South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 08:35 AM   #1  

Default Help!!!!!!!!!

I started sb in September of last year. During the holidays I really got off track and have had a hard time getting back on track. My problem is I plan on doing phase 1 and it seems like every week I have something to do that involves food. I just can't get started again and I keep on eating and gaining weight. I guess my question is when you have alot of functions to go to that involves food, when is a good time to start phase 1? For example this week I am leaving Thursday for Paducah, KY. It will be eating out all day. Next Tuesday I am going out to eat at a BBQ place with the girls. The following week I have a day long quilting retreat in which we have snacks and food all day. When would I be able to start? Please help, any suggestions would be appreciated. I am really not whinning, I just need help planning when and how to get the phase 1 in my schedule.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:38 AM   #2  
HAPPY HEALTHY ME

S/C/G: 215.4/-/165

Height: 5'2"

You have to start today. If you keep puting it off you will never start as it seems you have alot that goes on. Mybe you could extend phase 1 a day for your off plan eating days. but do try and make as close to phase 1 decisions as possible.

You'll start when you are ready and only when you are ready - good luck!
Old 04-22-2008, 08:42 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Hi bk, events and food functions do make things more difficult, so I would try to plan it for when I've got the least of those possible. But even if you have things going on, you can start Ph1, it just takes extra preparation and planning. I've gone out to dinner, and had business trips when I was Ph1. At a restaurant you can have grilled meat or fish and veggies, or the infamous chicken Caesar salad. If you are traveling, pack hardboiled eggs, nuts, cheese sticks, yogurts, raw veggies and hummus, single serving tuna packs...
Old 04-22-2008, 08:45 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 248/?/150

It's all about planning and not worrying! I would take some heathy snacks along do the best you can at mealtime. I can relate as I have a busy social schedule myself but it's do-able. I meet 2X monthly for a Bible study and these ladies think they have to put out a HUGE spread (it's a morning study). I take a pass on the items generally unless there is some cheese of nuts or fruit included then I'll take a small portion. This plan isn't a diet...it's a way of life and we just have to "re-educate" ourselves. Best wishes on your progress!! Keep us updated on how you do!
Old 04-22-2008, 08:52 AM   #5  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Planning is the only way to go. You can't put life on hold while you do this plan. Remember it is a Lifestyle Change. Eating out is a challenge but can be done. As to the quilting day, bring your own snacks. You'll be amazed at how little attention people pay to what you eat.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:58 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

You just have to make up your mind to Do It. There always seems to be something going on around here, always with tons of food involved, and I was using that as an excuse not to be 100%. Well, reality set in when my waistbands became uncomfortable. It finally sunk in to me that ME and ONLY ME was responsible for what I put into my mouth and the only way to lose weight was to do something about it. It's hard, I love food, but I love being thin and healthy better. You have to start someplace, may as well be now.

Good Luck!
Old 04-22-2008, 09:21 AM   #7  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

life happens. you have to just say NO.... i've learned to say things like:

i'm allergic to wheat
sugar makes me sick
i can't eat that sorry... works like a charm. no one questions me taking care of my health...

eating out: GRILLED chicken salad with ranch dressing or ceasar salad with grilled chicken salmon or shrimp... hold the croutons.. no big deal.

I'm working on stringing clean days together now and 2 weeks ago was a nephews birthday party.. pot luck... no idea what would be available so i packed a cooler with my own food. the night before dinner at friends... i brought my own food...

basically, sadly, my take on this is that you're truly not ready to make the commitment to the changes that are involved.... and THAT'S OK.

i don't think people should undertake permanent lifestyle changes until they are truly ready.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:35 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 150/140/125

Height: 5'4''

I have to agree with everyone else: it all comes down to one word--planning. Before I go to a restaurant, I look up their menu online (all chains and most locally owned restaurants here have their menus online), and I decide exactly what I will order, including what modifications I will request. As far as going to people houses or places where there will be snacky foods, I plan as far as the foods I know will be there, and I spend days psyching myself up to stay on program. Even if I know that I am going to eat something off program, I plan that little cheat, and resolve that that will be my only cheat.

So, plan, plan, plan, and you will do just fine!! You've got to believe that you are capable of succeeding at this, and I know you can!!
Old 04-22-2008, 10:46 AM   #9  
Beach Bum

Height: 5' 7"

Ditto all the above and if phase 1 isn't something you can do, then how about a "clean" phase 2? That is still better than just eating junk.
I also sometimes do what I call phase 1 1/2. For me this means all phase 1 foods, plus phase 2 fruits and veggies, but not adding any pasta, rice or grains in.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:24 AM   #10  
Heather-Nic

S/C/G: 293.5/248/220

Height: 5'7"

Here - here to all the comments above. You have to be ready to work it, no matter the cirrcumstances. And even if it's not perfect, it's still better than what you're doing now. My dh LOVES to go out to eat, especially on the weekends, but I can alway find a salad that works for me. Salads have become my friend, but I also like a clean piece of meat (grilled chicken, fish, shrimp cocktail) and some veggies. You have to make it work for you. And starting off like this now will get you on the right step for any situation you encounter.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:57 AM   #11  

Thank you for all your comments. I do need to plan, that is where I don't do a very good job. I know it is a lifestyle change, and I am ready to make the change. I guess my concern was the 2 week period of phase 1. If you go off a little does it really matter? I do realize it would be better than what I am doing now. Thanks for your help.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:13 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

You can do it bk! Don't plan to go off, plan to be on plan! But if it does happen, then I'd assess the damage, see how it affects your cravings, and go from there... You know we are pulling for you and will help any way that we can.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:16 PM   #13  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkstitch View Post
Thank you for all your comments. I do need to plan, that is where I don't do a very good job. I know it is a lifestyle change, and I am ready to make the change. I guess my concern was the 2 week period of phase 1. If you go off a little does it really matter? I do realize it would be better than what I am doing now. Thanks for your help.

i am a huge believer of a clean perfect (food type wise if not amounts) phase 1....
Old 04-22-2008, 03:16 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 248/?/150

As I said before it's a do-able thing to be on SB. You can be on Phase 1 and still "have a life". Again it's all in the planning! You can't do this with a half-hearted attitude as that's what will get you in trouble. Eating with others doesn't have to be "caving into peer pressure". I keep reminding myself WHY I'm doing SB in the first place. For me it's for good health. SB for me, is getting my "numbers" (insulin and cholestrol) evened out and the weight loss is just a by-product. I'm echo-ing the words here from a moderator on the free South Beach website for support!!
Old 04-22-2008, 05:24 PM   #15  

I'm the same - I've been on p2, but feel like I've slipped back to my old ways 9especially where bread's involved) Although I don;t touch potatoes, no longer a big fan.

Every time I tell myself I'll pop back onto P1 for a week to get back on track something happens like going to His Mother's, a trip away or something else, and I have something I wouldn't really eat (I won;t say naughty, banned or not allowed - it's MY choice to eat pitta with my hummus, so I have to take responsibility). My wedding's only 2 and a bit months away and I have to get my dress ordered now, and I didn;t want to be ordering it in a size bigger than I'd like!
Closed Thread