Old 04-16-2008, 09:03 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 256/175/150

Height: 5'5

Default weigh ins?

What do you think - is it better to weigh in each morning or once a week at the same time?
skinnyinsideout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 09:14 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

I think it depends on the person. Personally, I tend to fixate and obsess on things, so weighing every day isn't a good idea because the fluctuations drive me crazy. I weigh once a week, except when I think I'm fixating too much, and then I'll take a scale vacation. I recently went for a month without weighing. I try to notice all the other changes and signs of progress that are happening too.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 09:36 AM   #3  

Height: 5'5"

It is so much a personal choice. I am a daily weigher-in, but if I know that the scale won't be kind, I will skip the weigh-in so that it doesn't play with my head. As recommended, I weigh first thing in the morning after emptying my bladder.

I did something toward the beginning of my journey that I think helped quite a bit. For three days or so, I weighed twenty or more times a day just so I could watch the scale fluctuate and better understand how much that number can move around regardless of what I do. It helped give me some perspective so that the scale didn't make me as crazy as it might otherwise have.
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 10:56 AM   #4  

S/C/G: high285/resrart276/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

It's very easy to let the scale rule you when you weigh in every day. Personally I do step on every day, but only record my weight once a week (Mondays, but switching to Saturdays I think). For me the scale helps keep me grounded and focused. It has become part of my morning routine. I get up, drink a cup of water, exercise, do the bathroom business, weigh and shower. That is all my "me" time. I'm a stay at home mom with 3 kids, 2 of whom are very young and the oldest is homeschooled, so there isn't much "me" time available to me.

Many find when they weigh every day if the number doesn't make them happy they let it ruin their day, or they starve themselves all day. For me I don't have that problem, but if it ever starts you can bet I will be hiding that scale!
findingfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 12:20 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurieDawn View Post
I did something toward the beginning of my journey that I think helped quite a bit. For three days or so, I weighed twenty or more times a day just so I could watch the scale fluctuate and better understand how much that number can move around regardless of what I do. It helped give me some perspective so that the scale didn't make me as crazy as it might otherwise have.

I do the same thing. It just baffles me how your weight can change so much with little or no effort. I may step on the scale 20 times in one week or it may just be my Monday morning weigh in. Right now the scale isn't a determining factor. I find it fascinating. If I start obsessing about it (again) I will banish it to the car except for Sunday nights so I can weigh in Monday mornings.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 01:18 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

I'm a daily weigher. I like to see how different foods and times of the month effect my weight. Once I see patterns develop, I get less freaked out about fluctuations.

One thing I've never understood about once a week weighers. What if that once a week happens to occur on the day you had an upward fluctuation for no apparent reason? I would think it would kill your motivation to feel like you'd been great all week and gotten nothing for it.
Robin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 03:57 PM   #7  
McLovin' *TBL Red Team*

Ahhh...it's like the Pepsi or Coke question. All personal preference.

I like to weigh once a week...every Saturday morning. However, I have been known to weigh on Sundays if I didn't see a decent loss on Saturday. I like to see a big drop so daily weighing isn't ideal for me. Plus I don't like to see the fluctuations. Drives me insane! I am still trying to deal with the fact I remained the same last week.
xGurlyGrlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 04:23 PM   #8  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin41 View Post

One thing I've never understood about once a week weighers. What if that once a week happens to occur on the day you had an upward fluctuation for no apparent reason? I would think it would kill your motivation to feel like you'd been great all week and gotten nothing for it.
Well, it's not that much different than seeing the fluctuations if you weigh daily - it just happens less often LOL!

If my weight doesn't do what I think it should (hahaha), and I have been on plan - I don't sweat it. Normally the next week will show a larger loss.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 04:35 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 305/300/1-236/2-180

Height: 5' 6"

I think both, weigh in the morning and on the same day as well.
Rayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 04:48 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 308/303/180

Height: 5'5

I find it to be a personal preference. The up & down on the scale of every day drove me crazy!! I weigh on Saturday mornings. I might do a mid week check just to give me the strength I need to keep getting up early to do my exercise. The scale is a crazy thing...I try right now since I am struggling to focus on NSV !!!!
kellsua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 12:05 AM   #11  
Mummy-tummy battler

S/C/G: 132ish(290+)/~ticker~/75(165)

Height: 164(5'4")

I am neither I weigh twice a week (Sunday and Wednesday), Sunday is my check on how I am doing, Wednesday is my real weigh in (I'm on ww so it is the recorded weight). I find it helps keep me going to check on Sunday, if I see a change I know I am doing well, if I don't then I know I need to stay on target (because the weekend so often sees me going on a little detour ).
jitterfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 01:22 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 292/235/155

Height: 5'8''

I weigh most mornings when I get up before I shower, and I "count" each new low weight. Higher weights do discourage me, but that makes me think about what I ate the day or two before. I figure I might get artificially bloated if I eat salty Indian or Chinese food but I'm probably not artificially less heavy! My official weigh-in day is Mondays, but if I'm less on a Thursday, I think that counts
jenmonkey77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 07:01 AM   #13  
In Onderland!!!!

S/C/G: 227/227/140

Height: 5'4

I went my first month without weighing at all. Now I weigh in a few times a week just to make sure I am still losing.
wendymeows is offline   Reply With Quote