Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 05-02-2008, 02:18 PM   #1  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Default CSA - You have one? When does it start? What you getting?

Tomorrow is my first day of my first CSA. I have no clue what I'm getting although I know generally what I might get.

Do you have a CSA this year? Has it started yet? What have you gotten? How are you using your foods? etc etc.

(I really just wanted to start a thread for those with CSAs as I'm excited!)
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 03:05 PM   #2  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

I'm still trying to sort it out... There is an excellent one (one of a few, actually) in Boulder, but the location and pick up time is not convenient. In fact, it's impossible. The only other one in Denver area is in Aurora, which is also quite far from where we live. Sooo, we may have to just keep going to our farmer's market, which is great. We also just got a Sunflower Market, which I'm excited about!
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 07:04 PM   #3  
Working My Way Back Down

I'm still with my fly-in CSA from Washington. But Tuesday will be my last box for awhile. My DH is leaving the next week, and it's way too much for me alone. He'll be gone til June, and by then our Farmer's Market will be going, plus we can get stuff from the local organic farm on Friday evenings (they do a CSA too, but we grow a lot of our veggies so really don't need one in the summer.)

I get a box every other Tuesday. This coming one will have:
1 bunch Carrots
1 each Purple Garlic
0.34 pound Baby Spinach
0.75 pound Zucchini
0.75 pound Roma Tomatoes
2 each Green Bell Peppers
0.4 pound Green Beans
4 each Cameo Apples *
1 each Red Leaf Lettuce
4 each Minneola Tangelos
1 each Cucumbers
3 each Kiwi
1 bunch Broccoli
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 10:44 AM   #4  
Just Me

Went and picked up our veggies this morning. We got green beans, radishes and spinach (curly leaf?). We were told next time we will get some asparagus and strawberries as well.
Old 05-03-2008, 11:07 AM   #5  
Observer of Phenomena

Height: 5' 4"

We have a ton of CSA's where I live, but I've always been hesitant to join because I'm so picky about the types of fruits and veggies I like. (For example, I like pink lady, honey crisp, and gala apples, but I'm not crazy about other varieties.) Also, I don't always have time to find new recipes for veggies I haven't worked with before. I'd hate to see stuff go to waste.

Nelie, I'm looking forward to hearing more about how it goes!
3Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 11:35 AM   #6  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

Height: 5' 7"

Arrrggggghhh. I can't believe I live in a semi-rural area in a county with lots of agriculture and the CSA's are too far away to be practical. There are two that look interesting but either would be 40 minutes away with light traffic. (Not with these gas prices) Think tomatoes, strawberries, citrus being provided throughout the country from my county and no CSA nearby. People at work participate in one of the two that's too far from me and the CSA even delivers to their home. I'm just too far away.

Last edited by WebRover; 05-03-2008 at 11:36 AM.
WebRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 02:38 PM   #7  
Working My Way Back Down

Webrover, would they deliver to your work? Do you have farmer's markets? I think that would be an option for 3Beans as well (I kept typing 3 Bears as that's a store near here ) Also, my CSA gives me the list 3-4 days ahead (email) and I can make up to 5 substitutions. I have successfully avoided things I don't eat that way.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 06:38 PM   #8  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

I'm so jealous - our CSA doesn't start for a couple more weeks. There are so many CSAs around here that several have interesting options. Ours sends an email list of available produce each week and we get to choose our share amount, or more if there's enough. Another one a little further away has a picking garden members can visit anytime along with their regular produce. next year I might switch to the one that started a couple of weeks ago with baby Japanese greens.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 09:08 AM   #9  
Just Me

From my CSA this week, I got the following
Radishes (I use the radish and the greens in my salads)
English peas - I had never had fresh peas before and a couple weeks ago when I got them for the first time, I didn't know what they were! They are delish. I never cared much for frozen peas but fresh peas are divine.
Asparagus
Strawberries
Spinach
Old 05-21-2008, 09:38 AM   #10  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterRat View Post
Also, my CSA gives me the list 3-4 days ahead (email) and I can make up to 5 substitutions. I have successfully avoided things I don't eat that way.
Yes, Pat, that is what I really LOVE about Full Circle Farms! (Thanks for the referral, btw!) I have put in permanent items I do not want to receive - spinach and spring mix for example - since I can get them organic at Costco for cheaper and in a larger quantity. And I usually use up the full 5 substitutions each week depending on out needs. You'd think it's Christmas on Wednesdays when we go pick up out box! The girls get so excited to see what's in it each week.

Today I will go get our box and this is what's in it:
1 bunch Carrots
2 bunches Broccoli
10 each Cameo Apples
3 each Red D'Anjou Pears
0.6 pound Cremini Mushrooms
1.25 pounds Green Beans
1 each Ruby Grapefruit
2 each Cucumbers
1.25 pounds Leeks
6 each Valencia Oranges
1.25 pounds Roma Tomatoes
*Plus, I added to my box: rhubarb, more apples, bell peppers
Nori71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 09:57 AM   #11  
I am a thin person!

S/C/G: 215/tracker/135

Default Csa?

What is this?
362638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 05:56 AM   #12  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Collards (warm collard slaw for dinner), beet greens, chard, and komatsuna - yes, I do love greens My CSA sends a list of choices each week so I get exactly what I want. I can't wait to try the komatsuna, that's a new one for me.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 05:00 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by 362638 View Post
What is this?
ditto
4myloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 05:05 PM   #14  
Just Me

CSA stands for community supported agriculture. Basically you pay a farm at the beginning of the season for a share in the seasons crops. Generally weekly, you either pick up or have the share delivered to you. I pick up my share at a local farmers market.

http://www.localharvest.org/ can help you locate a CSA in your area.
Old 06-13-2008, 05:47 PM   #15  
Getting healthy!

S/C/G: 275/ticker/140

I will definitely be doing CSA next year but I moved twice over the winter/spring so couldn't do it this year. I'm a bit jealous of those of you who get boxes of goodies! But my farmer's market is open for the season now and that's always exciting. Hoping someone will have strawberries tomorrow!
enchantedonyx is offline   Reply With Quote