Old 04-29-2008, 06:49 PM   #1  
poco a poco

S/C/G: 246/166.5/158

Height: 5'5"

Default What do you cook for others?

I went to a family funeral the other day and there was much food brought to the house but most of it was on the calorie-laden side. It was, of course much appreciated, but it made me start thinkng about the sorts of things I prepare for others.
What path do you take? Signature dishes that get raved over but may be full of fat or more healthy options?
I think I will send more healthy options from now on, assuming they will get the other types of food from other people.
Nada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 06:57 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Healthy Signature Dishes!

I make several "showstopper" dishes, all of which are 100% on plan for me...I have appetizers, entrees, casseroles...so I bring those.

You're right that most people receiving lots of options tend to get the more calorie-laden ones. I know that when others provide food for me, I almost never get any vegetables. A well-cooked veggie dish might be awesome.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 07:03 PM   #3  
Made of Starstuff

I try to make the healthier dishes. But, I'm still searching for "the one" that people will rave about, but is still on the healthier side. It's my mission! I'll find it
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 07:52 PM   #4  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

shallowed fried talapia, covered in chilli powder. served up with a mixed leaf salad drizzled in flax seed oil and mixed herbs
slimmingsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 07:53 PM   #5  
Becomming a Monster

when it comes to chilli or curry the hotter the better, i like the kinda food where you put your toilet paper in the fridge in preparation for the next day
Old 04-29-2008, 08:30 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I don't really do "heart attack on a plate," recipes, no matter who I'm cooking for, but I do take into account who I am cooking for, and what their tastes might be. Most of my potluck, party, and gifted meals are relatively healthy, but not obviously so - no one would think I'm trying to put them on a diet against their will.

I often add tvp (soy) granules to my ground beef mixtures, but never served it, or many other "diet recipes," to company until a couple years ago I was making taco meat when a bunch of my husband's friends stopped by and hubby asked if they could stay for dinner. I added tvp to make the taco meat stretch for the crowd, and the guys all loved it, asking it for my "secret" to tacos that weren't greasy but tasted great.

Now I have a lot of healthy potluck standbys. I also have quite a few recipes that aren't super low calorie, and are just plain tastey, but they're not overly fatty either. Like my chili. I make it for my husband's gaming friends because most of them love super hot food. I usually make it mild enough for my husband who is the "wimp" of the group (for him, it can be spicy, but not blistering), and then supply hot sauces, red chili flakes, and ground jalapeno for those who want it hotter. I like to make it with chunks of lean beef or pork steak rather than ground meat, and either include lots of beans or serve it with beans on the side. I also include a lot of veggies, and sometimes tomato juice or V-8. It's lean, but not super lean.

I really don't do "death by chocolate," or other super crazy fat-filled concoctions. It's not a philisophical issue, I just don't eat it, so I don't think to make it. I make things I like and assume other people will too, and I'm usually right. One of my favorite healthy recipes for potlucks is a vegetable salad. I buy mixed frozen vegetables (Walmart's asparagus or snap pea stir fry blend is a favorite). The night before the event, I put them in a bowl (frozen) and add chopped onion, and sometimes some of the following: celery, green pepper, pickled mild pepper rings, olives, baby tomatoes, minced garlic, artichoke hearts, baby corn... and then a salad dressing and let it thaw in the fridge overnight. For the dressing, I usually an oil and vinegar based dressing, but french is very good also. Even using a full fat italian dressing, the salad is pretty light, but I usually make my own light dressing, or dilute a bottled full fat dressing by adding mild rice wine vinegar and a little splenda.

It's always a great hit at potlucks and I almost always get a request for the recipe.

Last edited by kaplods; 04-29-2008 at 08:33 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 11:56 PM   #7  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimmingsi View Post
when it comes to chilli or curry the hotter the better, i like the kinda food where you put your toilet paper in the fridge in preparation for the next day

You owe me a new keyboard!!!

Last edited by SuchAPrettyFace; 04-29-2008 at 11:57 PM.
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 07:26 AM   #8  
Becomming a Monster

i must put a disclaimer on my comments then
Old 04-30-2008, 08:34 AM   #9  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

When I need to bring something to someone's home, & ESPECIALLY if I'm there to eat it, then I definitely bring something healthy & delicious. Butternut Squash Soup travels well in containers and gets HUGE raves. Or a spectacular salad. Everyone always appreciates that.

But if I'm sending something to someone where I won't be eating it, I will admit, I usually send something - caloric. Time to rethink that.......

Last edited by rockinrobin; 04-30-2008 at 09:12 AM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 08:47 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

I usually bring soup, chili, or turkey and noodles. Sometimes I'll ask what they want. Depends on the situation.

When my neighbor had her twins I wanted to take over dinner one night. She was so glad I asked. She had so many "casserole" type things. But, she was craving a taco supper - so that's what I made.

When my Dad died...we were thankful for everything folks brought in But- really loved the big salad.

Good thing to think about.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 09:26 AM   #11  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

When people come to my house to eat, I usually make something fancy and a bit heavy on the calories side - because they only eat it once in a blue moon might as well make it spectacular LOL and I'll just eat some of the meat and salad perhaps. When DH has to take something to a pot luck, again, it's heavy on the calories but the dish always comes back empty Usually "brownie" related hahahah When I"M going to be eating it too, I usually make a taco salad and assemble it there so it's nice and fresh -- I use ground beef/ground turkey no one knows the difference, with a light creamy dressing, it's awesome and not too bad calorie-wise
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 09:33 AM   #12  
3 + years maintaining

I used to think that when I was having guest over that I couldn't serve them "my food". In fact the year that I was losing I simply avoided having guests over all together because I didn't want to cook any "bad" food. But I love to entertain and I missed it lots, so I decided from now on my company will get what I eat. And of course what I eat is absolutely FANTASTIC and DELICIOUS and anyone and EVERYONE can enjoy it. Heck, if I didn't enjoy it, I wouldn't be eating it and sticking with this lifestyle. So from now on my company gets what I eat and they LOVE it. LOVE it. I have some spectacular, like MAndalinn says, showstoppers, that are "premium restaurant" worthy.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:08 AM   #13  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

hehehe my friends would have my head on a platter if I didnt' make my chocolate truffle cheesecake with hot raspberry sauce! There's no substitute in the world that can make that bad-boy healthy LOL
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:27 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

When I have to bring a "dish to pass" - it's always something I can eat. Last weekend we went to a potluck farewell party for a colleague of DH's. He signed up for cake and icecream. I thought I had him better 'trained' that that. So, I also took my favorite side dish - greenbeans. It's a wonderful 'go to' dish. I take several cans of drained french style green beans, add nuked chopped mushrooms, garlic powder and some EVOO. It's SO good and I can eat alot. It's a good thing I did because - there was alot of fatty foods there.

When folks come here - it's mainly healthy tastey things. I often ask others to bring the dessert and then take the leftover goodies home.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 04-30-2008 at 01:06 PM.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 12:44 PM   #15  
3 + years maintaining

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trazey34 View Post
hehehe my friends would have my head on a platter if I didnt' make my chocolate truffle cheesecake with hot raspberry sauce! There's no substitute in the world that can make that bad-boy healthy LOL
Chocolate Truffle Cheesecake with Hot Raspberry Sauce???????? Oh my, oh my.

Forgive me people, dare I ask - Trazey - I want that recipe, I think .