South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 08:23 PM   #1  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

Arrow Have any beachers tried atkins but chose SBD?

Please tell me about your experiences with both diet plans. I am battling with self while accepting that a locarb lifestyle is my realistically only and best healthy WOE. I am doing the two weeks of serious carb reduction a la atkins- essentially same as SBD, but will want to choose which plan I will follow when I finish the two weeks.
THANKS!!

Last edited by kittycat40; 04-22-2008 at 08:25 PM.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:29 PM   #2  
pound by pound,day by day

S/C/G: 288/283/150

Height: 5'6

I use my own plan that a happy little mix of the two. I lose weight pretty quickly this way. I guess it's just whatever works for you and also whatever you can live with for a lifetime!
Old 04-22-2008, 09:33 PM   #3  
Beach Bum

Height: 5' 7"

SBD is NOT a low carb diet. It is a good carb diet. Whole grains, fruits and beans are all encouraged. Also, SBD is about good fats, lower fats than Atkins. It is why we did SBD back in 2003 when my DH wanted to do Atkins because his brother lost weight on Atkins. I didn't like the high fat and seemingly unhealthy choices of Atkins, including the lack of good carbs.
SBD is a way of eating for life. Some people do well with the true low carb diets, but that is not SBD. Many people think that SBD is the same as Atkins and assume SBD is low carb. Read the book, it gives a clear picture of the principles of SBD. Also researching glycemic index and glycemic load can give you a more detailed understanding of SBD principles.
Best wishes for finding what works for you!
Old 04-22-2008, 09:42 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 150/140/125

Height: 5'4''

I agree with SkinnyDogMom--SBD seems much healthier to me, and more of a lifestyle plan. If you have the SBD book, or access to it, Dr. A. specifically addresses the differences between SBD and Atkins--its very helpful!!
Old 04-22-2008, 11:36 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 190/155/135

Height: 5'3"

I too agree with skinny. Most people I know that have done Atkins, lose the weight and then gain it back and then some. And people I know who do SBd generally keep it off, or if they do gain back, its not much and then they try again. Either way, you do need to find what works for you.
SBD seems like the healthier life-long choice. Many people ask me why I'm on a diet. I'm 21 and I'm 160-not great, but not bad either. But, I know that in the long run, I'll eat better and have more self-control. The SBD is all about making the better choice (the difference between a white potatoe and a sweet potatoe)...
Find what you'd like to do and stick to it..
Old 04-23-2008, 02:25 AM   #6  
McLovin' *TBL Red Team*

I have done Atkins and Somersizing (Suzanne Somer's Diet - similar to Atkins) before starting SBD. At first, I didn't mind Atkins. I ate a lot and was satisfied. I only lasted about 5-6 months. It was hard to stick with because of the lack of carbs. I am just one of those people that need good carbs like fruit and whole grains. That is why I ultimately decided SBD was for me. I like that we can have fruit and whole grains and it is a healthier lifestyle, IMO. I really wanted Atkins to work though because I was losing weight fast but as my weight flew off...my cravings went sky high! I also had an issue going to the bathroom on Atkins. It was miserable. Everyone said my body would get adjusted to my new lifestyle, however, that never happened. I was taking stool softeners that whole time and I don't think that is healthy.

Overall, you will have to decide what will work in your life. Are you someone who likes meat and can pass on any kind of carb? Or do you like good carbs and lean meat? Only you know what you can accept. Good luck!
Old 04-23-2008, 05:57 AM   #7  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

I've never tried Atkins because honestly it scares me. All that fat!! My thoughts are that possibly you can lose weight, but what damage is being done to the heart/arteries?

I had a next door neighbor years ago that was on "sugar busters" which I think is similar to atkins. He lost over 100 lbs in what seemed like a short time. Then keeled over and died of a heart attack one night. I don't know if years of eating badly did it or the diet that was so high in fat or a combination of both, but I think it's just plain scary. His heart was probably not in great shape before he started, then he probably added to it with all the bacon etc he was consuming. So sad. Left a wife and 2 high school aged girls.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:17 AM   #8  
Beach Bum

Height: 5' 7"

Surprisingly, evidence based research shows that Atkins does not increase cholesterol, lipids etc. People on Atkins or like diets lower their numbers and even increase the HDL's (the good chol.). Scientists & Doctors were expecting just what logically we all think about the high fat, but they were proven wrong. The simple carbs/sugars actually are probably more to blame than fats-specifically animal fats/natural fats. (not trans-fats---they have shown to be dangerous on many levels.)
Old 04-23-2008, 12:11 PM   #9  
needs constant reminding

Thanks everyone. I am still undecided. Will continue to consider all options that exclude refined carbs...
Old 04-23-2008, 12:47 PM   #10  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

my understanding is that later stages of Atkins are similar to early stages of SBD but that the saturated fat levels are different.

Personally I cringe when folks call SBD low-carb. it's GOOD carb. It's GOOD FAT.

what it is is COMMON SENSE... eat lean meats/proteins limit fats, limit starches, eats lots of veggies, have some fruit. have some dairy, eat healthy, move your tushie, drink your water and be well.

i think that in order to make any plan work you have to look at it and modify it to fit your needs. so if you LOVE veggies then SBD may be the plan for you....

it made sense for me...
Old 04-23-2008, 12:59 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 267.2/ticker/140

Height: 5'5"

I've done both, and LOVE the Beach. Atkins is OK, but besides being more expensive, it's harder to stick with. Every once in a while you want that bowl of pasta, or that sandwich on ww. When on Atkins, you can have it, but not as much, or as often... so does it really teach you to control your carbs? I didn't think so.

Plus, you get sick of eating bacon as a snack - where are the veggies?
Old 04-23-2008, 01:17 PM   #12  
needs constant reminding

It's funny. When it "clicked" for me and I realized I was ready for change in diet and lifestyle I starting eating lower cal, lower fat b/c it allowed me to eat more. I fell in love with apples. I was eating two a day.
But then weight loss was so hard inspite of cals and exercise. So, given my medical history, I am coming to terms with forgoing refined products. I went with Atkins to try and see some results. To be honest, I'm not even seeing mind blowing results and I am lower cal and carb. PCOS ^#&$#&%#!!

Now that I have been counting carbs-- the apple is what I really crave the most! So, in time I will get to that apple.

Thanks for responding.

Last edited by kittycat40; 04-23-2008 at 01:22 PM.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:56 PM   #13  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyDogMom View Post
Surprisingly, evidence based research shows that Atkins does not increase cholesterol, lipids etc. People on Atkins or like diets lower their numbers and even increase the HDL's (the good chol.). Scientists & Doctors were expecting just what logically we all think about the high fat, but they were proven wrong. The simple carbs/sugars actually are probably more to blame than fats-specifically animal fats/natural fats. (not trans-fats---they have shown to be dangerous on many levels.)
I'm reading the book "Good Calories, Bad Calories" by Gary Taubes and that's exactly what the book states. Due to some poor research done back in the 60's and 70's, the notion that dietary fat causes cardiovascular disease has been perpetuated for decades. The book disputes that and states that it is bad carbs that create havoc with our bodies. It's kind of hard to read. Contains tons of research studies. But it's very interesting. Very supportive of SB lifestyle.
Closed Thread