Old 04-14-2008, 01:13 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 303/252/150

Height: 5' 5"

Question Have you ever wondered... why food??

I get in these pondering moods sometimes and my current ponderings have me wondering... why food? I am relatively successful in other areas of my life... I have a great marriage, great baby, great friends, house, successful at my job, etc. (Of course, I just started a game of peek-a-boo with my 14 month old as I am typing this. She has pasta sauce all over hands... duh. I will skip "decent mom' )

I would be rejected by Mensa for sure but I think I am at least relatively intelligent. Intellectually I get that I need to expend more calories than I take in. So why do I keep blowing it?

Anyone else ponder this? Anyone have any break through as to why this was true for them?
KidsLibrarylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 01:18 PM   #2  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

I too have a very happy / successful life...other than the weight.

My father was an alcoholic. So were both my Grandma's and 1 Grandpa. It's in my gene's to have an addictive personality. My drug of choice is food. I often think that it's that simple. It's entertainment for me.

That's not an excuse, I fully plan to conquer my addiction, but that's where I think it came from.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 01:20 PM   #3  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Height: 5'5½

Maybe because you have other things that you have spent a great deal of energy investing in... career, spouse, family, finances, friends... it's hard to get that perfect balance to add ourselves to that mixture.

I can't imagine you are blowing it though... you have lost 52 lbs!!!! THAT is amazing! So obviously weight loss works for you too, maybe just not at the rate that you would like it to be at?
PinkyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 01:51 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi View Post

My father was an alcoholic. So were both my Grandma's and 1 Grandpa. It's in my gene's to have an addictive personality. My drug of choice is food. I often think that it's that simple. It's entertainment for me.
That's me in a nutshell. I was judgmental of my father and a brother who had a drug problem for years before I figured out that I had the same problem, that I just expressed it in a different way.

Throw a little OCD on top of that and you end up with a fatapalooza.
Robin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 02:13 PM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin41 View Post
Throw a little OCD on top of that and you end up with a fatapalooza.
Now, that's ME in a nutshell.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 02:37 PM   #6  
Back on the wagon

S/C/G: 205/162/125

Height: 5'1"

Hi hi hi! It's been a while - I've been over on the Beck thread. Which, as it happens, might be an interesting place to ponder this question. For me, we don't have any alcoholics in the family at all. We just eat. It was the center of our family growing up. Every vacation, holiday, celebration, everything was about the food. Everyone but my dad was obese. So, not much mystery there.

How are things going with you? (I should probably be PMing this...)
kuhljeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 02:42 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 337/ticker/320

Height: 5'7

I guess we all have our, "Why we turned to Food", story, some of us might have a slight differant story to tell, but food was always there, never judgemental, always made us feel good and never asked for anything in reply.

Of course the flip side to that is, the more you eat, the more you want to eat, I guess it's not so much what you are eating, but what's eating you.

------
I'm so glad I found this site, it's full of such great inspiration, support and the knowledge from so many, on getting healthy. That's what I'm trying to do, this time from the inside out.
Institches21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 02:50 PM   #8  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

fatapalooza!!!!! hahaha i love that!!!

I'm in the same boat, food was my drug of choice. I have/had the "good girl" mentality that booze and drugs and smoking are bad so can't do any of that business, and brownies are wayyyyyyyyy more fun!!!

But if my brother can kick drugs (for more than 20 years now) i can kick brownies!
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 03:02 PM   #9  

Why food? -- I personally have had issues in other areas as well my entire life. Luckily I grew out of the rest of them!!

I guess I've also always had a "pleasing personality" -- my mother was a food addict so I just followed her lead. There were such control issues over food, friends, life in general when I was young that my goal was to make her happy (which I don't think ever could occur). Eating was my one comfort -- where I had "control". I know this because at 18 when I moved out on my own -- "poof" the problem was gone!! I was in charge then. However, when I met/moved in with my husband it came back.

Last edited by shelby897; 04-14-2008 at 03:02 PM.
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 03:04 PM   #10  

S/C/G: high285/resrart276/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

Just wanted to offer some to ya.

I don't really feel like food is an addiction to me, I just spent many years making bad choices because they tasted better.. I am a sucker for a sweet.

The only part of my life that I'm not happy with is my weight. I have horrible self confidence issues because of it.
findingfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 03:11 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Our biological imperative to crave highsugar high fat food and store it for hungry times isn't an insignificant factor. Give our bodies 2000 years to get used to grocery stores!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 03:17 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 305/300/1-236/2-180

Height: 5' 6"

I truly think its just a problem with addiction for me. I used to smoke so that right there says that I have a problem with addiction. Do I truly need the food? No, I choose to have the food because I am addicted to it, rarely do I ever enjoy a meal that I have. I just love to eat and I feel that in some world I will somehow die if I don't get that food in my belly! Its ridiculous and its a battle that we will all have to conquor, I truly think that we all can! Good luck to you and everyone else, we can do it!
Rayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 03:22 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 267.2/254/150

Height: 5'6

Same here, I dont really know that I am addicted to food. My parents were both drug addicts so myself I never choose to go that route. what I will say is I am an emotional eater. When im happy, mad, sad, angry I eat. I am trying to find other place to focus that food void. I also can just eat and eat and eat. And now I dont, its been a fun change and I feel much better about myself. Granted i have only lost 13 lbs.
ThatsSpify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 03:25 PM   #14  

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuhljeanie View Post
We just eat. It was the center of our family growing up. Every vacation, holiday, celebration, everything was about the food.
That fits me, everything in our family revolved around food. I can remember events by the food I ate.

I also have an emotional issue with food. I turn to it when I'm stressed, when I'm really happy, when I'm bored. I think the only time I don't turn to it is when I'm sad or depressed, which thankfully doesn't happen very often.

I guess I also have some part of addiction...lol. I guess I have it all! The problem with food addiction is that you can't completely turn your back on it, you need to eat, and that's probably the toughest part, to learn to live with your addiction and try to modify your habits so you're not od'ing on the food.

I'm just glad I found this website, support is such a huge part of the battle that we're all in.
friendlykat4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 03:27 PM   #15  

Hi,

Same thing...food was the center of everything in our house growing up. It was about the only time my parents weren't fighting! Well, not always, though...

Sherry
suzie76 is offline   Reply With Quote