Old 05-10-2008, 06:30 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #15

Good morning ladies! Hope all is well with you. I am coming along still with lots of bumps, but getting better I hope.

Susan: I doubt I have a bowel obstruction because I have no pain in the abdomen except occasionally I have pain across my lower back and just a bit in front sometimes, but usually a combo of Tylenol or my pain med and having a bowel movement helps that. I think they are just trying to rule stuff out. Trouble is, she never called me back so I don't know what they decided to do. If I feel I am in danger, ie, lots of pain starts up, I will just go to the ER. The service sounds lovely and quite touching. Isn't it nice to have such a wonderful support system when you have no outside family. Sounds like everyone is taking care of you.

Jean: Sounds like maybe 2 of your darlings are out of your hair at least. Jack has to go deposit a check into our bank in Millington today then take Fortune to the groomer so he has small amount of errands to do and I imagine he will then just stay in.

Maggie: Enjoy the ac. I imagine we are going to have another scorcher of a summer. It is pretty warm here everyday too.

Well gals, short replies, but I am still not up to sitting here long. Have a nice Saturday and a wonderful Mother's Day tomorrow.

Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 07:46 AM   #2  

Good morning, ladies!

Faye - it was so good to see your post this morning. Hopefully "no news (from the doc) is good news. It might just be your colon is taking its time getting back to work. I had an email from Satine, who used to post with us on Time to Get Serious thread. She said she comes here to see how we are doing from time to time and sent her condolences.

Jean, hang in there - only 1 more month of school and a holiday this month!

Maggie, it was good to hear from you. Now you know the ac is working!

Gloria, how are things going?

I've been keeping busy doing housework...my least favorite thing to do. Stan was a keeper...I am a minimalist so the thrift store is going to have a lot of stuff over the next few months. Yesterday I cleaned out the pantry and boxed up all the food I had for Stan (fruit in syrup, full fat salad dressing and mayo, etc.) and took it to the food pantry. As it is, I probably will not need more than bread, milk, produce and fruit for the next year. My freezer is full and so is the pantry. Today is clean out the fridge day. So much fun! Then I'm going to the grocery store for cat food and milk. I might even go to Walmart just to walk around for awhile.

We had a few showers around 6 am but the sun is coming out now.

Have a great day!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 03:59 PM   #3  
Thin Within

Arrow Saturday

GOOD AFTERNOON It is almost one oclock here in sunny CA and the temp is 78 which is lovely for I much prefer the windows and door open and a breeze coming in ~ fresh air. Once in a great while (since Will loves it so) I will make gravy and potatoes with pork chops. I always make enough to have biscuits and gravy for breakfast another day. Gravy that I make is 4 points for a quarter cup. When we do breakfast I limit myself to 2 biscuits and 1/8 cup gravy which is totally enough for the two biscuits. I cut them small so that they are only 2 points each and rise tall. So you probably guessed I had that for breakfast. I also had some juice and bacon. It was a 10 point breakfast which was really a brunch. I have a crock pot stew cooking as I type for dinner. I have my points all figured out this day. If I am hungry in the afternoon I can do what I have planned for "lunch" and that is a cup of my low point potato soup and a fruit cup. Life is good.

FAYE It is so nice to hear from you. Even though you can't stay long a short visit is truly welcomed. Yes, you will get better and have this all in the past. Aren't dogs just wonderful when they come from the goomer? Ragg Mopp lasts just a few minutes then wants to go outside and then he lays in his favorite place ~ NOT on the ground carpet we have out there but on the dirt. We take him every 2 weeks.

SUSAN That is a good idea to donate that food you won't use and someone else needs. I admire your diging in and doing all this now.

JEAN Got that new washer figured out to fill up properly yet?

Everyone have a wonderful weekend.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 08:26 AM   #4  

Good morning to you all! I hope you are all having a lovely Mother's Day in whatever way you celebrate. I imagine Thomas and Kelly might come over for a bit today, but I haven't heard from her. I got the most beautiful card from Jay and Alicia with handwritten notes and BABY PICTURES!!!! Lord have mercy, he is one cute little guy and growing so much. Hard to believe he will be a year old next month. I remember being on pins and needles this time last year.

I am back to eating light as boy oh boy I got sick last night. Jack cut me a small piece of ham in small bites with some hash browned potatoes and about an hour later up in come, but instead of it being food it was horrendously salty bile. I have never had such an awful thing in my life. It kind of lingered, but eventually it settled down. I slept in the bed until 1 then had a backache and finished up in the chair. I imagine it is just going to take longer than the first operation and I am going to have to be patient.

Susan: I hear from Carri from time to time. I believe she and her hubby and doggy are doing fine in the Indianapolis area. It was sweet of her to send you condolences. I can't find any of the other gals. I have emailed and sent pm messages here, but nothing. I am also curious from time to time how Ruth is getting along and the ladies on the other thread where you and I initially met. That was a strange situation of here today gone tomorrow though. Sounds like you have lots of work ahead for yourself in the coming weeks.

Maggie: Sounds like you are doing well on WW. I have lost 20 lbs so far with the surgery, but would rather struggle on an eating plan! We have a rainstorm blow through last night which cooled everything considerably so it is kind of chilly here this morning.

Well gals, I should probably get some breakfast in me. Have a wonderful day!

Faye
Old 05-11-2008, 02:41 PM   #5  

Happy Mother's Day, ladies! Cool and overcast today.

Faye, hope your tummy gets straightened out soon. How much knitting are you doing?

Maggie, next time you make sausage gravy and biscuits, could you send me some? I love that stuff and have it maybe once or twice a year.

I made the WW Garden Vegetable Soup, Creamy Broccoli Soup and Black Bean Soup today. Just felt like cooking. Put it all into individual servings and froze most of it.

I decided I better get back on WW again so I'm going the Kick Start Week. For some reason, if I have a menu made up I stick to it just fine. When I'm planning as I go, it usually turns into a disaster.

Not doing anything today - a day to rest up and get ready for work tomorrow.
Old 05-11-2008, 07:19 PM   #6  
Thin Within

Arrow Sunday Afternoon

GOOD AFTERNOON THIS MOTHERS DAY

What a beautiful day this has turned out to be. It is 83 degrees as I type and the air feels great! Air conditioning that is. Had Chinese for lunch and I love that stuff but did stay within my alloted points. I have put forth an extra effort this week and it should show a loss come Thursday.

SUSAN I think you are doing great. I too love to cook and freeze the portion size of my favorite soups. I like a variety to choose from when the "need" comes up. I need to make my low point potato soup recipe this coming week since I only have one serving in the freezer. I have some "peal a pound" soup in there yet. I would love to have you over next time I do the gravy bit which isn't very often here either but oooo so good when it comes around again.

FAYE Don't babies just grow up too fast! That song "Turn Around" song says it well. Guess you will have to learn to eat once again. Don't want you being sick ~ such an ucky feeling in your throat. I remember the thunder storms in TN with fondness. I love that state. 20 pounds is a good chunk ~ at least that is a positive for all the suffering you are having to go through.

Hope all you mothers are having a good day this day. Type at you later.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:11 AM   #7  

Good morning to you all. Just had some oatmeal and took my meds so I am set for the morning at least. Yesterday went very well and I even ate my whole portion of spaghetti last night with just some plain ragu no meat or anything.

Susan: Sounds like you have a good headstart for meals with your soups. I haven't started back to knitting. I just haven't felt much like it. I imagine if I continue to improve I will probably more interested in the next week or so. Have projects so need to get back to it.

Maggie: I too love Chinese, but the calories can be killer and of course I like the fattening stuff. Sounds like you are having fine weather. We are still having pretty chilly temps.

Everyone have a good one.
Faye
Old 05-12-2008, 12:04 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 210/205/150

Height: 5'2"

Red face new to 3FC

Hi, I am new to this site and was wondering if I might join your group?
I am trying to lose some weight, according to the docs I need to lose about 70 pounds but would be happy with 50. I really need some place I can voice a little frustration when our computer systems get really slow. I work in an office processing medical reports all day and some times the computers get so slow that I find myself searching for something to munch on. I try to keep water nearby and have salads at lunch but it just seems llike about the time I loose a pound or two I end up with a munch attack and put them back on.

I hope you all don't mind me posting here.
NannaX3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 01:20 PM   #9  
Thin Within

Arrow Monday ~ Monday

GOOD MORNING FRIENDS

It is fixin to be a nice day here. Any day I wake up and get out of bed is a nice day. Going into town this day to do some shopping ~ getting low on some stuff that is needed. I may be back later to say more.

FAYE I am so glad for you that you can eat now. Now that you can keep food down your system will get better quicker. Slow and steady goes it girlfriend.

NANNA X3 to the Steel Magnolia's. We would love to have you come join us and we can possibly help each other.

Gotta go ~ my main squeeze is out the door already.

Last edited by Maggie; 05-12-2008 at 01:24 PM.
Old 05-12-2008, 02:32 PM   #10  

Good afternoon, ladies! Another cool - 55 degrees - day in VA and overcast.

Faye, glad you are able to eat more. Meat can be hard to digest.

Maggie, could you share the potato soup recipe. I love the stuff. Did you have fun shopping?

Gloria and Jean, hello!

NannaX3, we are glad to have you join us. We're good at listening and do a little complaining of our own from time to time. I always take a bowl of cut-up veggies to work with me so I can much without guilt.

This is my first day back at work and it is going well. Stacks all over the place but I should be caught up by the end of the week. One of my co-workers brought me a beautiful orchid plant today.
Old 05-12-2008, 02:38 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 210/205/150

Height: 5'2"

Maggie and Susan, thanks for the welcome. I need to bring veggies to work, I know I should but I am usually worn out when I get home. I know if I do a little I usually feel better int he long run, gotta keep the motivaiton up though.
Susan, what part of VA are you in? I'm in Portsmouth.
NannaX3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 09:12 PM   #12  

I'm up the road in Yorktown - small world!
Old 05-12-2008, 10:30 PM   #13  
Thin Within

Arrow Recipe For Susan

A REDIPE FROM MAGGIE'S KITCHEN
QUICK & LOW POINT POTATO SOUP

28 oz. bag of OreIda O'Brien Potatoes
1 envelope McCormick's white gravy mix
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 large can (49 1/2 oz) chicken broth (or 4 cans)
Freshly ground black pepper to taste ~ and other spices such as
Italian seasoning, garlic powder, etc. Use what you like best

Spray a pan with Pam and saute the Potatoes & onions for 10 Minutes
Add most of the broth and bring to a boil
Use reserved broth to mix the gravy package, then add it to the pot

Let it simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally

SERVES 8 for 1 cup servings for 1 Point
SERVES 4 for 2 cup servings for 2 Points

Last edited by Maggie; 05-12-2008 at 10:32 PM.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:02 AM   #14  

Good Evening, Flowers! For whatever reason I have not been able to get in here to read nor post! I have the washer and dryer running since I didn't finish my laundry chores over the weekend. I think it multiplies when I'm not looking since there always seems to be a pile waiting. We have one more Monday left before school is finished for the year. Final exam days are after Memorial Day but they don't really seem like school days since most students only have to be in school when they have a test scheduled. The ones owing assignments or detention sit in the restricted study hall while everyone else gets to come and go.

Susan -- Your different soups sound good. I would like to get a small freezer because our fridge freezer doesn't hold much. Hope your first day back at work was a good one.

"Gma" -- I'm glad to hear that you are feeling better and the food seems to be agreeing with your innards. I would love to lose 20#s but not the way you did.

Maggie -- It's been so windy and cool here. The leaves are starting to come on the trees but everything seems so slow this year. So far our furnace is still running from time to time.

Nannax3 -- Welcome! I know what you mean about having the munchies. Once I start I just seem to keep going. I hope that you will post often so that we may get to know you and you us.

Hope you all have a terrific Tuesday tomorrow. I'm heading to bed!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 07:34 AM   #15  

Good morning to you all! Boy, I can't seem to get this right! lol After I posted yesterday, I was sick all day, vomiting anything I took in. I really believe the antibiotics he has me on are causing the problem and I stopped them last night and am not taking them today to see if that is where the problem lies. I went to bed nauseous but woke up feeling fine. We shall see after I eat what happens, but I know the medication can cause problems in some people. I have a dr appt today so will talk with him about what we want to do. I am pain free, fever free, so if we can get a handle on what is upsetting my stomach I may just get over this thing!

Nanna: Nice to see you. We are a laid back group mostly enjoying each other's company as older ladies. You are most welcome here so come sit a spell and visit. We ladies usually post once a day so you may not get answers to any ?? or such you ask until the next day, but we are here everyday pretty much and this is a wonderful group of ladies to be a part of. I have been a part of them since I originally joined 7 years ago and our group has changed just a smidge. I feel they are old friends I have known my whole life and if we all weren't so spread out, I imagine we would be sitting and coffee klatchin' together. Unfortunately, we are coast to coast having us living in CA, MASS, TN, IOWA and now two from VA.

Susan: Oh how lovely an orchid. What a nice thing. Hope you can get caught up with work and get the wheels turning smoothly again.

Maggie: Sounds like a good soup recipe. Jack loves potato soup, but is persnickety about what is in it.

Jean: Hang on girl the end is near! I swear, you should tell that school to take a hike and retire and enjoy yourself. Just think of all the things you could accomplish and not get steamed over some kid everyday! Thomas gets out the 23rd and they are heading for Disney World that week sometime so he is all excited. He has been a bazillion times, but that is certainly a place you can go back to over and over. I guess the little money hoarder has saved a couple hundred $$ for spending money. They are going to Costa Rica on vacation in July I think so he will need to rebuild his vacation stash. Maybe Nonny can help with that?? I am not sure when the bratty city kids get out here, but it is around the same time as Thomas, (he goes to county schools.)

I sure hope either taking me off this med or changing it to another will start an upswing. I want to get out and walk and get to losing weight properly so I am nice and healthy to go to Vegas next year. Oh yes, we have started our Vegas vacation plans, though we are going to go a bit later next year, towards the end of Sept.

Well, I hope everyone has a great day today! Oh and here is a pic of Jackson they sent with my Mother's Day card. He is getting to be one big boy!
Faye
Attached Images
File Type: jpg happyjack.jpg (31.0 KB, 11 views)