Old 04-08-2008, 03:53 PM   #1  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

Default sooooo disheartening!!!!

I ran into a secretary who used to work here, about 3 or 4 years ago she lost 140 pounds over the course of 18 months, she was very inspirational to get ME moving and going in the right direction, gave me hope etc. that anything was possible...

Well, she's gained the 140 back PLUS 22 lbs., and I wanted to cry for her. She seemed so sad about it all.

I cannot go thru this again. I'm terrified that's going to happen. Ugh.... makes me break out into a cold sweat.

ok get a grip, focus !!! watch Biggest Loser tonight and stay positive!!
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 03:56 PM   #2  
Method to the Madness

S/C/G: 381.4/in the middle/160

Height: 5'9

I think this is one of those times where it's best to remember that you and her are not the same person. The ultimate outcome of her situation has NOTHING to do with the outcome of yours. Just because it didn't work out for her this time, that doesn't mean that it won't for you! She's no better than you are, so there's no reason to compare her situation to yours.

It is sad, though. Just let it be a reminder that you have to work just as hard to maintain the weight once you've lost it (maybe harder).
LindseyLouWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 03:57 PM   #3  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

It is disheartening when you see a regain. But let's learn from this. This is journey will last our entire lives. We will always have to watch our food and exercise. That's the plain truth of it.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 04:53 PM   #4  
I CAN DO THIS!!

S/C/G: 360.6/335.4/140

Height: 5'7½"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trazey34
I cannot go thru this again. I'm terrified that's going to happen. Ugh.... makes me break out into a cold sweat.
Trazey,

I have this same fear and so far it is working to my advantage. I am absolutely terrrified of going back to where I came from... just thinking about it gives me an awful anxious feeling.

Use the fear, Trazey!!

Last edited by gina1221; 04-08-2008 at 04:53 PM.
gina1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 05:01 PM   #5  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

This happened to my dad...and yeah, it's sad. And he was one of my major inspirations to get my weight and life under control.

It can be so hard to see, but you're right, it DOES remind us that we have to be vigilant to prevent weight regain...period.

So think positively. After all...she didn't have the 3FC maintainers forum, right?
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 05:22 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Trazey...yes, I agree - it IS so sad to see someone gain their weight back. I bet we all know someone to whom it's happened (if not ourselves). It only proves once again that it's a lifelong journey - but, luckily, we only have to take it a day at a time. I know that sounds like a "sound bite" - but, it's so so true.

You are not your friend - your journey will be yours.

Take care now.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 05:36 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 267.2/254/150

Height: 5'6

I can only imagine! I am hoping that once I get a rockin bod I will love and cherish it soooo much ill never go back to chubbyville
ThatsSpify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 05:38 PM   #8  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

It is scary, and having lost and gained prior to this, it's a big fear of mine. I also fear that I am just going to wake up at 250 again one day. Like it would really happen that way, such a silly thing to be afraid of.

Let's face it, statistics are against those who lose weight. All that means is that these are life choices that we must do forever.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 05:52 PM   #9  
Ready to be thin

S/C/G: 272/255/172

Height: 5'4

Default My biggest fear

You hear about this all too frequently. It is such a shame. I can only hope that when I take this weight off, I will keep it off. However, the adage of "Nothing tastes as good as thin feels" isn't always true. That's why, I think, we have to realize this transformation is mental journey also. That's what I am trying to deal with right now...There is a reason I have been heavy all my life. There is a reason I give in, every single time. There is a reason I have no idea what being thin feels like. I believe I have to figure out this reason or I am never going to take this weight off and I certainly won't be able to keep it off. But how? I got some serious soul-searching (and therapist-searching!) to do.
lvlygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 06:10 PM   #10  
IncredibleShrinkingWoman

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'11"

I know it happens a lot, gaining back weight you lost while dieting, but how does it happen after a dramatic weight loss like 150 pounds?

I mean, I've gained back all the weight I've ever lost, but mostly because I gave up and didn't really care anymore. And I had only lost around 30-40 pounds, so I was only going from very fat to pretty fat, then back to fatter and then super fat. It wasn't as big a deal to me as it should have been, and I wasn't really aware of my body.

But holy cow, if I manage to lose 150 pounds ... oy! That is painful. Do people just give up? Does 150 come back accidentally and you don't ... notice? Howwwwww does it happen?? And how do you make that not be you?

I never gave it much thought. I've only been focusing on not giving up and not falling back into old habits of overeating and being sedentary.

Last edited by bigtxmomma; 04-08-2008 at 09:27 PM.
bigtxmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 06:20 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 330/ticker/192

Height: 5'10

I was her many times over the course of the years. Sometimes I am terrified of being her again. But, most of the time I'm clear that this time is different for me. I know that this lifestyle change is for life, and my fate as a fat person is not sealed.

The odds are against us--we all know that--but there are successful long-term losers, and we can be among them.
BattleAx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 06:41 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 308/303/180

Height: 5'5

I'm right there..I lost 100 pounds in the course of 2 yrs, and the last 2 yrs I have gained a majority of it back. My body shut right down..said not another, even though I follow the WW plan and exercise, and have hypothyroidism as well. It is so frustrating. I'm under doctor care right now, to see what is going on....

It is so hard to have this happening after being so successful with loosing weight. I keep thinking it is going to come off like before, but it isn't.
It's not nice seeing the almost thin lady...back to the OMG...lady !!!
kellsua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 07:04 PM   #13  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Trazey, it is a scarey thought....to work so very hard to get this stuff off of our bodies, only to gain it all back...plus more! But, this doesn't have to be our story. There are people here at 3FC who are successful at keeping the weight off. Do you spend much time in the Maintainer's Forum here? I encourage you to drop in there every once in a while and read through the posts. They are paving the way for all of us by learning what it takes to maintain for life. We can learn a lot from them and be ready for to join them on this lifetime journey. We can do this. We can be maintainers.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 07:19 PM   #14  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlyGirlSebas View Post
Do you spend much time in the Maintainer's Forum here? I encourage you to drop in there every once in a while and read through the posts. They are paving the way for all of us by learning what it takes to maintain for life. We can learn a lot from them and be ready for to join them on this lifetime journey. We can do this. We can be maintainers.
I always read the maintainers forum. I wonder if they can feel all the eyes watching them LOL!
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 07:45 PM   #15  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

I wonder how many people who lose lots of weight are really confident that they won't gain it back. I know I'm not. I'm very scared of that happening. I would think the gain happens so gradually you can almost convince yourself it's not happening; 10 lbs here, 10 lbs there, you quit weighing - trying to hide from the truth, another 10 lbs here, etc. I could see that happening.

Kellsua, welcome. Hope your doctor can help you start back losing again. I'm hypothyroid also, it does make things a little more difficult, but it can still be done.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote