The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 04-16-2008, 08:20 AM   #1  
budding cinephile

S/C/G: 225/197.5/150

Height: 5'5 1/2"

Default TBL Season 5 Finale Discussion

Since we had to close the other thread due to length, continue your discussion of the finale here.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:04 AM   #2  
The Dyslexic Typo Queen

S/C/G: 209/155/120

Height: 5'3

Ali is about to be on the 9 am hour (3 rd hour) of the Today Show. NBC.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:50 AM   #3  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

My heart dropped the moment they announced that Roger made it to the finale - since he had more weight to lose than Mark, I worried that he would beat the girls.

I was happy for Bernie to win the $100K - I really did not want the money go to the big cry baby Mark.

When Kelly showed up in the black dress, I held my breath. She was so amazingly beautiful in it - she is extremely fortunate that the huge weight loss did not really affect her face, her face just went from plump to normal but she has beautiful skin with no wrinkles at all, and lovely eyes.
Of course, her in the little black number was NOTHING compared to what she looked like in weigh-in Tshirt and shorts. She blew my breath away - I could not believe how much weight she lost and the firmness of her body.
I am sad that she did not win, I was really rooting for her, but I hope her wish to have a baby will come true. I was really impressed with her weight loss considering the back injury - that must have been hard to continue exercising and not lose the will to fight on.

Ali - I am happy that we have the first female Biggest Loser. God job!
I have to say that I did not like her haircut at all. I have always thought that the whole Victoria Beckham haircut thing is rather stupid and not flattering at all - perphas I may be a tad influenced by the fact that I don't VB at all (read: can't stand her). I preferred Ali in her regular bob when she was leaving the ranch.
On the other hand, I absolutely love Bette Sue's haircut and if my hair was not so fine, I would go for it.

Jackie - Paul's mom - wow, she looked 20 years younger!
Also Amanda looked good, and Jenni as well - although I barely remembered them - I am kicking myself for having not watching all the episodes from the very beginning (I saw bits and pieces until I started to watch each week when the season was in the middle or so).

Roger looked good.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:59 AM   #4  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Well, I didn't get to watch it yet, but came across an unmarked spoiler elsewhere (not on this board) and am glad a woman won and that is was Ali.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:33 AM   #5  
TBL Challenge Blue Team

S/C/G: 308/199/175

Height: 5'6"

I have to say did anyone notice that Bob was "Skunked" again. Jillian's people took both prizes.

I think I was happier last night for Bernie that I even was for Ali.

Bernie was put below the yellow line by 1 lb, and then for the try and get back in phase, he lost getting back by 1 lb again. SO to see him win by 1 lb was true Karma to me.

Bob said it a few weeks ago that this was the season of the single lb. Jay paid 10,000 for 1 lb., Bernie was off by a lb, the blue team went under for the want of 1 more lb from Jay, etc. It was truly fate that someone win the 100,00 by 1 lb.

Chelle - not to dis your boy, but Bob looked like an idiot last night with the scarf around his neck ... all I could think of was Mr Howell from Giligan's Island every time I looked at him.

Last edited by krjpy; 04-16-2008 at 10:34 AM.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:49 AM   #6  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by krjpy View Post
Chelle - not to dis your boy, but Bob looked like an idiot last night with the scarf around his neck ... all I could think of was Mr Howell from Giligan's Island every time I looked at him.
BWAH!!!! Love it!! Now lay off my boyfriend Bob! LOL

I was PISSED when "America" picked Roger. NO FREAKING WAY did America do that! But Ali made it happen anyway! So glad to have a woman as a BL role model now!
Old 04-16-2008, 11:56 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by krjpy View Post
Bernie was put below the yellow line by 1 lb, and then for the try and get back in phase, he lost getting back by 1 lb again. SO to see him win by 1 lb was true Karma to me.

EXCELLENT Point! I was so happy for him!
Old 04-16-2008, 12:27 PM   #8  
Remember Why I'm Here

S/C/G: s-241/g-145

Height: 5'5"

What an awesome Ending (new beginning) for every single one of the players!!!!

Congratulations to Bernie and Ali!!!!!

I managed to make myself shut down my computer at 5pm pst this time so I would not see results. I really wanted to experience it "live". LOL as live as live usually is on the Left Coast

First thing I noticed was the color of Host Ally's dress. (Is it this thread where people have been noticing her colors reflect the nights winning team, or another.)

Anyhooo... One thing really caught my attention last night. That, although it was great to see all the voted off contestants a few weeks ago, last night was quite anticlimactic compared to all the previous seasons in regards to the dramatic losses. STILL, they were amazing!!!

After 5 seasons, dh is finally hooked on TBL!!!! So I can't wait til the new season starts.

Last edited by iwmonn; 04-16-2008 at 12:29 PM.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:53 PM   #9  

S/C/G: high285/resrart276/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

Am I the only one who was like I kinda figured he wouldn't be back when they said Paul was too sick to come back for last night? Hubby and I have been talking all along that he would never stay with it once he was home.. esp the way he ate those wings when he was home for his visit before getting kicked off. It's really a shame, he was handed such great tools to use.

I'm so impressed by all of them, esp. Ali and Kelly. I'm happy that Mark didn't win anything, he was so stuck on himself that it made me want to puke! I got so tired of his bawling. I saw him cry more in the past few months than my 2 preschoolers have cried put together! I was happy to see Bernie win the 100 grand, and very very happy to see that it was Roger in the final 3. He just seems like such a good, down home type person. I was totally jumping off the sofa when Ali won, I personally think she looks too thin, but holy wow! Totally amazing what a lot of hard work can do for oneself!
Old 04-16-2008, 12:56 PM   #10  
Remember Why I'm Here

S/C/G: s-241/g-145

Just some fyi, fwiw..... THis was posted on another board, by someone who "knows his family".... I just hope he is getting better.

QUOTE(goofygirl @ Apr 15 2008, 09:24 PM) *
About Paul. He has been very sick. One day after being released from a week in the hospital with pneumonia, he had his appendix removed and 6-9 inches of his colon and a colostomy. 8 days later he had another surgery to remove a blood clot and unkink his intestines. So one month later the colostomy goes bad and he is again in surgery #3 to return his colon back to normal. While in the hospital, an infection has taken over his body and has had surgery #4 and #5 to help pump out the infection. Needless to say, he has been in the hospital for 3 weeks this time. He is on his way to recovery and may come home this week.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:02 PM   #11  

S/C/G: high285/resrart276/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

Thanks for that post iwmonn. I hope if that is the case that he is on his road to recovery. Sometimes in life unfortunate things can and do happen. It just seemed super suspicious to me.. but then I tend to be a very questioning person.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:18 PM   #12  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Sad that I didnt even notice Paul was missing. I had fast forwarded through parts of it.

I have to say I was most excited about Bernie winning the runner up prize. He looked great. Mark looks awful...his biceps are GONE. He wasted away his muscle trying to win...hopefully he will get them back now. I really didnt want Dan to win, although Curtis would have been cool because he did it all on his own. Pretty amazing how motivated he was.

When they said that Ali needed to lose 106 I knew she had it, no way in 6 weeks she hadnt lost 7 lbs. She was teeeny. I dont like her haircut either though...and her tan was a little over the top for me. But when your body changes as much as hers does I expect some experimenting with appearance is to be expected. I was very happy she won.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:42 PM   #13  
Dea
TBL Blue team member

quick question....Although Ali looks amazing (maybe a little too thin), is it really possible for someone to go from what she was to what she is now without some kind of tummy-tuck or something. I mean, her abs were flat!!!

So glad that both Ali and Bernie won! I like it when the under-dogs win!
About Bob's tie....even my seven year old son asked why he was wearing his tie under his shirt collar...."doesn't he know how to do a tie?"
Looking forward to the next season!
Old 04-16-2008, 01:58 PM   #14  
Mind over platter

S/C/G: 215/195/144

Ya know...when Ali said in the retrospective: "I literally got fat 5 lbs at a time..." ooooh, LIGHTBULB moment for me!

Yep, I recall that process, step on the scale every few months...and see a little gain and think, "oh, no biggie".....NO! It's a BIGGIE! After a couple years of that I am now a BIGGIE!

Whew...I CAN do it...5 lbs the other way at a time....
Old 04-16-2008, 02:04 PM   #15  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

I also wanted to make a comment about Alison Sweeney's dress - I loved it (lovely colour) but I think those sheath dresses are so dangerous. Did you notice how it accentuated the tiny tummy she has? Especially when the fabric has some sheen. I just kept staring at that spot all the time. [smacking myself senseless]