Old 04-30-2008, 09:48 AM   #1  
I deserve to feel good!

S/C/G: 250/225/150

Height: 5'5"

Default The 20 Worst Foods In America

Found this article on the 20 worst foods in america, they're all categorized into worst chinese entree, worst drink, worst burger, worst salad, etc. etc. I was blown away by the number one worst food (hint - you get it at Outback Steakhouse!)

Link - 20 Worst Foods
wisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 09:55 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

This is very eye opening. For instance - you wouldn't think a turkey burger what have that many calores.

I always try to an online menu at a restaurant in advance of going whenever possible.

Thanks for this.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:01 AM   #3  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

As bad as it is, those cheese fries look great. I love cheese fries soooooooooo much. *drools*
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:01 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 274/259/135

Height: 5'4

OMG that's awful! (but great to know!) what's even worse is that I've had at least three things on that list!! Chipotle chicken burrito, fish tacos from On the Border, and spaghetti and meatballs from Mac Grill. Ugh!
DCchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:11 AM   #5  
In Onderland!!!!

S/C/G: 227/227/140

Height: 5'4

OMG!! Luckily I have not ate most of the things on that list but I have had plenty of the Outback Steakhouse Aussie Cheese Fries with Ranch Dressing which was one of my favorites!! Just being curious, I went to see what it would cost me in WW points and it's a whopping 72 POINTS!!! If I ate one of those now, I would not be able to eat for the next two and a half days!!
wendymeows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:32 AM   #6  
No description available.

So interesting! I would have guessed the worst pasta dish would involve alfredo sauce, so that was a surprise to me. The turkey burger is also disappointing. I've learned that even when I apply what I know about nutrition and try to make a better choice, the calories are still surprisingly high.

It can be so hard to lose weight if one eats out often. I think that limiting my meals out and about has been one of the most meaningful changes in my weight loss efforts.

Thanks for the link. It was fun....and strangely horrifying!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:36 AM   #7  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

OMG no wonder it seems like everyone in the world is FAT!!!! Speaking of crappy fast food.... I wish there was a drive-thru that specialized in only HEALTHY yummy food, I bet it would make a fortune!
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 12:19 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

Is it bad that I think those cheese fries look soooo good too. They remind me of the cheese fries you can get at Eskimo Joe's. That was a staple any time I went there and ate in college.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 12:39 PM   #9  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Okay, I seriously needed to stop looking at this stuff after only hitting the first 3 or 4.

When I first saw this, the first thought that came to mind for me was that fried bloomin' onion, and there it was at number 2. I stopped at that vanilla pie chocolate dessert thing. I would truly have no trouble eating that entire thing. So yeah, I've looked enough.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 12:50 PM   #10  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

None of those really surprise me but other than the Chipotle Burrito, I've never had any of those. Even when I was eating meat, I'd split the Burrito and limit the higher calorie options (less rice, no sour cream, minimal cheese). Although really, On the Border should win for worst mexican entree but I guess it is good to point out Chipotle. On the Border's food is so horrible tasting, I can't imagine how they can stuff all those calories into such bad food.

I've always hated cheese fries (even though I loved cheese) so I couldn't imagine that tasting good for any of my former selves.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 01:49 PM   #11  
Taking life by the horns

S/C/G: 302/ticker/215

Height: 6'1"

Oh RockinRobin--- I love you!!! Even after all that weight loss, you still talk like a "normal" person. I too looked at those foods and was DROOLING. It makes me crazy when other people say "I've lost 50 pounds and I don't even crave anything like that anymore. Or I would barely be able to eat a 1/2 slice before I got sick." NOT ME. Oh man, I too could eat that entire pie.

It's just good to know that there are other SUCCESSFUL people out there who still think like me--- let's me know that I can NEVER let my guard down b/c these *thoughts* might not go away forever just b/c I lose the weight.
BrandNewJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 02:18 PM   #12  

Height: 5'5"

This was eye-opening for me. I only recently became a calorie counter (okay, a year ago), and I only eat out occasionally, so I never really realized how many calories some of these things have. Can you imagine pairing one of those appetizers with one of those entrees and desserts? Is there any question why obesity has become "epidemic?"

Thanks for sharing. I just happen to be in a place where all the greasy, rich foods are really repelling me, so it was a good time for me to check them out. But, like Jen and Robin, if I'm in the right mood, I could completely down most of those things - but too much would definitely make me feel sick. (Of course, that doesn't mean I wouldn't do it, much to my chagrine.)
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 02:27 PM   #13  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandNewJen View Post
Oh RockinRobin--- I love you!!! Even after all that weight loss, you still talk like a "normal" person. I too looked at those foods and was DROOLING. It makes me crazy when other people say "I've lost 50 pounds and I don't even crave anything like that anymore. Or I would barely be able to eat a 1/2 slice before I got sick." NOT ME. Oh man, I too could eat that entire pie.

It's just good to know that there are other SUCCESSFUL people out there who still think like me--- let's me know that I can NEVER let my guard down b/c these *thoughts* might not go away forever just b/c I lose the weight.
Jen, I will tell you, my cravings were really gone - for a while. But that have returned. I think it's because when I hit maintenance, I ALLOWED myself the sugary,carby stuff, though in tiny portions and with rules attached and all that. But I've no doubt that's why the cravings have come back.

But as far as eating the entire pie, I probably was exaggerating a bit. I really and truly would not be able to physically get that whole pie down, at least niot in one sitting . My stomach has shrunk tremendously and you will see that yours will too. WHAT a blessing.

I did take a peek at the rest of those foods. The only other one that appeals to me, is the worst breakfast. Stuffed pancakes with pecans and I don't remember what else. The other stuff, no intrerest in it at all. Oh not true. I always did like lo mein.

And Jen, sad to say it, we can never let our guards down. Never. But that's okay, I don't want to scare you. There are ways to safeguard against putting the weight back on. All those wonderul new healthy foods that I've found (& adore), the planning ahead, the calorie tracking and oodles of other healthy habits that are now ingrained in me. And oh yeah, AVOIDING LIKE THE PLAGUE, those restaurants mentioned in that article.

EDITED TO ADD: I just looked again. Meatballs and spaghetti are one of my favs, but I can easily pass it up. Same with the pizza.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 04-30-2008 at 02:31 PM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 03:48 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 305/300/1-236/2-180

Height: 5' 6"

wow, that is amazing! There were a lot of things that I never even really thought about on that list, thanks for the eye opener!
Rayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 04:37 PM   #15  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

I recently picked up the book Eat this; Not That by David Zinczenko (he of the Abs Diet books). You can get it at Amazon or just about anywhere else.

Anyway, it is also an eye opener and definitely lists its No 1 and No 2 exactly as the article you posted does. The good thing about the book though is that it also makes suggestions for just about every fast food chain out there about the better choices as well as the awful choices.

You might enjoy it.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote