getting better with social cues.

I do have a website I frequest called AutismWeb.com wonderful place wonderful people.

Hubby and I took son on a trip and stayed at hotel youngest was at grandparents over night. I actually got a chance to go swimming and even got my hair colored on vacation...It was about 2 weeks ago it was an early mother's Day gift.

Thank you all for your support and I hope I can offer some support later to you all.

katrina