Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2002, 12:12 PM   #1  
Thin Within

Talking Steel Magnolias #168

GOOD MORNING STEEL MAGNOLIAS

Welcome all who go here......... we are a group that is all about encouragement. We have found different programs that work for us and are about the business of walking down this road to thin. Come along and join us if you wish.

COOKIE & GRAYBUBS thank you both! Graybubs come back and post regular if you would like. Welcome to the thread and good luck with your weigh in. Stop back by and let us know how you did. Looks like you are doing your program!

Everyone have a great day. If you come my way you can scrape me off the ceiling for I am still floating.

Last edited by Maggie; 06-11-2002 at 12:18 PM.
Old 06-11-2002, 11:31 PM   #2  

Talking

Good Evening!
We had good old fashioned thunderstorms roll through this morning . . . lots of loud booms, lightning, and rain. I had just logged on and decided I had better stay off until it passed.

This afternoon was my "Tea Party" and the gods sent the sun out. This is the third year and some of the ladies actually wore hats and gloves. The hostess gave us an hour tour of all of her flower gardens . . . lots of flowers that I had never heard of. She has such an imagination and the ability to put rusty old "junk" together to make eye catching creations. If I did that it would look like I'd put rusty old junk in a pile! She makes her own stepping stones and fence post people. Each garden has a theme and she will change some of them according to holidays. She served cheese cake and I couldn't resist. I did pass up all of the other sweet samples though.

WI was user friendly this afternoon although I should have gone to the bathroom first. I showed a 1.8# loss so I was happy. I will miss next week because we will be in MN; I hope I can keep my FOCUS for two weeks.

Lorraine -- Good luck staying OP! You can do it right along with the rest of us!

Jackie -- I think I have laundry gremlins lurking in this house! Just when I think I am caught up, I find more!

Maggie -- Again, CONGRATULATIONS on another great loss! Did you do anything differently this week than you usually do? Thanks for starting the new thread!

Graybubs -- WELCOME to the Steel Magnolias! Post often so that we may get to know you and you us. I live in Iowa with my DH and three fur people. I work with special ed. students at the high school level and am enjoying vacation right now.

It has been a long day so I am heading to bed! Have a wonderful Wed., Flowers! We have a funeral tomorrow morning . . . we didn't know the lady but she is the mother of our best man's wife. She lived in Florida but she is being buried back here in our small town. Our friends live in Illinois and we don't see them often; thought we would surprise them and at least let them know we are thinking of them.

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 06-11-2002 at 11:36 PM.
Old 06-12-2002, 02:37 PM   #3  

Thanks, Maggie. I lost 2.2 last night........the same 2.2 I gained last week! I'm an idiot! I've been playing with the same 5lbs. forever. It's like I'm comfortable now because I'm receiving compliments, even though I still have a long way to go. However, I am being careful with my journaling, and that seems to keep me honest.
Since there seem to be several animal people onboard, it might interest youall to know I'm driving to VA Saturday to pick up a rescued part Dachsie and part Bassett Hound who's being brought to Waynesboro from the WAshington,DC area. I'll bring him back here, and he'll then be transported to Beckley, WV where he has a new home. I went to a dog show a couple of months ago and wound up volunteering to transport dogs up for adoption, whether because of cruelty, or circumstances, who knows. Every breed has a rescue group, so if anyone is interested, go online and find your breed.......there's bound to be some info on that.
Old 06-12-2002, 02:42 PM   #4  

Hi Jean,
You lucky dog. I taught HS Sp. ED for one semester and they cut the position due to budget cuts, etc. You know the drill. Anyway, my time at the HS was the most fun I ever had teaching. As a matter of fact, my son and I volunteered to work Projection Graduation, and had a ball. It was such fun to see kids who were such jerks in Jr. High being really neat young adults! And having been out of the classroom for two years may have helped, as I wasn't wiped out from doing IEPs for weeks on end.
Old 06-12-2002, 10:41 PM   #5  

Hi Flowers,

Maggie...you deserve to be floating high for several days!!

Graybubs: Welcome to the flower patch! I loved you comments about the junior high jerks becaming "human" in high school. Having taught both in junior high and high school...I know what you mean. Junior high is such an awkward stage, but I have to admit...they kept me on my toes!!

Jean: Your Tea Party sounds like fun!! I love to see what other people can do with their gardens. Today...we replanted the wine barrel...once again!! This time we put in three different colors of Million Bells...fushia, purple and yellow. Hopefully, it will look like a big bouquet when they all grow together. They should also trail over the side which should look pretty too.

Well...off to find something slow-cal, low carb and tasty for dinner!!
Jackie
Old 06-12-2002, 11:32 PM   #6  

Angry

Good Evening!
It is has been an interesting day around here . . . didn't get anything done but a fun day at any rate. We ended up spending most of the day involved in the funeral activities. We had planned to just go to the church service, say "hello" to our friends, then go on to the rest of the day. It turned out that there were several people from DH's hometown so we also went to the cemetery and back to the little country church for lunch and visiting. A nice detour in our original plan.

This afternoon we shampooed the livingroom carpet. I will NEVER have light colored carpet again! Between the general traffic pattern and fur people, it always looks grubby.

Graybubs -- CONGRATULATIONS on the 2.2#s that are gone forever this time! Transporting the dogs must be a rewarding challenge . . . how many miles do you have to go? Do you keep the dog at your house? I'm not so sure about teaching junior high . . . I did some subbing there way back when. We have a Middle School here now, which includes 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th graders. We have a tough time getting the new freshmen used to the bells between classes, being to class on time, and handing in assignments on time. It takes a whole year for some of them to realize that they have to pass a required class or will take it over again. Next year the students will not be able to carry book bags to class so that will be a big adjustment for everyone. My degree is elementary and when I started subbing I really enjoyed the high school level. Graybubs is puzzling me . . . what does it stand for?

Jackie -- The flowers in a barrel sounds like a clever idea! Do you have a big yard to work with? Our flowers are all in pots because of the snakes. *shudder* But since we have had Momma Cat hanging around, we haven't seen any snakes.

Guess I will head for bed! See you all tomorrow . . . have a terrific Thursday!

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 06-12-2002 at 11:34 PM.
Old 06-12-2002, 11:50 PM   #7  

Hi All,

Jean: Congrats on the 1.8 loss!! That's almost 2 pounds... good "nuff"!! You're on the way now!

Our house sits on just an average lot...50 X 100...so the back yard is not too deep. We do have nice wide side yards though. The A/C sits in the more narrow of the two sides...and we just have a maple tree and some shrubs on that side. On the other side...the wider one...hubby built a huge planter box that he grows veggies in. Plus there is a cherry tree and that is also the side we keep the garbage can, yard waste can (this sucker is HUGE) a utility shed and a potting bench. The yard is just enough to keep us busy (ie...out of the fridge!!) but not overwhelming. While we were both working...neither of us had time. So when we retired and bought this house...we were real novices. It is amazing what we have learned about plants in just 3 years.

Happy Thursday to all!!
Jackie
Old 06-13-2002, 12:44 AM   #8  
Thin Within

Talking Humpday Evening

GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS

It started out real cool this morning but as the day progressed it got warmer and warmer but real nice. I am still OP in case any of you were wondering But I may surprise you someday... hope not though.

GRAYBUBS CONGRATULATIONS on that loss. You can keep it off if you keep your FOCUS. Great for you to help out with those dogs ~ that must be a challenge sometimes.

JEAN CONGRATULATIONS on your loss. Next time get to the lu before facing that Iron Monster. Girlfriend that tea sounded so good and you have been going to many social functions lately that you should be real happy and proud of yourself for showing that loss. Yes I did do something different this past week but not much. I had a very hungry week and kept switching my low point days for high point days until I ran out of high point ones to trade for. So my point average stayed the same but the days got changed around.

COOKIE your house sounds lovely inside and outside. Like a magazine picture. I can imagine how it looks. Will did a great landscaping job when we owned houses..... now we have things in pots.

My e-mail service was down this afternoon - Earthlink was experiencing some problems but I am glad to say it was short lived and it is back in order.

Have a great OP day tomorrow folks.
Old 06-13-2002, 10:42 AM   #9  

Good morning one and all,
sounds like everyone is having a good week.
Re: Jr. High. We're finally going to Middle School concept in the next year or so. I was told 20 years ago in a Middle School Curriculum graduate class that anywhere Jr. High Athletics were strong, they'd never buy into the MSConcept. Sure enough, I moved to rural WV, where we had 12 small elem/jr high community schools, and everyone in the community came out for the ball games! I couldn't believe it. We're the second largest county in the state, geographically, and our total population is less than 35,000. I live in the County Seat and we're about 6,500, so that explains alot. Since I've been here, the Jr Highs have been consolidated into two large schools which have to travel all over the state to find schools big enough to compete with them, so athletics isn't as important as it once was.
As for Graybubs. I'm almost embarrassed to tell you that at 63 I still go to the same girl's camp I did at age 9! Only now I get paid for it. When I was 12, I was given the name of Bubbles one day when I came up from underwater blowing bubbles to get my hair out of my eyes.........it was one of those silly things that stuck. I'm still Bubbles to camp friends who are now bringing their children and grandchildren to camp. I went back in 1977 after my husband died suddenly and I was left with a 10 year old son. I felt camp was important for him so he could be surrounded by men and away from me, so for many years I "worked his way through camp":~} There are about six or eight of us who were campers in the 50s and 60s who still come back to work, whether as a doc, nurse, Head of Camp(I did that for 4 years), or just to teach Arts and Crafts in our old age. We think we have more fun than the kids:~} We have classes after taps for the Arts and Crafts "challenged" staff members, and we pot, make baskets, drink beer, and giggle alot. The Gray is because I couldn't use just Bubbles as a Password, and since my hair is.........
As for my trip to Va., it's about three hours each way. This is the first trip I've made, so we'll see how it goes. I just figured it was a unique way to do some volunteer work in my old age.
Old 06-13-2002, 01:12 PM   #10  
Thin Within

Talking Almost Friday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

Just got back from giving blood (test) at the doc's office. Had to not eat anything from midnight on...not a problem for I am not a night eater. When I got home and needed breakfast all I really wanted was a piece of dry toast and a hot cup of chicken broth. And you know that was a very wonderful satisfying breakfast on this 19 point day. It is going to be another lovely day here in south California.

BUBBLES I like that..... I love bubbles and Cowboy bought me a neat silver fish that hangs on a long chain that has a round silver bubble with a tiny wand on the end of it in his mouth and his chubby little belly is filled with bubble blowing liquid. Yep most folks do know I love bubbles. So you consider the age of over 60 old do you? I thought it was old when I was in my twenties but now I have changed my thinking. Old is a state of mind I belive. I have seen some folks old at 12. Pitty that. I guess I am not in my second childhood for I have never left my first one. Life is good.

Have a great day today ladies...... it is the eve of Friday. Catch you on the rebound.
Old 06-13-2002, 01:18 PM   #11  

Hello all,

I am looking for a supportive group to join... are you welcoming newbies?

I am single, 44, living in NYC, and have 95 lbs to lose. I am just beginning the journey and would love to have folks to chat with.

Elaine
Old 06-13-2002, 01:45 PM   #12  
Thin Within

Talking

ELAINE you are certainly welcome here! You are now a Steel Magnolia. We are a group that has a varied amount to lose (me probably the most) and are always trying to be very supportave and encourage one another. We bring here our ups and downs during our walk through life. We are all headed in the same direction though, down the road to thin. Come post when you want we are all happy to have you join us. See you soon.
Old 06-13-2002, 02:13 PM   #13  

Hi Maggie,
Noone knows better than I that age is a state of mind. I just don't know many 63 year olds who still go to camp:~} I was getting my kayak ready to put in the water this morning, and my mountain bike is ready.................now my house..........I just hope the Health Dept stays away!
As for having the most to lose, I still have between 80-90 to go, so don't feel bad. Fortunately, now that we have the 10% plan, I never think of the total. Working with smaller increments really helps to keep us focused, I think. What about you?
Old 06-13-2002, 02:24 PM   #14  
Thin Within

BUBBLES I don't focus on the big number I have to lose and do smaller goals. Right now I am doing a goal to lose 10 pounds by the 19th of August. I had a goal to lose 10 by the 1st of July but reached it 3 weeks early so started this one last week. Monday will be my first weigh day for this new goal of 10 weeks. When I reach the 60 gone then I will only have that to do twice more. I have determined to have as much fun losing this weight as I did putting it on. So far I have been successful in doing that.
Old 06-14-2002, 01:17 AM   #15  

Good Evening . . . . well, I guess it is "Good Morning" now! I popped in earlier to read and then went to fix supper without posting. After numerous phone calls this evening, picking up the kitchen, etc., it got to be later than I thought!

Jackie -- Your yard sounds beautiful . . . I think I would enjoy having green all year around but yet I know I would miss the different seasons here since they are all so very different. Is your group doing any singing this summer?

Maggie -- I'm glad to see your email is back up and running. For some silly reason, I think you will be forever young at heart! You are working the program so well, I am proud of you!

Graybubs -- We start school early enough so that they can get at least one football game in before Labor Day. This year the staff goes back Aug. 15th and the students start the 21st. That is much too early since we do not have air conditioning in the classrooms. I'm not so sure that the middle school concept is all that it is cracked up to be. My kids were beyond that age when our's was built so I just base my opinion on what we see at the high school level. I love the story about your name! I think that you and Maggie both belong to the Young At Heart Club! Good luck on your doggy run . . . I think that is so neat. We have a shelter in a small town close by and they are always asking for people to volunteer to walk the dogs. The lady who runs it makes prospective owners fill out adoption papers and then she does a follow up visit to make sure the dog is happy in the home.

Elaine -- WELCOME to the Steel Magnolias! Post often so that we may get to know you and you us. I am Jean and live in Iowa with my husband and three fur people. During the school year I work with special ed. students at the high school level. Right now I am enjoying some vacation days and trying to get ready to leave on a short vacation to MN. We have two grown children: a son who is married and a daughter.

I am heading for bed! Have a fantastic Friday, Flowers!

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 06-14-2002 at 01:19 AM.
Closed Thread