South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 04-10-2008, 01:51 PM   #1  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

Default Protein Powders

I'm not sure how many of you use them, or even think about using them...but I've been using them for years to supplement meals, or as a substitute for meals when I'm in a time crunch.

The one I've been using lately is Muscle Milk Light.

My question is this: Is is South Beach Phase 1 friendly? I don't want to tear down my hard work just because I feel like having a shake.

Here are the ingredients that I pulled off our distributors website:

Supplement Facts
Serving Size: 2 Scoops (50g)
Servings per Bottle 15

Amount per Serving Percent Daily Value
Calories 195
Calories From Fat 50
Total Fat 6 g
Saturated Fat 2.5 g
Cholesterol 5 mg
Sodium 115 mg
Potassium 620 mg
Total Carbohydrates 11 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 2 g
Protein 25 g

Vitamin A 1750 IU
Vitamin C 21 mg
Calcium 600 mg
Vitamin D 140 IU
Vitamin E 11 IU
Thiamin (B1) 0.5 mg
Riboflavin (B2) 0.6 mg
Niacin (B3) 7 mg
Pyridoxine (B6) .7 mg
Folic Acid 140 mcg
Cyanocobalamin (B12) 2.1 mcg
Biotin 105 mcg
Pantothenic Acid 4 mg
Phosphorus 350 mg
Iodine 53 mcg
Magnesium 140 mg
Zinc 5 mg
Copper 0.7 mcg
Chromium 108 mcg

Ingredients: Evopro (micellar alpha and beta caseins and caseinates, whey concentrates rich in alpha-lactalbumin, whey isolates, whey peptides, L-glutamine, taurine, lactoferrin), maltodextrin, leanlipids (trans fat free liquid complex consisting of sunflower and/or safflower oil, mct's, canola oil, L-carnitine), cocoa powder, Cytovite I (vitamin amd mineral premix consisting of vitamin A acetate, cholecalciferol, d-alpha-tocopherol acetate, ascorbic acid, folate, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, niacinamide, pyridoxine HCL, cyanocobalamin, biotin, pantothenic acid, di-calcium phosphate, potassium iodide, potassium chloride, ferrous fumarate, magnesium oxide, copper gluconate, zinc oxide, chromium nicotinate), fructose, natural and artificial flavors, GCC (proprietary endogenous creatine precursor consisting of glycocyamine, betaine anhydrous), acesulfame potassium, cellulose gum, xanthan gum, carrageenan, sucralose, soy lecithin.

Also, I use the vanilla variety, so it doesn't have cocoa powder in it. The only sugar that I really see is sucralose which is Splenda.

Last edited by zeffryn; 04-10-2008 at 01:53 PM.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 02:13 PM   #2  

I don't use protein powders so maybe I'm not the best person to comment. I do see fructose those which is fruit sugar and I see maltodextrin listed as the number 2 ingredient. I usually try to avoid that much of it although it is certainly in some phase 2 foods I eat.

A maltodextrin is a short chain of molecularly linked dextrose (glucose) molecules, and is manufactured by regulating the hydrolysis of starch. Typical commercial maltodextrins contain as few as three and as many as nineteen linked dextrose units.

While the singular term “maltodextrin” is permitted in an ingredient statement, the term “maltodextrin” can be applied to any starch hydrolysis product that contains fewer than 20 dextrose (glucose) units linked together. This means that the term “maltodextrin” stands for a family of products, not a single distinct ingredient.

Additionally, today’s commercially important maltodextrin products are produced from corn, potato or rice. Unlike the other starch sweeteners, the undefined term “maltodextrin” can be used in an ingredient list no matter the original source of starch.

Maltodextrins are used in a wide array of foods, from canned fruits to snacks. Maltodextrins may also be an ingredient in the single-serve, table-top packet of some artificial sweeteners.
Barb0522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 06:30 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

The ingredients list alone would put me off this one! It's so full of chemicals and additives that I don't know how it could be good for you.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 06:59 PM   #4  
beachin'

I think I will keep it for phase 2. Thanks, Barb.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:54 PM   #5  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

Wow, Barb! You are a nutritional genius!

Kara
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 09:50 PM   #6  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

I'm with Kara Barb you ROCK!!!
Zeff Trader Joes has an unflavored protein powder I'll check the ingredients in the AM. I usually throw a scoop or 2 in my coffee.
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 01:41 PM   #7  
Roz

I go to a support group meeting every week (most there do WW), and they will be serving a protein drink next week. Like Zef, I was wondering if it was okay. The brand is Juice Plus, which is used by a lot of health-conscious folks.
Roz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 01:53 PM   #8  
beachin'

Thanks, KO.

Like I said, I'm reserving it for phase 2. I had one on day 1 on phase 1, although I've since started phase 1 over. It was sweet, and made me crave. Probably the artificial sweeteners.

We do have an unflavored protein powder, although it gives whatever you put it in a rather grainy texture. I put it in yogurt the other day and wasn't very enthusiastic about eating it afterwards. Oh well, the struggles we go through to get thin