South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 04-29-2008, 12:20 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 267.2/ticker/140

Height: 5'5"

Default Make and Take Gourmet and SB

Do you ladies think that some of the foods at Make and Take could be SB friendly? or could be made to be so?

I'm just looking to get some prepared foods in my house - that are more healthy than "TV dinners" and boxed stuff - for the summer. DH and I spend most evenings outside working till the sun sets, then I'm supposed to come in and cook?!? I don't think so! I'm hoping that these meals will be yummy, and healthy - for both of us. Not to mention FAST!!!

Here's a link to my local Make and Take, as well as the menu I'm thinking about preparing - some of the things are for him - not me

http://secure.makeandtakegourmet.com...iption&model=1

Greek "fish" in Foil Herb-Grilled Shrimp Skewers with Lemon-Herb Feta Peach Pork Picante Cajun Grilled Pork Chops Mango-Chutney Chicken Calzones Sautéed Chicken in Dijon-Cream Sauce Portabella Parmesan Sensational Steak Kabobs

Thanks ladies!!!
iammare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 12:35 PM   #2  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

If you make the meals yourself at the place, just be sure that the ingrediants are all SB compliant and it should be ok. The only problem may be no labels on ingrediants, but it seems like they should supply nutional info.

The only thing I see on the menu that looks SB "friendly" would be the fish in foil, and the shrimp kabobs without the rice, and maybe the steak kabobs depending on what is in marinade.

Just me, but if you are working outside, how about just grilling something quick outside. We work outside too a lot in the summer and I'll marinate stuff and then just throw it on the grill and then throw together a quick salad and boom, it's done. During the summer I also like to keep marinated cucumber/tomatos etc in the fridge for something quick to grab.

Last edited by femmecreole; 04-29-2008 at 12:49 PM.
femmecreole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 02:06 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 267.2/ticker/140

Height: 5'5"

Cat, really, only 3? I was hoping it was more. When I go to put everything together, I guess I'll just put the sauces on the side. Then put them on DHs serving and leave them off mine. Grilled chicken with no sauce is still yummy!

As for cooking on the grill in the summer... it's only a weekend thing for us. I need something that I can throw into the oven while I'm taking a shower after yard work during the week. Usually we eat a lot of salad, and still will, I'm just looking for something else as well.

Thanks.
iammare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 02:49 PM   #4  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

that's all I see, but maybe if someone else takes a look???

All the others seem to have white pasta, white flour, cream sauces, unknown marinades which may have sugar etc.

If you grill on the weekends, then grill a whole lot of stuff, like chicken,fish, vegs etc and then you can just throw it on top of salad the rest of the week when you come in from working. I just ordered a neat grill basket for vegs...can't wait for it to come in.

Last edited by femmecreole; 04-29-2008 at 02:56 PM.
femmecreole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 02:54 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 190/155/135

Height: 5'3"

A lot of them look "OK" for P2.. the portabella parmasean (I think I may try making that...sounds yummy) the peach pork salsa dish.. the chicken wraps... (although you should see if those are WW... Overall it looks like more of a healthier going out choice...but not really a good everyday alternative. If you're gonna be working outside a lot, I'd go with femme on the grilling. Or once a week make something big and have quick easy leftovers for the week. I like to do that.. I'll be doing that tonight.
tdiprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 03:12 PM   #6  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

I only saw two that would be SB compliant. The steak kebabs look like they are marinated in something sweet.....probably not splenda either. Forgo the rice with the shrimp kebabs. The fish packets look pretty decent. I looked again and saw that the portabello parmesan looks ok as well, just make sure the sauce is sugar free, the breadcrumbs are WW and the cheese is reduced fat....which they probably aren't. I did Super Suppers for awhile when I had just had DS and I found that getting ww alternatives (brown rice, ww pasta, etc.) wasn't an option. It might be with Make and Take, but I'm not sure.

You would probably be better off cooking large meals on a day that you guys don't have as much to do -- a Sunday or something -- and then freezing smaller portions for the upcoming week. In the evening all you will have to do is heat the meal and add a veggie or something....basically what you have to do with the Make and Take stuff...but healthier, and easier to make sure it is SBD compliant. You also may want to check out Once a Month cooking. It doesn't work for me because I have next to no freezer space, but my SIL does it and loves it. She only has to really cook once a month.

Last edited by zeffryn; 04-29-2008 at 03:16 PM.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote