Old 04-17-2008, 06:52 PM   #1  

Default Priorities...

Hello, all!! I hope everyone is doing fantastically.

As some of you may know, I have been kiiiind of concerned about my grades. Finals are coming up (eeep), but it's all good. Also, I'm kind of freaking out about signing up for classes for this summer and fall. We sign up according to seniority, and so I might not even be able to get into the class that I NEED to continue. (I'm a sophomore so the seniors and juniors that PROCRASTINATED get to sign up before me. LAME!!! UGH.) So, lately I haven't been exercising as much.

Yes yes, bad Ceph!! I know. BUT! I have still been eating well, and I haven't allowed my stress to turn me to the pantry. I don't really feel all that guilty about not exercising, because grades are also a priority for me. I plan on eventually earning a doctorate in psychology, so I know I can't just slack off. I know once this semester is over I'll have more time to exercise, and I can get back on track with that.

Anyway, I was just curious if anyone else has run into situations such as these and what they did? I'd like to try and sneak in some sort of exercise while I am sitting and studying, but I can't think of anything. I know exercise is good for you and can get you pumped up, so I do plan on exercising before the finals that DON'T start at 7:30 in the morning (at that time, I am more concerned about simply finding a parking spot), but I'd still like to figure out some things I can do before then.

Thanks in advance!! I love you guys.
cephalopod gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 07:06 PM   #2  
Image isn't Character

S/C/G: 278(54%BF)/180(10%)/175(8%)

Height: 5'8"

Honestly, I've tried the working out and studying thing...hasn't worked out too well. I can't really read on a treadmill and doing situps with a textbook in your lap can have some pretty painful consequences (well...if you're a guy that is...) Haha, fun times, anywho...I just try and get in a quick run or do some core work to take a break from studying. I'm not one of those people that can sit there for 3 hours straight studying...I like my little 30 min workout breaks I also like nap time...but school interferes with that quite a bit.
griffogrubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 12:46 PM   #3  
Running Fiend.

S/C/G: 210/165/145

Height: 5'7.5"

Yeah, I agree with griff. I'm in finals right now and I've still been hitting the gym as much as I always do because a) if I don't I get stir crazy from sitting in my chair all day, b) I stress out if I don't make it to the gym. Even if it's something as simple as going for a walk/run to clear the cobwebs out of your head sometimes, no matter how stressed out you are, you just need to take a step back from the books.

Oh and I don't want to work out while I'm studying...ever. Haha. One of the many reasons being I go to the gym to get a break from the books, not to try and multitask.
rockstar87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 01:21 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 187.4/147.4/129

Height: 5'2"

Good for you for sticking to the "eating" part of the deal.. that, in itself, is a good thing... even if you're not exercising as much.

I'm not in college and haven't been since 1998/99 (yikes) so I can't relate to that part of it. BUT, I do have priority "issues".. nonetheless. I have a 2 year old

As far as some exercise.. you did mention you drive to school. Not suggesting you walk, as I don't know how far it is for you.. nor if you want to do so at 7:30am! BUT, it's the little things that can add up. Nab a parking space that's further away, walk a bit more distance. On days where I barely have time to brush my TEETH, I do little things .. I go to the grocery store and park in the last spot. I walk down every aisle, even if I don't need anything in it. (etc). It might not be "scheduled routine" exercise.. but a step is a step is a step, kwim?

Good luck getting the classes you want/need!
Erika79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 02:31 PM   #5  
Image isn't Character

S/C/G: 278(54%BF)/180(10%)/175(8%)

Height: 5'8"

Yeah well, Rockstar, I'm kinda maybe just a little tinsy bit of a nerd...so...yah. Hahaha
griffogrubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 03:24 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 187/149/127ish

Height: 5'4"

I find the best way to study and exercise is to write out questions/theory/important notes, on recipe cards, and bring them on the eliptical, treadmill, bike, with you and quiz yourself while working out.
raiatheplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 03:31 PM   #7  
Running Fiend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffogrubb View Post
Yeah well, Rockstar, I'm kinda maybe just a little tinsy bit of a nerd...so...yah. Hahaha
Hahaha. I'm pre-med so I'm the ultimate nerd.
Old 04-18-2008, 04:16 PM   #8  

Thanks for y'all's input!!

I've tried the whole taking a break thing, but I get horribly neurotic about not studying. To me, taking a break is switching from Theories of Learning to Developmental Psychology. (I know I know I'm working on it...) But maybe this finals season I will try working in a 15 minute jog in between subject changes.

And yes, I have been trying to park a little farther, but we have a joke here at UTSA... UTSA's motto is "Come Here, Go Far" ...the students say "Come Here, Park Far" Hahaha, so far parking is inevitable. But even by those circumstances, I do try and park a little further.

And for those who are curious, YES I got into the summer class I needed, and I've already registered for next Fall!! Woo!! Now to pay for it... O.O

Again, thank y'all for your excellent responses.

PS: griffo and rockstar: NERDS FTW. I love nerds hahaha.
Old 04-18-2008, 05:21 PM   #9  

Height: 5'3"

How about considering getting up earlier? That's the only thing that has kept me to a routine - up by 5am to be at the gym for at least hour before classes. That way there's no excuses after a day of classes, labs, study sessions, surgeries, rounds, whatever (our schedule this semester consisted of 14 courses, classes/labs or surgery 8-4 most days, sometimes later) I can definitely relate to the stress of school but if you don't figure out a way to deal with it as an undergrad you're really going to be screwed if you go farther...trust me, I know, I didn't start to figure things out until I was nearly finished with my MS. Now that I'm halfway through my doctorate I'm so glad I've gotten into and stuck with this routine :-)

Good luck...I so don't miss my undergrad days. LOL
BernerDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 05:26 PM   #10  

Lol, well the thing is, I do already get up early (5:00 like you suggested). I just have a lot of crap to do. :/
Old 04-18-2008, 06:09 PM   #11  
Made of Starstuff

Aww Ceph. I wish I had some fantastic advice to help you out. But I don't! Here's a hug until you can work out a schedule for yourself. Do what you can when you can. Life is busy and crap happens. Just have to keep going!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 08:27 PM   #12  
Running Fiend.

In the end if you can't workout, you can't. Just make sure you're following your diet plan to the letter and measure everything to compensate.