Old 05-08-2008, 03:21 PM   #1  
budding cinephile

S/C/G: 225/197.5/150

Height: 5'5 1/2"

Default "Just Beachy" Blue Team Chat #3

I went ahead and closed the other thread cause I wouldn't be online to catch it before it went past 500 posts
Old 05-08-2008, 03:47 PM   #2  
TBL Blue Team Member!

S/C/G: 294.5/ticker/170

Height: 6'0

Francie-YAY!!! I'm so happy for you!!!

Chellez-I'm sorry people around you are crummy. Good for you for sticking up to your boss!

Go us for being on Chat #3 already!! Woo Hoo Blue Team!!

Last edited by Hopefulpinkangel; 05-08-2008 at 03:48 PM.
Old 05-08-2008, 03:52 PM   #3  
I was born this way hey!

S/C/G: Not telling/Shh/150

Height: 5'3

Okay well...what is it like in Maryland?? Fonzo said he'll be working at the Naval Academy. What is there to do? Is it far from NYC? LoL!! I emailed him and asked if we would be getting military housing again..so I just have to wait for his response. What is the weather like?? Is there A/c??

Omg, I'm so excited. We've waited 5 freakin months to hear about orders. Is there a beach near by?? I seriously dont know anything about the east coast, lol.

Omg omg omg..my friend said that she's like 2 hours away from there!! YAY!! I havent seen her since 2004.

I'm getting so excited..can you tell?? LoL!! I wonder when we'll move. We'll probably be driving there (because we're taking our kitties and gotta take the car too.) Oh wow..I hope nothing messes up. Ughh..I wish Fonzo was home, so we could talk this over!!!! I'm gonna look at the military housing while I eat my lunch!!

Last edited by Shopaholic1204; 05-08-2008 at 03:52 PM.
Old 05-08-2008, 04:30 PM   #4  
NROL4W-Stage 5

S/C/G: 207/148.5/125

Height: 5'1.25"

Francie, Weather in MD is like VA/DC area....unpredictable Today it's been raining. Otherwise during summer it can go up to 100 degrees. NYC is about 4-5 hours drive from here. Sorry can't tell you much about the Naval Academy or military housing. But I'm sure it's similar to other areas. Ocean City, MD is about 3 hours drive. Like Chellez mentioned the Baltimore Aquarium is really nice and now they've added Australian side to it. Inner Harbor downtown Baltimore is great...Fells Point is pretty popular happening place in Baltimore. DC is close by again lots of stuff to do in DC depending on your interests. The harbor in Annapolis is also supposed to be nice but I haven't had a chance to go there yet. Annapolis mall is cool, there's a huge Outlet Mall in Hagerstown...

Maybe we can all have a 3FC party

This might help - Maryland

Hope this helps let me know if you have any more questions!

Last edited by pintobean; 05-08-2008 at 04:34 PM.
Old 05-08-2008, 04:33 PM   #5  
budding cinephile

S/C/G: 225/197.5/150

Height: 5'5 1/2"

a 3fc party for the VA / MD chickies would be fun
Old 05-08-2008, 04:34 PM   #6  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

"Its funny because my dad just got done telling me that I shouldn't go around thinking I'm going to get a job I love now that I have a degree."

So, why the heck not? Why shouldn't we all have jobs we love? Look at how many hours we spend working. Why can't we enjoy those hours while still earning a decent paycheck? I say, Go For It! Don't let anyone squash your dreams. I know that your Dad means well, but he's way off base on this one. So....on that note, I'm happy to say that I got some big nibbles on the lines I threw out within the company yesterday. There's a job opening up soon that I really think I'd love. I'm going for it!

Francie, I'm so happy for you! When does the big move happen? I was stationed at the Air Force base in Hampton, Virginia and I was with my Dad at the Air Force base in D.C. I've been in both Maryland and Pennsylvania. I love that whole area and I think you will love it, too.

It looks like the rain will hit us today, too. I'm hoping it's finished before our normal walk time or I might have to resort to the treadmill today.....blah! I much rather walk with Hubby outside.
Old 05-08-2008, 04:35 PM   #7  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chellez View Post
Why don't we just have a big party here in Georgia? It's sorta midway for a lot of us Bluesers.
Old 05-08-2008, 04:38 PM   #8  
NROL4W-Stage 5

S/C/G: 207/148.5/125

Height: 5'1.25"

Quote:
Originally Posted by chellez View Post
Cool I didn't think anyone would be interested. Maybe we can plan something.
Off to do my treadmill for the day...catch ya'll later
Old 05-08-2008, 04:41 PM   #9  
Just keep moving ...

S/C/G: 241/238/140

Height: Just short enough (aka 5'4")

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlyGirlSebas View Post
"So, why the heck not? Why shouldn't we all have jobs we love? Look at how many hours we spend working. Why can't we enjoy those hours while still earning a decent paycheck? I say, Go For It! Don't let anyone squash your dreams. I know that your Dad means well, but he's way off base on this one. So....on that note, I'm happy to say that I got some big nibbles on the lines I threw out within the company yesterday. There's a job opening up soon that I really think I'd love. I'm going for it!
Here's to all of us that are looking or wishing finding jobs that don't suck!
Old 05-08-2008, 04:46 PM   #10  
Accepting who she is

S/C/G: 173/see ticker/138

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlyGirlSebas View Post
I'm hoping it's finished before our normal walk time or I might have to resort to the treadmill today.....blah! I much rather walk with Hubby outside.
I hope we get a break long enough to put Meara in the stroller and at least do 5K. I will probably not wind through the other neighborhoods...hate to be far from home and have your baby get wet!

Also, I don't know what map you are looking at, but GA is central to nothing. Now, Indiana on the other hand....

Chelle--while you are plotting your career change, I highly recommend the book "The Four-hour Work Week." It might give you some things to mull over.

Francie--you must be over the moon!

More on salads since it is the season:
http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/diet....lad/index.html

Where are Selina and Bryan?

Last edited by onthetee; 05-08-2008 at 04:47 PM.
Old 05-08-2008, 04:51 PM   #11  
It's a life long struggle

S/C/G: 230/ticker/150

Im so bummed that I cant keep up with everyone. Im just popping in to say hi.
Old 05-08-2008, 04:56 PM   #12  
Believing is Seeing

S/C/G: 260/188/150

Height: 5'6"

Wow - it seems like the QOTD should be How often do you weigh, why and how does it make you feel? The following answers all apply to me (I weigh daily):

Like pintobean (Anjuli) - it's hard to see the scale's numbers unchanged . . .
Like tkglenn (Tawny) - I'm frustrated with the scale . . .
Like me_amarie (Amarie) - the scale is doing a little dance around the same number day after day . . .

However, I take heart in what these gals said:

Jillybean (Jill) - "we're in it for the long haul. . ."
girlygirlsebas (Rhonda) - "Use the scales as a tool. They are a fickle friend."
suitejudyblueeyes (Jamie) - "Our bodies are compicated mechanisms, very prone to fluctuations."

Here's an article that should encourage you scale watchers (like me):

Exercise program can
result in quick weight gain

This time of year, many people get serious about fitness and vigorously jump into various types of exercise programs. Typically, their immediate expectation is weight loss. However, a new exercise program can cause immediate weight gain, even if done right. This experience has probably curtailed the best fitness intentions for millions of people every year.
Take the case of a person starting up a new strength-training program with weight lifting. Their muscles are not accustomed to this type of exercise and they can become very sore during the days following the workout. Exercise physiologists call this phenomenon delayed-onset muscle soreness, or DOMS.
This type of soreness is thought to be caused by a variety of factors, including physical damage or minute tears in muscle tissue. In addition, the muscle tissue becomes inflamed and slightly swollen by fluid retention. This temporary retention of fluid can result in a 3- to 4-pound weight gain within a few days of the workout.
Most people are motivated enough to put up with muscle soreness, but if they are watching the scale go up, they can grow discouraged. Understanding that this is a normal and temporary phenomenon can help to maintain motivation. This is one reason many fitness experts recommend starting up an exercise program gradually, allowing your body to adapt to the new stresses. If you experience a significant amount of soreness, you are starting your exercise program with too much intensity.
After a couple weeks of strength training, some increase in muscle size will typically take place. Of course, this can show up as weight gain even though body fat is being lost. Muscle is heavier than fat, so a pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat.
Consequently, muscle development can mask fat loss if you are watching the scale. Yet, your waist, hips and thighs can be shrinking in size and your clothes will fit better. Also, an increase in muscle tissue results in increased calorie needs, even at rest.
A quick start-up to an aerobic exercise program can also result in immediate weight gain, partly related to the fluid retention of delayed-onset muscle soreness. But another natural phenomenon can increase the water content (and weight) of muscles even more.
As a person adapts to an aerobic exercise program, their muscles get better at storing carbohydrate in a form called glycogen. To muscles, glycogen is the storage form of high-octane fuel. During exercise, muscles break down glycogen to a high-energy source called glucose. A steady supply of glucose is essential for maintaining moderate- to high-intensity exercise.
So far, so good. But here's the rub: Along with each additional gram of glycogen stored in the muscles, about 3 grams of water are stored, resulting in a weight gain of as much as 2 to 4 pounds.
The increased storage of glycogen is important to the training program. It means extra carbohydrate calories from the diet are more likely to be stored as glycogen instead of fat. In the long run, this immediate weight gain will prove advantageous for the loss of body fat and maintenance of the loss. Increased glycogen storage also provides more of the high-octane fuel needed to maintain a quality training program that enhances overall health. If you start up a new exercise regimen, ignore the scale for at least a month and rest assured that you are doing the right thing for your body.

Dora

Last edited by Doragone; 05-08-2008 at 05:03 PM.
Old 05-08-2008, 05:10 PM   #13  
Started again Aug 21, 09

S/C/G: 237/204/165

Height: 5'9"

Man, we are a chatty bunch - I love it!!

Great article Dora, thanks for sharing! I've gone from 0 to 60 with my exercise in the last week and a half and I think this explains a lot of what I've been seeing on the scale... it helps to know its only temporary.
Old 05-08-2008, 05:19 PM   #14  
Believing is Seeing

S/C/G: 260/188/150

Height: 5'6"

Wanted to catch up on a few personals:

Echoing what Jill and Anjuli said about the Michael Thurmond plan - if any plan is too restrictive, it cannot truly become a lifestyle change and that's exactly why folks gain the weight back - from rebound starvation.

Karen - Congratulations on "rocking" the T-shirts!!! And a blue t-shirt is even better! Plus, being mistaken for, as you put it, "a VERY pretty girl . . .", should tell you something - YOU'RE a very pretty girl!!! I'm so happy for your NSV's.

Amarie - "rain makes me grouchy . . ." And you're moving to Oregon? Uh-oh.

Francie - up, down, up!!! Woohoo on going to Maryland!

Rhonda- Georgia sound great to me!

Out to the yard, it's overcast, but the soil is pliable and the weeds are gaining ground, GRRRR.

Oh, and as a side note, for anyone with time to read (???) I wrote a story called "Into The Sun" about my days as a hippie in Hollywood. There's some steamy stuff in there, and mind-pictures of the period. ``Kind of a fun trip.

Dora

Last edited by Doragone; 05-08-2008 at 05:21 PM.
Old 05-08-2008, 05:28 PM   #15  
Accepting who she is

S/C/G: 173/see ticker/138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doragone View Post
Wanted to catch up on a few personals:

Echoing what Jill and Anjuli said about the Michael Thurmond plan - if any plan is too restrictive, it cannot truly become a lifestyle change and that's exactly why folks gain the weight back - from rebound starvation.

Out to the yard, it's overcast, but the soil is pliable and the weeds are gaining ground, GRRRR.
Dora--excellent point on the plans. Also, I think that 11 g of fat may not be enough for good neural function.

About the weeds...KILL THEM, KILL THEM, KILL THEM DEAD!