Old 04-22-2008, 10:03 AM   #1  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Default Any vegetarians trying to transition to vegan?

I'm currently a vegetarian who would like to go completely vegan, but I have somehow not been able to make it over the hump. My DH is a firm omnivore so I can't look for support in that area and I'm going to have to live with meat, dairy, and eggs in my house (and I will even have to cook with them for him, as I do now). Mostly it is dairy that trips me up and my own laziness and ingrained habits. There really is no excuse for me since I firmly believe that there is as much if not more cruelty in dairy/egg production than there is in the meat industry. So I feel very bad about myself for having not been able to make the transition.

Are there any other veggies who are trying to go fully vegan who would like to support each other, trade tips and tricks, and offer encouragement? And maybe some of the more experienced vegans would help us along as well?

I really want to do this!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 10:12 AM   #2  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

I'm here for support! Been vegan for many years and went vegan overnight as a family way back when. If I can help in any way, let me know!

Incidentally, I agree about dairy and eggs being cruel...In fact, I firmly believe that dairy is even MORE cruel than flesh...It's "liquid flesh" in more ways than one!
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 10:29 AM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

About 6 months ago, I went from full omnivore to a vegan diet. I haven't been completely perfect the entire time (basically during my 2 vacations) but I found it fairly easy from the start. My husband also basically just followed me because I cooked for him. At first, he'd eat meat when he went out to eat with coworkers but its been a few months for him since he has done that. It is fairly easy to make vegan dishes that can be enjoyable for both you and your husband.

What do you have issues with giving up?
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 10:29 AM   #4  
Michelle the Vegan

Thank you SoulBliss, I'm so glad you are here to answer questions! If you don't mind sharing, what does a typical day's worth of meals look like for you and your family?
Old 04-22-2008, 10:36 AM   #5  
Michelle the Vegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
About 6 months ago, I went from full omnivore to a vegan diet. I haven't been completely perfect the entire time (basically during my 2 vacations) but I found it fairly easy from the start. My husband also basically just followed me because I cooked for him. At first, he'd eat meat when he went out to eat with coworkers but its been a few months for him since he has done that. It is fairly easy to make vegan dishes that can be enjoyable for both you and your husband.

What do you have issues with giving up?
That's great Nelie! I just went and looked into the fridge/cupboard and I think that really the only things I need to find good replacements for are:

- Yogurt and cottage cheese (I generally eat quite a bit of both of these -- any suggestions?)

- Regular cheese (don't eat much of this now anyway due to trying to cut back on calories, so maybe this won't be as big a problem as it was in the past, but I used to be a real cheese-aholic!)

- honey that has found its way into various bread items, granola bars, sauces, and dressings (shouldn't be hard to find replacements for these, right?)

- Milk (not a problem, I adore Almond Milk)

So maybe now is the PERFECT time to do this! I think it was really regular cheese that has been my nemesis all along and now I'm not even eating it because it is just so calorically dense!
Old 04-22-2008, 10:40 AM   #6  
Michelle the Vegan

Quote:
At first, he'd eat meat when he went out to eat with coworkers but its been a few months for him since he has done that. It is fairly easy to make vegan dishes that can be enjoyable for both you and your husband.
I've been meat free for a long time and my husband absolutely won't give up his meat. I wish he would. He grills ALOT. He will eat whatever vegetarian dishes I make on the side, but he will ALWAYS have meat with it and has said he just can't (and doesn't want to) give it up. Such a bummer. Mostly he does all the grilling, so he just asked me to make him meat sandwiches and meat sauces.

I wish he'd have been as easygoing about it as your husband!
Old 04-22-2008, 01:00 PM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

I can certainly understand that your husband may want meat and you wouldn't want to force your choice on him. I was thinking of things were meat can be omitted with similar flavors and not noticed (Caseroles, Chili and such).

You might want to invest in a couple good vegan cookbooks. Vegan with a Vengeance and Veganomicon are 2 of my favorites.

I also used to be a big cheesaholic but I found it was fairly easy to give up. I did eat cottage cheese and yogurt before giving up dairy but didn't have a problem giving up either. For a while, I started eating soy yogurt but I think I'm giving that up.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 01:10 PM   #8  
What am I waiting for?

S/C/G: 315/254/160

I went vegan on Jan. 2 this year prior to that I was vegetarian for 6 months. I found that I was relying way too much on dairy and as I researched veganism more I could no longer deny the cruelty involved.
I believe Tofutti makes sour cream and cream cheese I am not positive about yogurt though there is surely a good alternative just mix up with some nice berries!

What I did is spent some time on google.com looking up info and the real tool that assisted me more than any was a podcast by a vegan cookbook author. She has so much info to offer including a podcast specifically about transitioning to a vegan diet as well as living with meat eaters! You can download off Itunes or listen directly off the website. There is also a message board if you want to ask anyone on it questions. I cannot say enough good things about it.

http://feeds.feedburner.com/VegetarianFoodForThought

podcast link
jasmine987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 01:41 PM   #9  
Michelle the Vegan

Thanks Jasmine and Nelie!
Old 04-22-2008, 01:44 PM   #10  
Vegetarian Cal Counting

S/C/G: 269/Ticker/145

Height: 5'8"

I'm working on going vegan too! I was for a short time when I lived in San Diego on a work rotation. It seemed so much easier out there, probably because I had a lot more restaurant options and I didn't have family dinners to go to where everyone makes comments about you not eating meat. But I've decided I'm not listening to those people any more and I'm doing this for me, my health, and to benefit the animals and the earth.
I am in the middle of reading Food Revolution by John Robbins. I recommend it to everyone! I have read a lot about being vegetarian and vegan but this book for some reason really sticks with me and makes so much sense.
Today is the first day of my new lifestyle. I just have one question for all you out there...what is your opinion on honey? That's one thing a lot of people disagree on. I use honey in my green tea in the morning, I need to sweeten it or I won't drink it. I don't want to use artificial sweetners any more so should I still use honey or try something else? I've heard agave nectar is good, stevia doesn't sweeten it enough for me.
Thanks!
Switzie6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 01:47 PM   #11  
Vegetarian Cal Counting

S/C/G: 269/Ticker/145

Height: 5'8"

Oh yeah, I just bought a cookbook called Vegan Bites. It is recipes of dishes for only one or two people. I haven't make anything from it yet but I thought it was a great idea because I am either cooking for myself or just me and my boyfriend. Leftovers tend to sit in the fridge or freezer to long so making one or two servings is great for me. I'll let everyone know how the recipes go.
Switzie6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 01:57 PM   #12  
Michelle the Vegan

Hi Switzie! I'm glad to find other going through this journey!

About honey: It's not vegan as it is an animal product. And man, they put honey in a lotta stuff, too, but it isn't that hard to avoid. I also researched the process of creating honey and it is very cruel to the bees. So hopefully you can find another alternative to sweetening your tea?

Last edited by Mrs Snark; 04-22-2008 at 02:10 PM.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:59 PM   #13  
Michelle the Vegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switzie6 View Post
Oh yeah, I just bought a cookbook called Vegan Bites. It is recipes of dishes for only one or two people. I haven't make anything from it yet but I thought it was a great idea because I am either cooking for myself or just me and my boyfriend. Leftovers tend to sit in the fridge or freezer to long so making one or two servings is great for me. I'll let everyone know how the recipes go.
I'd love to hear what you think of the recipes and maybe you can share your favorites!
Old 04-22-2008, 03:25 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 147/144/120

Height: 5'4

I went from full omnivore to vegan last September. I also live with an omnivore so I'm familiar with those challenges.

My tips:
1. I avoided all "substitute" products for the first few months for two reasons. First, none of them really taste the same. I appreciate soy cheese (and other products) now for their own virtues, but I think they just would have frustrated me in the beginning. Also, a lot of those products are pretty junky and I wanted to make sure that my vegan diet was based on nutrient-dense foods, not just Tings and soy ice cream.
2. I tried lots and lots of new things. There are some amazing vegan cookbooks out there and they can give you fantastic ideas on what to eat.
3. Keep yourself in touch, every day if necessary, with why you're doing this. From September to now, I haven't had any cravings for animal foods that were not easily overcome. I know what it costs the animals and it's just not worth it for me.

I'd like to help in any way that I can! I'm so happy that I went vegan and I haven't looked back for a minute. It feels SO GOOD to know that my dietary choices aren't contributing to animal mistreatment and death. I had a nagging voice in the back of my head for years and I feel like I have energy to spare for so many other things now.
betsysunqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 03:36 PM   #15  
Michelle the Vegan

Yay Betsysunqueen! Full omni to vegan is great, congratulations! Thank you for the tips! As you suggested, I need to go get some cookbooks and make some tasty casseroles so I can cook once then have stuff throughout the week. I'm not that great in the kitchen and I usually buy alot of frozen meals (Amy's Vegetarian and Tandoor Chef vegetarian selections). But I realize I could save money (and sodium) if I learned to cook some good dishes!