Old 04-28-2008, 06:19 AM   #1  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Thumbs up 4/28 - 5/4 Atkins Angels Chat

Its a new week Ladies...lets make it a good one!!!
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 09:28 AM   #2  
Stepping Up

S/C/G: 228/ticker/160

Height: 5ft 9.5

hi! i'm new but im an atkins girl all the way, anm i ok to post here
PrettyPaula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 09:37 AM   #3  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyPaula View Post
hi! i'm new but im an atkins girl all the way, anm i ok to post here
Paula!!

Of course its ok for you to post here We'd love to hear all about you! How long have you been on Atkins & what are your goals?

Welcome to the group, we hope to see you here often!

All the best to you!
Kim
Old 04-28-2008, 09:45 AM   #4  
Stepping Up

hi Kim! Thanks for the warm welcome and well done on your amazing and motivating success!

Well i'm 24, im a college student studying History and i also work as a manager part time. I'm engaged, and i live in a lovely part of england, most know as robin hood country

I've flirted with Atkins before but never done a strict induction. i struggled as my first low carb experience was a plan which is censored here when i type it? not good.

My metabolism is awful, i am totally intolerent to carbohydrates and doing low carb in england is very very hard work. You get alot of lectures and talks from various people who have been brainwashed into believing fat is bad and will kill you.

Im currently 211 pounds, im 5ft 10 and think my initial goal weight is 170 although this may change.

I made the decision to do atkins properly last night and i started this morning.

Ive been grocery shopping, printed off the acceptable foods list and feel ready to face the challenges that i know are coming my way!

Last edited by PrettyPaula; 04-28-2008 at 09:46 AM.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:20 AM   #5  
aud
lc lifestyle

S/C/G: 254/234/139

Height: 5'6"

Hi & Welcome to PrettyPaula! It's the same thing here in the States as far as folks brainwashed about Low Fat etc.

Can be irritating.

I'm on Strict Induction myself . . . struggling with some depression medication issues PLUS life issues . . . but hanging in there.

Is sylvia back from the Midwest yet?
aud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 11:41 AM   #6  
Larry's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyPaula View Post
I've flirted with Atkins before but never done a strict induction. i struggled as my first low carb experience was a plan which is censored here when i type it? not good.

We live & learn from our mistakes. Over the years, I tried various low fat diets thinking they were going to work, which obviously, when I reached 245 lbs, I came to the conclusion I needed to try something different

My metabolism is awful, i am totally intolerent to carbohydrates and doing low carb in england is very very hard work. You get alot of lectures and talks from various people who have been brainwashed into believing fat is bad and will kill you.

Let me tell you something Paula, the lectures & the talk against Atkins from brainwashed, ignorant people is just as common in the US. IF Atkins killed people...I'd have been dead years ago! I just chalk it up to people being uneducated regarding low carb. My real problem is with the medical profession & their brainwashing of people! They preach & preach "low fat"...yet, obesity & diabetes are in epidemic proportions! Ummmm....HELLO...wake up & smell the coffee...something ain't working here! Back in December, my DBF was told he has high cholesterol and IMMEDIATELY the Dr. wanted to put him on Lipitor, I said "NO WAY!"...Since then, he's lost 35 lbs. doing pretty much low carb. He'll be getting his cholesterol re-checked in August...I'll keep you posted on his progress

Im currently 211 pounds, im 5ft 10 and think my initial goal weight is 170 although this may change.

I made the decision to do atkins properly last night and i started this morning.

Ive been grocery shopping, printed off the acceptable foods list and feel ready to face the challenges that i know are coming my way!
Making the decision to change your life is the biggest step! You CAN do this!!!

All the best to you!!
Old 04-28-2008, 02:31 PM   #7  
Stepping Up

thankyou Aud and Kim!

fiance and i have been looking at some trips to the USA for my graduation in 2 years time...

We found an awesome fly drive for like £1699 each... 2 weeks... but you go to new york, miami, then nevada with a helicopter ride over the grand canyon, then 4 days in LA in the beverley hilton... all 4 star hotels and car hire and flights included... we think this is what we will book!
Old 04-28-2008, 10:31 PM   #8  
aud
lc lifestyle

How'd you today Paula?

I've had the best Induction day I've had in I can't remember when - Tx for the inspiration!

Drank protein shakes & had salads with tuna - tryingto flush the carb toxins with clean Induction Foods plus plenty of water. Not so good on the exercise but that will come - trying to have faith here!

Bad with translating pounds to American $ - but that sounds like a trip of a lifetime!

No Monday Atkins Chatters?
Old 04-29-2008, 01:48 AM   #9  
Fay

S/C/G: 240/see ticker/140

Height: 5/3

Paula, that sounds fab! (Aud, I always estimate that one pound = two dollars. It's imprecise, but it's generally in the neighbourhood, you know? I've been doing this for 20 years, and it's generally pretty close.)

::scurries off to Yahoo currency converter::

Yeah - as of today one dollar = 50p. So Paula's trip is about $3,380
broadabroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 04:19 AM   #10  
Stepping Up

expensive but so worth it!! i think i will deserve it after 4 gruelling years at university huh!

no scale movement yet for me but give it a couple days i should be moving fine!

I ate a gorgeous dinner last night: chicken breast stuffed with feta cheese, wrapped in bacon, with a green salad and green beans.

This morning ive had eggs, bacon and mushrooms for lunch im planning tuna mayo salad i think.... maybe some celery with cream cheese for a snack

Dinner today will be chicken with lime and coriander marinade with brocolli, and a pepper stuffed with more pepper, celery, mushrooms, onions and garlic.

i had physio this morning, im suffering with a bulging disc in my back and this was my 3rd session... i feel ok now but i know i will be in agony later on

Also popped to my doctors to see about hepatitis C jabs before i go to egypt in June, booked in for them in late May now... great one more thing ticked off of my list of things to organise!

how is everyone, how were your evenings?
Old 04-29-2008, 10:28 AM   #11  
aud
lc lifestyle

Handy conversion rule - doesn't sound expensive at all for all the things you'll do paula! Faye has been to Egypt too!

Small World.

Wasn't hungry til I started reading about food!

Off to get some breakie . . . .
Old 04-29-2008, 11:53 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 195/188/140

Height: 5 ft. 3 inches

Default Welcome Paula

Hi PrettyPaula:

You are a historian; I am a English Lit person down in London. Yes, even Academics need Atkns. I have been doing induction for fourweeks now, and though I lost 12 pounds, I seem to have, without noticing it, gained 4 of them back! In just a few days. SO I am back on pure induction again... I think your menu for today sounds utterly delicious.

I have had two eggs and a slice of cheee, and a casesar salad for lunch, and am thinking of something chickeny for dinner.

Fay -- yes, well, it is sort of multiverses, etc. In the late 1680s everybody was talking about infinity and there are lots of poems which explore flying into outer space and seeing all these suns with planets around them -- it great stuff. I haven't learned much about today's theories but I bet they are connected to the ones as far back as Lucretius, who was the first (in 1st century Greece) to reall formulate a theory of the plurality of worlds. My problem is that I only have 25 minutes to speak in, and I have about a gazillion pages of notes!

Oy.
Love to all Angels Riby
RubyJan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 03:26 PM   #13  
Hello Friend

S/C/G: 230/205/140

Height: 5'7"

Hi all !

Welcome Paula! Your trip sounds wonderful!!

I've been feeling a little low these days. I'm back on strict induction, seems like all I mannaged to do for the winter is lose and regain the same 5-10lbs. Got to break the habbit of going on and off plan. Even a few nuts sends me back up. Still reading GCBC. It has been very enlightening so far.

I hope your doing OK Sylvia.
Puncezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 10:59 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 203/157/125

Height: 5'4"

Hello, Angels. Thank you all for the kind words and thoughts and prayers.

I am back from Chicago. It was good to see my family. I even met one on my mom's cousins. But it is still throwing me for a loop. Being in a hotel for four days and traveling for ten hours on two of those days, and just not having enough food/vegetables/fat, is really taking a toll on me. I used raw, unsalted almonds and raw, unsalted, unshelled sunflower seeds to hold me at the airports and all the other days when I couldn't get a decent meal. BTW, my sister is a vegetarian. So, the first night in town she takes me to a vegan restaurant. Her thinking was that even though it wasn't meat it was protein [made from soy?] and that was good for me. "There can't be that many carbs in it, right? It is still protein just made from soy." I could have screamed. I really have no idea what I was eating. No it didn't taste like chicken. Chicken tastes like chicken. And everything was fat free. Basically, I starved. I also got a few of those Atkins bars. I just had to have something other than nuts and seeds.

Now I'm home and I still can't get a decent meal. I got back and we have no chicken, spinach, broccoli, or tomatoes in the house. Last night my dinner was about fifty sunflower seeds and a couple of stalks of celery. I'm addicted to the sunflower seeds and now I have a headache. It's a long story, but my DH went to Costco today and did not get any lettuce, spinach or broccoli. So tonight, I 'm still living off sunflower seeds and Girl Scout sugar-free chocolate covered toffee bits.

I know I need to go back to plan but it almost seems impossible right now. I'm sure a lot has to do with what I've been going through, but I was just so determined to not let my eating go haywire, no matter what is happening around or to me. I'm just not doing good right now. To top it all off, I've gained 4 pounds. I still fit my clothes the same but the scale is up and I am having issues dealing with that.

Sorry for the long post. I just needed to vent a little. I'm sure once I get some buttery veggies in my tummy I will feel so much better.

Have a wonderful night Angels.

Last edited by sylvia78; 04-29-2008 at 11:06 PM.
sylvia78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 11:59 PM   #15  
Fay

S/C/G: 240/see ticker/140

Height: 5/3

Quote:
In the late 1680s everybody was talking about infinity and there are lots of poems which explore flying into outer space and seeing all these suns with planets around them -- it great stuff. I haven't learned much about today's theories but I bet they are connected to the ones as far back as Lucretius, who was the first (in 1st century Greece) to reall formulate a theory of the plurality of worlds.
My God, that sounds FASCINATING! Can you point me to any of the poets in question?

Paula - Yay! Egypt! Where are you going? I do hope you get to Luxor - it's my favourite place. Although Cairo is fab, of course...do tell!

Sylvia, I'm so sorry you've been having such a crappy time! But I have huge mighty respect for the way that you're trying to keep control over your eating while in these trying circumstances (and I TOTALLY grok the whole addictiveness of sunflower seeds! They are yum!). Hope that today brings you more yummy, protein-and-fat-filled on-plan foods!
broadabroad is offline   Reply With Quote