South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 10:39 AM   #1  
PCOS will not control me!

S/C/G: 283/241/175

Height: 5'8"

Default Flaxseed Oil Question

I just started taking flaxseed oil pills. They are 1,000 mgs each to be taken 3 times a day. Would this be just as good as eating flaxseeds straight? Or is it better to just eat the real thing? It just seems more cost effective for me to take the pills as the only flaxseeds I can find are 10 dollars for a small package. What do you ladies think?

Last edited by JerseyGirrl; 04-22-2008 at 10:40 AM.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:13 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

I'm not really sure on the pills, but I don't think they'll hurt you.

Are you sure you're looking for the right thing at the grocery store? Flaxseed is readily available in every grocery store around here. Milled flaxseed is better for you than the whole seed, which doesn't completely break down in digestion. I usually buy Bob's Red Mill Milled Flaxseed, but I know I've seen several other brands around, too. Look in the health food aisle of your store, or ask the manager where to find it. If they don't carry it, ask them to start!
Old 04-22-2008, 11:28 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 250/168/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirrl View Post
I just started taking flaxseed oil pills. They are 1,000 mgs each to be taken 3 times a day. Would this be just as good as eating flaxseeds straight? Or is it better to just eat the real thing? It just seems more cost effective for me to take the pills as the only flaxseeds I can find are 10 dollars for a small package. What do you ladies think?
i am not a dietician or nutritionist, but i've heard that generally it takes about 6-15 flax softgels to equal the same amount of oil/nutritional value as 1 T of actual oil or seeds - and you do want milled because your body can absorb it better. also, unless you're taking a pill marked "with lignans" or "high lignan" you're missing out on the fiber aspect of flax supplementation.
you also need to be careful because too much EFA consumption can thin the blood - but how much is too much ... i don't know but i think it is a LOT...- you can't overdose on EFAs but you do need to be careful if you have a history of issues in the past.
you can often find bulk flaxseed at your local health food store, and grind it yourself, or there are many brands that sell supplementary (cold pressed, organic, milled what have you) flaxseed in small packages. $10 sounds high but how many servings was it at 1T a day? it all boils down to what is most cost effective and convienient for you.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:42 AM   #4  

Thank you for your input ladies!..I'm taking a run to Trader Joe's soon, I'll check there also.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:01 PM   #5  
Reformed Quitter

S/C/G: 302/267/155

Height: 5' 8"

I take 1 tablespoon every day (I get it down in V-8 or orange juice but you can put it on salad and in oatmeal, etc.) and I get it at Whole Foods. It's in a black bottle and I get the one with Lingens (Lingens to flaxseed oil is what pulp is to OJ). Don't do the pills - The benefits are zero compared to taking the oil in pure form. Get ready for super shiney hair and long finger nails. Oh, and the calories will keep you from getting hungry too!
Old 04-22-2008, 01:49 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Really? Hair and fingernails? My fingernails are so weak and brittle, they break all the time...
I've got a bag of flax seeds I bought, but they are not milled. They've been in my fridge, but I wasn't sure what to do with them. I guess I can grind them in the coffee mill.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:01 PM   #7  

After more research, turns out I should be taking flaxseed oil rather than straight flaxseed due to my PCOS. The flaxseed or flaxseed in powder form can have an effect on estrogen levels that aren't desirable for women with PCOS, but the flaxseed oil doesn't have the same effect. I'm going to check with my doctor ASAP also. Thanks ladies!
Old 04-22-2008, 06:58 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 248/?/150

Cold pressed flaxseed oil really is the best, if you can find it. Most health food stores and grocerers like Whole Foods carry it. Very good as a substitute for salad dressing...with a nutty flavor.
Closed Thread