Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2002, 09:40 AM   #1  
Michigan Old-Timer

Default 300+ And Ready To Try Again....#177

WELCOME

We are a group of people who are working together to lose our excess weight.
We are on different plans and are of different sizes.
We want to invite everyone to join us in our journey.
We share laughter and tears.
We share what works for us and what doesn't.
We recently started a Topic of the Day.

Monday........Motivation Monday
Tuesday.......Tuesday Tips
Wednesday.....Wednesday Weigh ins
Thursday......Thankful Thursday
Friday........Friday Facials, Fingernails and Fun
Saturday.......Sit-up Saturdays - any physical activity
Sunday.........Soup and Salad Sunday - recipes

These are not required topics ...just ideas to share. We have found them very helpful. We also share heartaches and fears...joys and celebrations.

Please feel free to jump right in with us.
And be sure to check if there is a second page. We don't want anyone to miss any posts.

WELCOME!!!!
Old 06-11-2002, 09:41 AM   #2  
Michigan Old-Timer

Hi you guys! Did you miss me??? I've missed you guys. Actually, I have come in every day to read a bit, just didn't have real time to post.....so here I am, taking a moment to myself this morning.

WI (not Wisconsin) yesterday was NOT pretty. I had not been since the Monday before Memorial Day and I was up 3#'s. Time (once again) to make some changes in this girl's life! If the truth be told, I was surprised that it was ONLY 3#'s!

As usual, I have been working like crazy. I'm in the middle of a car dealership project for one of my companies. It's pretty easy, but still time consuming. I'm also doing grocery stores for another company and then of course all of the miscellaneous stuff for everyone else AND trying to get to the nursing home to visit my little charge there. So all in all, I've been running all over the planet doing jobs.

Let me see if I can get it together enough to reply to everyone.

Katrina: NO, I am NOT still in the shower!!!! Your camping trip sounds wonderful. I haven't been camping in eons, like since before I got married. DH is not outdoorsy at all!

Mary: That sounds like quite a collection of stuff you inherited from the geneology woman. Lots of interesting stuff, I bet. Did you hear about the civil war submarine that was found off the coast of Charleston, WVa? My DH was telling me about it. Said that the captain and crew remains were in the best condition of any from that era. Also said they are raising it and putting it in one of those chambers to try and extract the salt out of it so that they can preserve it. Pretty interesting. * 46 pounds in a year is quite an accomplishment!!! I hear you on the slump though. It's time to refocus. The eating on the go will do us in every time.

LuckyLadyBug: All that raking has got to be burning some real calories. Good for you for your ambition. * I'm sure your going to have alot of fun when your sisters arrive. It is alot of work preparing for company.

Baylee: That method for your baked potatoes sounds really good. Actually, so does the chicken recipe you passed on. Thanks alot.

Susie: See, it wasn't all that bad. WI, I mean. We just have to get our heads back in the right place. Don't hide. It doesn't do any good. * Sounds like you're really getting it back together. Maybe the SIL will be good motivation for you.

Tina: Great job staying OP! I'm sooooo proud of you!!! * I'm going to be brain-dead here for a moment, but what kind of chicken seasoning do you use in your chicken salad? Are you talking about poultry seasoning? Can you tell I'm not a cook??? * Your boss sounds like a real WITCH!! But is it you that said she's your former SIL??? Good for you getting your resume together. Go get 'em, girl! You don't need to put up with that crap from anyone!!!

Michelle: How did that exam go? How long do you have to wait for results?

Malia: No, I didn't get to see Bad Company yet. I really like both Anthony Hopkins and Chris Rock but I can't imagine them both in the same movie. I have to work The Bourne Identity this weekend. The preview for it looks good, so we'll see. I haven't see the trailer for Reign of Fire, just the poster. You're right, my guys will like that!

Well, girls, I think I've caught up. I really do have to leave you though so I can get the paperwork from yesterday's jobs done so I can go out and do some more today. I'll be gone all day Friday. It's time to go get my youngest from school and while I'm up that way, I'm taking my mom to see her brother in a nursing home about a half hour from where DS is. We'll make it an all day affair. I do hope to get back here before then, after all it is only Tuesday.

Oh crud, I forgot, I do have a Tuesday Tip. One of my magazines had some great tips in it so I wanted to share. However, I am too lazy to run back upstairs right this minute so I'll be back later to post that.
Old 06-11-2002, 09:51 AM   #3  
a work in progress...

Default Tuesday tips...

While surfing the other boards, I came across a few things that bear repeating...

"Every passing minute is another minute that you can turn things around"
"Fail fast and move on"
"Progress not perfection"
"If you go 3 steps forward and 2 steps back you are still going forward"

Starting to doze here...I'll be back later!
Old 06-11-2002, 11:41 AM   #4  
Progress..not perfection

Talking Hey girls........

Hey everyone! I'm off from work today because I had to work on Saturday, so I thought I'd stop in for a minute. It's actually kinda peaceful being off a day during the week. Sure the kids are here, so that automatically takes one degree of peace away, but when your off on the weekends, there's always a hustle and bustle going on and somebody wants to go somewhere or do something. It's just nice and quiet today. I don't have time for individual replys right now, but to answer your question Thin, no, my boss is not my SIL. She's just your regular ol' mean boss. I don't even have enough space to type all the times she's yelled at me for one thing or another. Many of the times I've been yelled at, have not even been my fault. She is a very unhappy woman in her personal life and I feel it's something she doesn't have a lot of control over, and so at work.............that is where she has control, so she rules with an iron fist. There is only one other person above her, which is the owner and he is happy with her, because he has a bulldog to watch over his investments. (He rarely even stops by....he is too busy playing golf)

So far, this is what I have done job wise: Yesterday, after I got off work, I went and put in an application at our local hospital. According to their job vacancy line, they had two positions I am interested in: Both are in the business office........Customer Service Rep. and Insurance Rep. I have experience in both of those. I have an appt. at a dreaded "temp agency" (temp to perm) at 1:30 today. The woman at the temp agency told me yesterday that they may have an opening coming soon in a doctors office......so that could be pretty good, as well. Then I'm supossed to go by the office at my husband's job after that, because they have some customer service/clerical openings there. Pretty busy, day ahead of me, huh?

I'm starting to get really nervous about it though. It's been awhile since I've been out in the old job market, and now is a horrible time to be looking, but it could be worse. At least, although it's not much........I do have a job. I could be without one. The sad part about it is, I love my job. I have never once had a complaint about the "job", but I just can't deal with the rest of it. Anyways.........that's going to get me started all over again and I just don't have time.

This is so funny.........I just intended to stop in for a minute to share a couple of sentences and now I've wrote half a book! So, I guess I will go for now, but I'll be back later to let you know how the appt at the "temp agency" went and the appt at my dh's work. I am also trying to work up the nerve to go to WI tonight, but that is a whole other issue to stress me out.

So for now I will go. Thank you so much for listening and for cheering me on. You have no idea how much I appreciate all of you. You are my home away from home. I love you guys.

Tina

P.S. I just figured out why it is so quiet around here today.....DH is not here!!

Last edited by QueenB; 06-11-2002 at 11:45 AM.
Old 06-11-2002, 12:04 PM   #5  
Michigan Old-Timer

Hi guys! I just stopped in for another minute before I get off this time-sucking machine! I forgot to mention that Oprah has Dr. Phil on weightloss again today. I have no idea if it's a repeat or not, but it might be worth setting the VCR for.

Tina: I'm sorry, ya know it was Yellowpagemaker who had an ex-SIL for a boss, I think. (My mind: what a terrible thing to waste!!!) Good for you going for the gusto. Keep your chin up and start feeding your head positive thoughts instead of "now is a horrible time to be looking" try: 'I'm a talented person and a job will be easy to come by because I have terrific skills and a wonderful personality.' The power of positive thinking is amazing and it sounds like you have some good solid leads. You watch, in a couple of days everyone will want you and you won't know which job to pick!!!

Katrina: You are so RIGHT!!! Those are things that need to be repeated: over and over and over.....until they sink in!

Gotta run. I still haven't gotten a dang thing done. Now I need to get out of here and do a couple of grocery store jobs. You all behave! Love to all!
Old 06-11-2002, 04:46 PM   #6  

Hey everyone! Hope you all are doing well. I have not gone back and read any of the threads I missed, so i can't play "catch-up."

I was going to post a seperate thread for this, because I guess I'm just basically thinking out loud, and it's bound to be a long winded post. I figured though, this thread is kind of "home away from home" for me, and that you guys might be offended if I posted elsewhere and didn't come here to share with you guys.

So here's the deal. I am at the breaking point. I had managed to hand around the 185 pound mark for quite some time, but now I am gaining again. BIG TIME. I am back up to 203. I swore I would never ever go back over 200 again. I bought myself an entire beautiful new wardrobe that fit me when I was 185. I only fit them for about 2 weeks before the gaining started. Nothing seems to motivate me anymore, and I'm terrified of going all the way back up to where I was and then some. I've always been kind of the "all or nothing" sort of person, and with food it is the same. I eat everything, or I eat nothing. I've been eating everything, and so now I feel the alternative is to eat nothing for a while. Don't flip out on me yet. Let me explain. What I have worked out is a 9 week plan to start with. I'm going to have nothing but slimfast and water for the first few weeks, then I will gradually increase calories by adding back solid food, but at the same time will increase physical exercise. I'm hoping that I will end up at a point where I can manage my eating better and maintain the loss. I get lectured a lot on the starvation diet thing and how it's so bad for you and all of that, but that is just exactly what you do when you have gastric bypass surgery. Why is it OK and healthy to have the surgery and starve, but not to do it without the surgery??? I'm just skipping the part where I go under the knife. I've been studying the recovery diet of a bypass post-op patient, and that's basically what I'm going to do. I'm desperate, obviously, but what do I have to lose except weight?

Nobody need reply. As I said, I'm mostly just thinking out loud. I may pop in again later.

Jehari
Old 06-11-2002, 07:23 PM   #7  
HRH Arabella, Woods Nymph

S/C/G: 256/ticker/165

Height: 5'8

Default My $0.02 worth...

Lurker post

Sorry -- i just had to butt in here --

Jen, it's great to see you again. I feel compelled to say though, that nobody thinks that a gastric bypass and the way people have to eat afterwards is healthy, exactly. It's a desperate measure for people whose health is severely compromised by their weight and who are not (whether physically, mentally, or spiritually) capable of losing the weight by any other means. It is healthier than being -- and remaining -- morbidly obese, which is called that for a reason.

Yeesh. Now I feel like I should just quietly delete that and slip away without saying anything. I hope no one is offended by what I said -- I just hope that you will look after your health. You also need to keep in mind that extremely low calorie diets usually end up causing weight gain. It's quite possible that at least part of the reason you've gained is that you had been restricting your calories too severely to lose the weight that you took off before. People who have a gastric bypass are able to keep weight off because they become extremely uncomfortable if they eat more than a small amount (nevertheless, quite a few manage to stretch their stomachs until they can eat more and end up gaining again).

I hope you'll make some healthy choices. Take care of yourself!

xo
babette
Old 06-11-2002, 09:53 PM   #8  
a work in progress...

Hey Jen...

Welcome back! You have come to the right place to vent, but I have to warn you...you will get a few lectures...and only because we care about you (and missed you!) I just don't want you to set yourself up for disappointment with a starvation plan like that, Your body will respond by slowing down your metabolism to ward off starvation. Please be careful. Lecture over.

Hi babette! It was nice of you to pop in. You are always welcome here! How is the challenge going? Aren't I something...start it up and then poop out. Oh well, I tried to lurk along for a while, but I just don't have the time to follow more than one thread...or walk and chew gum, for that matter!

Gotta sneak a nap in before work...if dh sees me in here tapping away at the keys, he's gonna bug out...WHY AREN'T YOU SLEEPING? So thoughtful, that one. (He really is!)

See you all in the AM...
Old 06-12-2002, 12:59 AM   #9  

Hi everyone,

Good to hear from you, Jen. Take one day at a time. With turmoil going around me, it's the one thing I can control. I'm currently reading Weigh Down. It's a Christian way of losing weight. It's pretty much eat when you're truly hungry and stop when you feel full. I'm trying to get in touch with my inner hunger and feed my soul with other thoughts.

Today was a holiday for me. And it was relaxing. I took packed lunch to the beach. It was very cloudy and I sat under a tree reading. Looking up at the ocean and sky. It was truly relaxing. After I stopped at the aquarium and sat in the 360 degree plexiglass tunnel watching the stingrays float above me and sharks swim by. It was very relaxing and engaging.

I have a picture of my secret garden. Hope its small enough for this website.

Enjoy,
Malia

Gee the picture is 1/8 of the original.

Last edited by prism; 06-12-2002 at 01:02 AM.
Old 06-12-2002, 08:21 AM   #10  
a work in progress...

Great article, Baylee...thanks for posting it!

I'll be back...
Old 06-12-2002, 10:31 PM   #11  
a work in progress...

Wow! No one has been here since I posted this morning? Where are you guys?

I came across a book at work last night..."Fit for LIfe" by Harvey and Marilyn Diamond...very interesting read...it's premise is that the proper combining of foods will better enable us to lose weight, feel more energetic, be healthier...I think Suzanne Somer's plan is based on this, it sounded familiar.

I'm always game for something new...gonna give this a whirl. I stocked up on fruits and veggies today, so I'm set. I must say, it's a little bit haphazard working nights and trying to get some sort of meal schedule straight...but I had a Fuji apple this morning (SO GOOD!) and some strawberries. Then I slept a good portion of the afternoon, made hamburgers for dinner, and had mine plain, no bread, and a handful of carrots later. (This is not how they tell you to eat, but how I've had time to eat, today!) The point is, I'm not hungry! strange...

The book tells of how, when you mix proteins and carbs at a meal, the bodies attempts at digestion are thwarted because there are different enzymes used to process the two groups. Fruit is the easiest to process, so it must be eaten alone (not after a meal) and preferably only fruit in the morning, for best use of energy. There's a whole lot more...I'll tell you about the putrefication and fermentation that goes on in the bowels, if you're really interested...oh! look at the time...gotta get ready for work now!!

I hope to see a few more posts in the morning...

Good night!
Old 06-12-2002, 11:38 PM   #12  
Dancing those pounds away

Hi everyone. Kat... thanks for posting tonight.... it is important that someone posts often to keep us connected. It also gives newcomers hope too.

I got to Missouri and had to admit my mom into the hospital.
My sister got out of the hospital while I was there... but I stayed to hopefully help her out. But... she didn't take much advantage of it. I am home today but headed out at 8am to go visit my daughter at her new apartment. She is sooo anxious to show it off.

My food sucked in Missouri... better since home... but not good yet. If I am honest... I don't intend to be "good" until I get back from my daughters. We love to go out to eat and get popcorn at the movies. I KNOW , I know.... you can do both of those and NOT abuse food.... and hopefully I will.

I hope more get in here and keep this site going and growing.
Please remember how important it was for you when you were a newcomer finding new posts. One of the best ways to help yourself is to help others.

Oh oh... the big bad storm has reached my house. I better turn this computer off. Hopefully I can write some while at my daughters.
Old 06-13-2002, 12:53 AM   #13  
Progress..not perfection

Talking It's me....& I'm back with good news!

First of all, let me say............2cute: It was absolutely wonderful to see your name on the thread. I've missed you. Take care and come back to us soon. We are thinking of you.

Ok, I'm trying to think of all I need to say without writing a book. Ok, Tuesday I had an appt at Raanstad. (for those of you that are unfamiliar with Raanstad, it is an employee placement company) Oh heck......let's call it what it is......a temp agency. Anyways, I went in for my appt. and went through all this testing. Data entry.........typing.......10-key pad........medical receptionist..........medical spelling......general office....etc. Anyways, got done with all that, and had the interview. Left at 4:06pm. The reason I remember the time is because I looked at the clock to see if it would be too late to go see the woman I was supossed to see at dh's work. She didn't leave till 5:00, so I headed on over there, filled out the application, gave her my resume' and talked to her for a little while. On my way home, my cell phone rings. It is 5:04pm.......
just a smidge under an hour from my leaving Raanstad. It is the recruiter and she has a job for me. It is at a place called Recevia. It is a local company that processes billing for hospitals and doctors and she told me I would basically be contacting insurance companies to set up payment arrangements. It paid $1.25 more an hour and is 8-5 M-F. Now, the money sounded good and so did the hours, but I was kinda afraid it sounded more like collections, but at this point, anything would be better than what I've been dealing with. But......here's the catch: I have to start Thursday. Yes, that would be tomorrow. That means my boss basically gets a one day notice.

Now, don't get me wrong. As hateful as this woman has been to me, my family and friends would love nothing more that to see me walk out and leave this woman hanging.......but I just can't. I don't know why. It's just me. I tried to see if I could give at least a weeks notice, and start on Monday, but the recruiter said that the trainer at Recevia would be gone on Monday and I "had" to start on Thursday. So I made the decison to take the job and all I had to do was call my boss. I won't give you all the details, but the call was very strange. I basically told her that I was going to have to quit, that I had been offered a job with better pay and better hours and that I had to start on Thursday, so today (Wednesday) would be my last day. Everything I told her, she basically said, "Uh huh" in this very wierd tone........I don't know, kinda like she was in shock or something. So I went to work today.

Basically, she didn't speak to me all day and then about 1:30, she comes over and hands me a separation notice. It does state that I have voluntarily quit and doesn't have anything bad on it. To be honest, I have no idea why she even gave it to me. I think, just to be hateful. So at 1:50, she says, "Tina, you can go." Well, I'm not supossed to get off till 3:00, so I say, "You don't need me the rest of the day?" She says, "No." Now, your probably asking.........."Hey, why didn't you just get on out of there and go?" Well, this was just another part of her being nasty, because she NEVER lets anyone go early. If she lets one of the operators go home, then she has to pick up the slack and heaven forbid that she have to do any work!

So, I say goodbye to my co-worker who I truly like and as I'm heading out the door, my boss says, "I just have one thing to say to you. Beware of companies that will not let you work out a notice with other companies." This was just her way of getting in one last "dig" before I walked out the door. And there were so many things I could have said to her and this was my chance to finally let her have it. But you know what? I didn't even care. She is such a miserable person that, that is her own punishment. I just looked at her, and said, "Take care of yourself, Donna" and walked out the door. It felt so good.

So, I get home, I'm sitting on the couch and the phone rings. I look at the caller i.d. and it says "Memorial". This is the hospital that I put my application in with on Monday.......so right away, my hands start sweating, but I go ahead and answer. It is the Business Office Dept. Head calling to set up an interview with me for the customer service position. She wants to know if I can come in for an interview tomorrow. Ok, so now I have another dilemna. I start my new job tomorrow.........I can't take off time on my first day to go to an interview that may or may not lead to a job........right? To be honest, I didn't even expect them to call me! So, I bite the bullet and tell her that I can come for the interview tomorrow, but it will have to be before 8:00 or after 5:00 and I ask if that will be an inconvenience. She puts me on hold and comes back and says, "Can you come today?" Of course, I say, "Yes!" Let me tell you girls.......you have never seen such a willie nillie running around this house trying to throw herself together so that I will look halfway presentable.

Ok........I'm gonna keep this short because I think I just got typers cramp....(if there is such a thing) Basically, I go in and have my interview. It goes amazingly well. Probably the best interview I've ever had...............and she hires me. ON THE SPOT! I go for my drug test in the morning. The pay is great. The hours are great. The place is great. The job is great. EVERYTHING IS GREAT! I am so excited. This is the best job I have ever had and I can't wait to get started. There is really a whole lot more details that I would like to tell you, but I just can't type anymore. Most of you probably saw this post and just skipped right over it because it was so long.............which if that is the case, you wouldn't have just read that last line, so it wouldn't matter anyways. I think I'm starting to ramble.

So, in short..................I finally quit my job. I am now a customer service rep at the hospital and I am so grateful for the opportunity and I thank all my friends here for their loving support. You guys are the best.

I will tell you though..............I did go out to celebrate tonight and probably ate about 62 points for dinner! But that is just one day and I will be back on track tomorrow........hehe.

Have a good night my friends and I will talk to you soon.

Tina
Old 06-13-2002, 01:25 AM   #14  
Dancing those pounds away

CONGRATULATIONS TINA !!!!!!

I am sooooo happy for you !!!!!

Good things come to those who wait...
but Great things come to those who go after it.

I am sooooo very very proud of you too.
Old 06-13-2002, 02:27 AM   #15  

Congratulations Tina!

I read every word. It was riveting. Every workers dream scenario. That's one for the worker. Yes!

Malia
Closed Thread