Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-08-2008, 07:25 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 256/175/150

Height: 5'5

Default Why doesn't anyone notice??

I'm so frustrated! I have lost 29 pounds and have been seeing people I haven't seen in a couple weeks and no one has noticed the weight loss. It is driving me crazy!! Anyone else run into this & at what point do they notice? It's almost the bigger you are the more invisible you are!!
skinnyinsideout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 07:29 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 267/see ticker/139

Height: 5'6"

It is generally the 30lb mark that most people noticed in me. You will be surprised how many people notice but are afraid to say anything.

Also it helps if you are wearing clothes that fit rather than just baggy versions of what you always wore.

I have lost almost 85lbs and I still have people comment for the first time that have seen me over the last year and they still say they did not know if they should say anything - people can be so odd!
lorilove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 07:32 PM   #3  

i agree with the poster above. sometimes people really dont know how to say it. i know in the past when i released a large amt of weight, i actually got tired of the comments and so called compliments i received.

just be proud of you and know that there are many here that are celebrating right along with ya!
ambersmom722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 07:39 PM   #4  
One pound at a time!

S/C/G: 264/239/199

Height: 5'6"

Yeah, it really depends on what you wear. I got a new smaller shirt last week and the first day I wore it 2 people asked if I've been loosing weight.
Beth
bethbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 07:46 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Yup, people will notice when you change clothing. And yes people feel awkward and don't know what to say.

We're happy and proud of you!
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 07:50 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 250/150/135

Height: 5'4

I have found that I only get comments from people that I rarely see. People that see me everyday don't notice the gradual changes.
ShannanA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 07:54 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 234/154.4/120

Height: 5'6

Would you walk up to one of your coworkers and ask if they've been losing weight or make a comment on it?

I know that I'm just not the type of person to do that sort of thing. I know how personal losing weight can be and I'd rather wait until they bring it up before I say anything, I definately don't want to make someone feel uncomfortable.
FreeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 08:01 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

I've lost 125 pounds and I still see people who either don't mention it at all or ask if I've lost "a little" weight. It's weird but I think a lot of people are just uncomfortable with it.

On the other hand, I've also had people go on and on about it until I just want to smack them in the head.

Don't worry, your efforts are being noticed.
Robin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 08:03 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 250/150/135

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelypurple View Post
Would you walk up to one of your coworkers and ask if they've been losing weight or make a comment on it?
I would, I think everyone deserves some credit for their hard work. My friend gained 20 lbs and I didn't even notice, I think when you are really big it's a lot less noticable when someone puts or takes off weight.

Last edited by JayEll; 04-09-2008 at 07:02 AM.
ShannanA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 08:06 PM   #10  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

Height: 5' 7"

I've lost 33 pounds and got my first comment at 30 pounds. I just had someone comment yesterday that I looked good and thought it was the color of my shirt.
Some people just aren't that observant of things that are not of immediate impact to them.
WebRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 08:19 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 302/ticker/175

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin41 View Post
I've lost 125 pounds and I still see people who either don't mention it at all or ask if I've lost "a little" weight. It's weird but I think a lot of people are just uncomfortable with it.

On the other hand, I've also had people go on and on about it until I just want to smack them in the head.

Don't worry, your efforts are being noticed.
Robin - I see that I have about the same amount of weight to lose as you've lost! And you did it in a year... That's what I'm shooting for - from 302 to 175. I started March 18 and my goal is 175 by April 1, 2009.

If you don't mind me asking, what did you do? I count calories and so far so good. I also see your "mini-goals" I should probably do that as well. Something to shoot for.

I am always amazed at how many people have lost large amounts of weight - such an inspiration!

Karen
KarenGinNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 08:28 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

I'm just a calorie counter and I exercise 5-6 times a week. Really I think the exercise is the key. Burns calories, kicks up your metabolism and makes you think twice about a little "cheat" when you put all that effort into working out.

Mini goals really worked for me because I'm really competitive. The key is to always make them reasonably achievable. They should encourage you, not make you feel badly about yourself because you couldn't reach them in the timeframe you set yourself.

You're doing great. Enjoy the process; it's going to take awhile so you might as well enjoy it and learn some stuff.
Robin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 08:31 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 256/175/150

Height: 5'5

Thanks everyone for the replies - I have had people say my hair looks good, or outfit is nice, maybe that's what they think it is. This is my first post and you all are so kind and supportive, wow! - thank you!!

I am the typr that would say something because I know what an accomplishment it is, but I guess for those that haven't fought the battle, maybe they don't get it.

Thanks again!!!:

flow1:
skinnyinsideout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 08:33 PM   #14  
me

S/C/G: 299/135/fit

a lot of people just dont know if they should comment on something like that--It can be embarassing. Some ppl just feel like they shouldnt say anything unless they know the person is dieting...dont worry, someone will notice soon enough!!
kisskiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 09:35 PM   #15  

I'm amazed the people who notice when you gain weight and open their mouths for no reason -- but when you lose -- nothing! Maybe they are afraid you will say "no, I haven't lost anything" -- kind of up there with "when are you due" and finding out they aren't pregnant.

Maybe they just can't put their finger on it -- you look great -- hair, clothes, what did she do

Enjoy it -- you are doing this for you!! I bet one day it will just happen and never stop!!!
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote