Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 04-19-2008, 07:33 AM   #1  

Default Ya Gotta Laugh

Remembre the drama with my Challenge teammates and former trainer? (All so offended that I didn't feel challenged?)

During training yesterday we were down by the free weights. There is this one piece of equipment that is like a see-saw. You stand, bend over, and lift the weight to your chest. My trainer Karissa put on 25lbs and it was light as a feather.

"Too light?"

Uh, yeah! I could lift even you.

Her eyes opened wide. "Nah. you think?"

Pretty sure.

My old trainer and teammates were in the boxing room off to the side and the only thing separating the spaces was a glass wall. I knew they'd watch. Told her to let me know if they react.

She was cautious, not wanting me to get hurt, and I said I wouldn't do it if I didn't think it was really manageable.

She hopped on, settled herself and I started lifting. 5, 10, 15...20 reps.

She got off, laughing her butt off, shocked, "Man, MAN! I can't believe!" She was stunned but thrilled. Next go 'round (remember, 3 sets) and Michael, an instructor was standing by. I don't know him well but asked how much he weighed. I wanted to prove to her I could do more weight. He was only 160. Frankly, I HONESTLY think I could have done 250/300lbs. So he was game, hopped on and she was asking how it felt--so I did it one-handed.

OF COURSE, the ex-team/trainer saw. Knowing what I went through with them, she was thrilled to tell me....their jaws dropped to the floor and they stopped boxing.

ROFLMAO!Woo HOO! I am StaaaRONG!

ETA: Why is this apparently a big deal? Women generally don't have strong backs and chests. Apparently...I do. Karissa tells me when she can't do the weight I do or when it's unusual. Since she's the expert on this, she knows. I of course first expect she's BSing me because trainers are notorious to do that to pump up your motivation, but that offended her and so we have a rule together to shoot straight.
JerseyGirl69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 06:36 PM   #2  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

That's great JG. You sound like you are having such a blast right now. Good for you! Learning and testing the boundaries are great. Just be careful. Although I know you will be and you have someone looking out for you too who seems to care.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 07:46 PM   #3  

Seriously, I wouldn't have lifted it if I didn't know it would be light. 140 still felt like 25lbs. Now 300, that would have been a challenge.

And yeah, Karissa's careful with me, which I love. Very in tune with preventing and dealing with injuries (currently--old knee injury acting up from all those circuits during the challenge and old gluteus pull acting up from running, so I'm ALL low impact these days.

((I know you're snickering remembering the pulled glute ; ))
Old 04-20-2008, 09:38 AM   #4  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

I AM! Gosh I keep forgetting about that. See if you just wouldn't bring it up it would totally be forgotten. It's good to be able to laugh a little about it now that it's behind you. (yep, pun intended) but I'm that last person to make light of any injury.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 05:39 PM   #5  

Not totally behind me. It's been acting up last few weeks. Doc said it could become chronic. Anyway, I stopped treadmill sprints and anything high impact and am praying I don't ... pull my ***... a third time.
Old 04-20-2008, 06:24 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

A chronic pain in the a$$!...........lovely. Sounds like some people at work.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote