South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 04-28-2008, 04:15 PM   #1  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

Default Idea for vegetarian "chicken" salad

Oh my word. I just had the yummiest salad and it would be so easy to turn into a chicken salad-type meal. I had made a Quorn "turkey" roast the other night with a rub of olive oil, basil, and parsley and there was a hunk left, so I threw it on my salad this afternoon, cold. It was SO good! It would be so easy to cube up and mix with some mayo or plain yogurt and some diced up cucumber (I can't STAND celery so that would give me good crunch) and tomatoes and then serve over a bed of lettuce. I can't wait to get back to the store to get another roast!

Kara
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 05:15 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 150/140/125

Height: 5'4''

That sounds delicious, Kara!! What does Quorn taste like? What is the texture? As I am a non-adventurous vegetarian, my meat-substitute repotoire is limited to veggie crumbles, veggie burgers, and plain tofu...I need to branch out.
mary83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 05:59 PM   #3  
Visualizing the Goal

Mary, I just recently discovered the Quorn line. They don't carry it at the commissary, so I've been adventuring out since we've been back Stateside. It's made of quinoa and they have several varieties - the turkey roast I posted about above, chicken nuggets, chicken tenders (for stirfrys), breaded chicken cutlets, grilled chicken, etc. I really like the Quorn brand because the products are denser than Morningstar Farms' soy nuggets and they're more versatile. They have a mild flavor, kind of like what I remember chicken tasting like (it was 18 years ago I had my last chicken, so that might be stretching it...), and they're easy to cook with. I really like this turkey roast because it can be used for so many different things, and the tenders are great for just sauteeing and using as a side dish or on top of rice or with any number of veggies in a stirfry concept.

Hope that helps!

Kara
Old 04-28-2008, 06:57 PM   #4  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Kara where did you find Quorn?
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 07:11 PM   #5  
Brendansmum

S/C/G: 214/195/135

Height: 5'7"

I'm not a vegetarian but consume no red meats, mostly chicken. This is a great alternative. I was looking at some of the morningstar products and would love to try them but it's all soy. I got some soy milk a while back and loved the taste of it then realized I was allergic to it. Mouth was all itchy and my lips started to swell. I have a thyroid condition as well so I know I'm supposed to limit soy. I can't wait to get my hands on some of these products. I just checked out their website and plan on checking my whole foods this week. Thanks for the info!
Brendansmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:09 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 150/140/125

Height: 5'4''

I will have to look for these products, too!! Thanks for the tip, and the helpful information, Kara.
mary83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 10:42 PM   #7  
Visualizing the Goal

I found them at Wegman's. I haven't really checked anywhere else for them, because that's the store I do my "big" shop at every week. Hope you all can find them too!

Kara