South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 04-30-2008, 05:05 PM   #1  
Beach Bum

Height: 5' 7"

Talking SBD Waldorf Salad-phase 2

I put together this recipe from several sources blended to get the ingredient list I wanted.

Waldorf Salad
6 apples chopped (I used 3 Braeburns & 3 Granny Smiths)
1-2 Tbsp lime or lemon juice drizzled over apples to help stop browning
1 cup finely chopped celery
1 cup (8 oz pkg) dried cherries-no sugar added, chopped
~1.5 cups pecan-chopped, toasted in 350 oven ~10mins (I had an 8 oz pkg and used about 6 oz of it)
1.5 Tbsp Agave Nectar
1 cup yogurt (I only had 6 oz vanilla, nonfat yogurt w/splenda-worked well)
3 Tbsp light sour cream
1/2 cup mayo (I used 1/4 cup full fat mayo & 1/4 cup mayo made w/olive oil-half the calories and less than half the fat)
vanilla extract (if not using vanilla flavored yogurt)

Turn oven on to heat to 350. Toast the pecan pieces while chopping. Throw this all in a big bowl to mix. Chop up the apples-leave skins on, drizzle w/lime/lemon juice, chop celery & cherries. Then add all the wet ingredients on top-agave nectar, yogurt, sour cream, mayo and vanilla. Mix this all together. Add the pecans, mix in. Store in fridge to let flavors meld together.

My intention was to use 0% fat plain greek yogurt and vanilla, but mine was sadly out of date, the 6oz cup of vanilla flavored did the trick. You might need to add a bit of splenda or more agave nectar if using plain yogurt
This recipe as is, made a HUGE amount. It filled my 12 cup tupperware container. I also think it would taste just as good with about half the amount of dried cherries and less pecans--maybe only 4 0z.

Optional ingredients from some of the recipe sources, but not used this go round:
1/3-3/4 cup dried cranberries, 1 fennel bulb thinly sliced instead of celery,
1.5 cup seedless red or green grapes, halved, 1/4 cup or more walnuts, raisins-2 Tbsp or more, cinnamon ~1/2-1 tsp, 1.5 cup chopped radishes, 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion

Last edited by SkinnyDogMom; 04-30-2008 at 05:07 PM.
SkinnyDogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 05:42 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/155/135

Height: 5'3"

hmm that sounds yummy. I've never been a fan of this salad, but it sounds yummy! Ill have to try it.
tdiprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 07:04 PM   #3  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

That sounds really good....especially with the fennel instead of celery and the grapes instead of cherries. It reminds me of the waldorf salad my mom used to make.

What about taking the mayo out altogether....we're not really fans. I usually don't have a problem using plain yogurt or greek yogurt.

Thanks for the recipe! I'm going to make it soon, and if it turns out great, I'll use it at my son's birthday party!

Last edited by zeffryn; 04-30-2008 at 07:05 PM.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 07:50 PM   #4  
Beach Bum

Height: 5' 7"

After the salad sat in the fridge a few hours, it is a bit sweeter than I like. I didn't add any splenda except what was in the 6 oz of vanilla yogurt. I guess next time a bit less agave nectar. I would like it a bit more creamy, so I'll also add a couple more Tbsp's of yogurt.
SkinnyDogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 08:15 PM   #5  

I was going to make a waldorf salad last night but it turned into something completely different: broccoli, walnuts, raisins, scallions, goat cheese, yogurt ranch dressing, and chopped chicken. I completely forgot to put the apple in.
Dinahgirl is offline   Reply With Quote