South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 10:03 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 190/155/135

Height: 5'3"

Default Cabbage help!

Ok so I bought a cabbage....

SOO Now what do i do with it? LOL
Old 04-08-2008, 10:06 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

Is it white or red cabbage? I'm weird, and I like steamed white cabbage. I also like to cut it up fresh and stick it in salads and soups. Hope that helps!
Old 04-08-2008, 10:39 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 250/150/135

Height: 5'4

Chop and boil. I love making cabbage soup. I use hamburger, bouillon. and a bunch of different veggies. Super tasty and great if you need to go to the bathroom.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:00 PM   #4  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

Soup! Also, a vinegar based slaw would be nice for the coming spring and summer months. I have a really great recipe, let me find it.

found it.

Szechwan Slaw (from the Whole Foods Cookbook) I'm pretty sure it's phase 1 friendly, but if someone sees something not so friendly, please let me know. I want to make this again soon.

Dressing:
1/4 rice vinegar
1/4 c. canola oil
1/4 splenda
2 T. grated fresh ginger
1/4 t. crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 c. minced fresh cilantro
salt to taste

Salad:
3 cups thinly sliced red cabbagae
3 cups thinly sliced green cabbage (although I usually just use a whole red cabbage and no green cabbage)
1 large red pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
1 large carrot, grated (or julienned)
1/4 pound snow peas, sliced thinly and diagonally
1/8 c. black sesame seeds (omit if you can't find, or use white sesame seeds)

Combine all ingredients for dressing. Mix well. Set aside.

To prepare the salad: Combine the cabbages, red pepper, scallions, carrot, snow peas and sesame seeds. Fifteen minutes before serving time, toss the cabbage mixture with the dressing, as this allows the flavors to meld while keeping the crisp vegetables intact and fresh.

It's so fresh and wonderful. I've eaten this many times with a grilled chicken breast as a meal. I'm really hoping that it's phase 1 friendly, as I'm having some grilled chicken later this week and I would love to use this as a side.

Last edited by zeffryn; 04-08-2008 at 11:09 PM.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:06 AM   #5  

hmmm.. these look like good ideas. Thanks!
I also did some googling and stumbled on this website. Some of them aren't too SB friendly, but most of them can be modified to meet them:
Cabbage Recipe Library

Hope you guys get to check it out. And I will be trying the recipes you gave and many more... We'll see how it goes
If I find any that are really awesome, I'll post!
Old 04-09-2008, 12:58 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 307/172/153.5 (half of SW)

Height: 5'8''

Stir fry! With other veggies and lean protein and some teriyaki marinade/sauce thrown in. Yum. Being Polish, I make a healthier version of Golabki, which are Polish cabbage rolls. My great aunt makes them with ground hamurger & pork, seasonings, and white rice. I make mine with ground turkey, seasonings, and brown rice. I like hers a lot better, but mine are pretty tasty too!
Old 04-09-2008, 06:28 AM   #7  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

I love cabbage! It's definitely one of my SBD secret ingredients.

-saute it in evoo with garlic & fennel seeds, then mix in some white beans and the crumbled bacon of your choice ( I use tempeh bason).

- slice it really fine and toss in a pan with spray olive oil and garlic (I really like garlic!). add a little water and cover. When it's done use it like pasta/noodles. Sounds weird but tastes great.

- my current favorite - saute as above, add a couple of tablespoons of good Hungarian paprika (this is not like the stuff most people have. it has flavor!). Cook on low to blend flavors and until you have the texture you want. Mix some ww flour into ff yogurt and slowly add to cabbage. Heat on low until sauce thickens. I can eat just this by the bowl happily

Sorry the recipes lack detail. I rarely post recipes because I don't measure and don't even remember what I put in things sometimes!
Old 04-09-2008, 06:40 AM   #8  
Determined to lose!

Cyndi, I'm going to try some of those, thanks! I forgot about cabbage, silly me!

There was a recipe for "lazy man's stuffed cabbage" that I loved... I can't get onto the site though. Basically finely chop cabbage (I do this by scoring, then slice like meat, walla!), place into crock pot and ad ingredients to make stuffed cabbage, ... again will have to try finding the recipe. was easy and delicious, and made enough to freeze!
Old 04-09-2008, 07:40 AM   #9  

zeffryn - The carrot keeps your recipe from being for phase 1 but that part could probably be skipped until phase 2.

I like to roughly cut cabbage and lightly cook it and serve foods over it that would normally go over rice (creole, red snapper courtboullion, etc)
Old 04-09-2008, 08:39 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyndiM View Post
I love cabbage! It's definitely one of my SBD secret ingredients.

-saute it in evoo with garlic & fennel seeds, then mix in some white beans and the crumbled bacon of your choice ( I use tempeh bason).

- slice it really fine and toss in a pan with spray olive oil and garlic (I really like garlic!). add a little water and cover. When it's done use it like pasta/noodles. Sounds weird but tastes great.

- my current favorite - saute as above, add a couple of tablespoons of good Hungarian paprika (this is not like the stuff most people have. it has flavor!). Cook on low to blend flavors and until you have the texture you want. Mix some ww flour into ff yogurt and slowly add to cabbage. Heat on low until sauce thickens. I can eat just this by the bowl happily
Cyndi, that could have been me posting that, I adore cabbage! I use it in place of noodles and rice, too. I'm eager to try your idea with the paprika and yogurt, that sounds really good. I just bought some smoked paprika that this should be perfect for!
Old 04-09-2008, 09:44 AM   #11  
beachin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb0522 View Post
zeffryn - The carrot keeps your recipe from being for phase 1 but that part could probably be skipped until phase 2.
Thanks so much! I really like this recipe, and from what I remember the carrot doesn't do a whole lot for it. I'm not a huge fan of carrot, so dropping it wouldn't be that big of deal.

What about the pea pods? I thought I heard somewhere that peas were not SBP1.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:19 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeffryn View Post

What about the pea pods? I thought I heard somewhere that peas were not SBP1.
Peas aren't Phase 1 friendly, you have to wait til Phase 2 for them, but on Phase 1 you may have sugar-snap and snow-peas.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:26 AM   #13  
beachin'

Ah. Thanks for the answer. I'm not exactly sure I understand the reason behind it, but if you say it I'll follow it.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:30 AM   #14  

Thanks guys. I'll be trying these along with the link I posted. There's over 200 recipes. I found 1 for cabbage pie. It'd be p2 as the crust is mashed potatoes.
speaking of which is better sweet potatoes or reg. for sb?
Old 04-09-2008, 10:39 AM   #15  
beachin'

Sweet. I don't think that white potatoes are allowed on Phase 2. At least from what I understand. The carbs in sweet potatoes are more complex than white potatoes.
Closed Thread