South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 05-04-2008, 01:41 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 190/155/135

Height: 5'3"

Default Sf molasses or an alternative?

Hi I found a nice recipe for wheat germ oatmeal cookies.. but it calls for molasses.. is there an alternative, or a sf version? Maybe using SF syrup instead?
Let me know, thank you
tdiprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 07:31 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Maybe you could substitute the dark amber agave nectar for molasses, I think it would work pretty well.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 11:01 AM   #3  

What is the consistency of it? And I don't have agave nectar... I generally use splenda. How much does Agave nectar cost? thanks
Old 05-04-2008, 11:39 AM   #4  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdiprincess View Post
What is the consistency of it? And I don't have agave nectar... I generally use splenda. How much does Agave nectar cost? thanks
It's not very expensive--I bought a bottle of agave nectar at Whole Foods for less than 5 bucks, I think (I don't remember the exact cost). It pretty much has the consistency of honey. It does have calories, but it is natural and very low on the glycemic index compared to things like sugar and molasses. I doubt Splenda would work only because of the vast difference in texture/consistency.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 11:43 AM   #5  

Yes that was my thinking.. I was thinking maybe SF syrup. But we have a local organic and health food store, that I'd like to check out for the agave nectar and a couple other things... some of the grains... see what they have for beans.
Thanks ladies
Old 05-04-2008, 04:26 PM   #6  
Beach Bum

Height: 5' 7"

Trader Joe's sells Agave Nectar for about $2.50. I have not seen the dark amber though, but I haven't looked for it either. Agave Nectar isn't as thick as molasses, so you might need to reduce another wet ingredient a bit.
Another option would be to use a no sugar added fruit puree and add a bit of splenda if needed. No sugar added applesauce might give the texture and consistentcy, then add splenda "to taste" for the sweetness.
SkinnyDogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 10:12 PM   #7  

Thanks guys... Unfortunatley there are no TJ's in Buffalo.. there is a local Co-op that had some.. its was 7 bucks for a big bottle..not too bad, but not as good as TJ's... I wasn't able to find wheat germ...
I may just end up doing oatmeal, ww, oat bran, and then dried fruit cookies.. use the agave nectar and maybe a little splenda... I think I will take a basic oatmeal cookie recipe and replace the flours, sugars, and add-ins with SB friendly things...
So are Craisins allowed(dried cranberries)? What else would be good? DH is not a fan of nuts in cookies...so no to those..
Old 05-05-2008, 12:51 AM   #8  
Beach Bum

Height: 5' 7"

most dried fruits have added sugar, you have to read all the labels. Only those dried fruits with no sugar added would be ok.
SkinnyDogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 06:11 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Eden Foods makes a line of dried fruits using unsweetened apple juice instead of adding sugar. I like to use them in my baking, and also in my cereal.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 09:07 AM   #10  

I'll have to look around. Thanks guys. I'm kind of excited to be making cookies This morning I had fruit with breakfast.. It was very yummy