Old 04-14-2008, 07:30 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 265/211/130

Height: 5'6"

Default Old habits

I don't post very often, but am on here daily reading through the post. It has helped me embrace my health eating for the last 8 weeks. Yesterday was not a good "healthy eating" day though. I don't know what caused me to stray from my plan, but what did scare me a little was how easily I jumped right back into my old habits. I had fast food...twice yesterday. I haven't even given fast food a though for weeks now, but yesterday it seemed like I never made any changes to my eating habits. Last night I was grocery shopping...all healthy food, except one thing. A bag of chocolate covered dried cherries (one of my favorites). I ate half the bag last night.

I'm not beating myself up over it, I went back to my healthy eating today with no temptations to stray from my plan again, but I am still thinking about how seamlessly I slid back into my old ways. After eight weeks, I though I would at least try to talk myself out of things like fast food or candy, but I didn't. I just bought it and ate it like things had never changed. This is what has always ruined my plan in the past, but it's usually after 3-4 weeks, I thought after at least 8 I would at least show some resistance. I guess I will have to be a little more diligent about not letting my guard down.
WildThings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 07:39 PM   #2  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Hi Amanda,
We have to be ever vigilant. After 4 years, I can still easily fall into the fat girl habits. It is scary how easy it can be.
You have the tools to stop it - and you did, which is great!
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 08:55 PM   #3  

You may not have stopped yourself yesterday -- but I bet you were much more aware and it sounds like it didn't take you too long to get back on track -- I think the fact you noted your fault and began again is a huge accomplishment. I know for me in the past if I feel into old habits it could take me as much as a month to get back on track. Now the longest I've strayed is a day or two and then I knock some sense into myself and get it together. I think progress has to be measured in little steps when it comes to weight loss.

You did a great job!!!
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 09:07 PM   #4  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

awesome that you stopped it in its tracks! yay!

constant vigilance is the only saving grace (for me anyway) as I know for a fact that I'll never NOT love to eat the worst crap in the world LOL So many lucky people say that after eating well for weeks/months, the old stuff tastes terrible to them...sigh....i wish that would happen to me But mashed potatoes and gravy? good....chips??? good....LOL so I have to keep my eyes OPEN all the time
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 06:44 AM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I'm into this new way of eating (healthy) for almost 2 years now and this past weekend was a total and complete disaster. Right back to my old ways. I planned my food out - but ate totally off plan anyway. I ate practically anything and everything in sight. It IS amazing how fast I could go right back to it, and after so long. With all the new, wonderful habits I have in place, the old fat girl is STILL there and I'm afraid she always will be.

But unlike the past, I was right back to it, stronger then ever come Monday. And THAT is the difference. Can't let it spiral out of control. Got to get a grip on it. One bad day or weekend or whatever can not turn into days and days and weeks. Had I had this way of thinking in the old days, there never would have been a morbidly obese Robin.

So yes, that vigilience and I think even more importantly, that right back to it-ness will make all the difference in the world. All the difference.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 06:58 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Yes...it is SO easy to fall back to our old ways. I totally understand - it fits us like an old favorite comfy tee shirt. Seems like we can slip it right back on. But - that fact that you've gotten right back to healthy eating is such good progress. It mean alot. Good for you!
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 07:33 AM   #7  
beth

S/C/G: 344.8/see ticker/299

Height: 5'5"

Congratulations for getting back on track!!! For me - that's the toughest part. I think its part of what made us all so heavy to begin with.

Be as kind to yourself - as you would be to a friend
gr8smyl99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 04:07 PM   #8  
Taking life by the horns

S/C/G: 302/ticker/215

Height: 6'1"

yep--- k ey difference... sure, as FAT people we had "bad days"... but we had them ALL THE TIME!

We ate bad, didn't care WHAT we were eating that was bad, and so ate bad the NEXT day... and the next... and the next...

You KNOW how bad that food was. And so you had it, you enjoyed it (hopefully!!!!) and you move on. Check it off your list of cravings for the month. And today, this week, this month... it's a new day.

I had the same problem as you... I was CRAZY stressed with Firearms Training all last week... I was sore as heck, burning a million calories each day with the extra activity than I'm used to... and so I "figured" I could afford having chocolate covered pretzels... two days. And homemade cookies another day... UGH. So instead of taking ALL THAT EXERCISE as a bonus to my weight loss thus far, instead I wasted it by eating it away...
BrandNewJen is offline   Reply With Quote