South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 05-08-2008, 03:56 PM   #1  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Question Ph 1 Breakfast Idea. . .but I need some Input!

Ok So i finished my work early so I can sneak in a post!
I was thinking of making the PB cookies to have a Ph 1 breakfast option that was yummy
I erm need a fiber component or else things don't really work well
I read that you can substitute flax for eggs. Has anyone Ever Tried it? Or I could use the Egg and Add in a half cup of flax
Thanks!

Kierie
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 04:53 PM   #2  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

The PB cookies sound good, just make sure that you count that in your daily fat limit.

Why the substitution of flax for eggs? Fiber? Why not have a cup of broccoli with your eggs? Or spinach? I add fresh ground flax meal to eggs, but definitely not a half cup. That might......taste a little funny. What about 2 eggs mixed with a tablespoon of flax meal, and a half cup of chopped spinach? Plenty of fiber and protein.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 09:55 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

I have never heard of substituting flaxmeal for eggs, but I do know you can use it as a substitute for oil at a ratio of 3 to 1. And I agree with Zeffryn, that using 1/2 cup of flax for a serving is waaay too much. I don't think it would taste good at all. A serving size is 2 Tbsp., contains 60 calories, and 4 grams of fiber.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 11:26 PM   #4  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

I was just trying to think of a way to add some extra body to the cookie. I could get the plain yogurt and do the flax in that. . .now that I'm back a work I don't have time for breakfast at home so Portable is the watch word
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 09:25 AM   #5  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

I just looked at the recipe. I see what you mean, you're looking to make it a little more "healthy breakfast cookie" instead of "healthy dessert cookie". Right?

I think a half cup of flax would make the cookies fall apart. I don't think the eggs would be able to bind that much together. If you need a little more fiber in them, go for 2 tablespoons of flax MEAL (grind your flax seeds in a spice grinder or coffee grinder) and mix with the batter. I think any more than that and you're going to run into problems with the cookie crumbling.

If portable is what you need, have you tried the egg cups? It's basically scrambled eggs in a muffin shape. There is a recipe in the breakfast section, but you can add anything you want. My husband isn't a big fan of turkey bacon, so we either omit the meal entirely or use turkey italian sausage. I fill it with sauteed veggies (peppers, onions, zucchini, spinach, etc.)
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 10:54 AM   #6  
Heather-Nic

S/C/G: 293.5/248/220

Height: 5'7"

There are lots of options for p1 breadfast that are portable, you just have to do some prep for them. I've had the egg muffins (really good w/ spinach & pesto), cottage cheese w/ "strawberry jam" (see recipe in p1 misc.), breakfast turkey stacks (turkey sausage patty, sliced tomoato, melted cheese), and the protien packed cheese cakes were fantastic as well. You just have to be creative and think a little outside the box.
hmacneil6 is offline   Reply With Quote