Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-06-2008, 01:34 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 169/153/130

Height: 5'2"

Lightbulb I have run into a "weight barrier"

Well, I am new here. I am a college student who is fed up with being "gorda" or "fat" in English. I am sure if anyone on this site saw my picture, they would not believe that I weigh 153 lbs. But, I do. I used to weigh 169 lbs. I have tried to lose more weight but I keep bouncing between 150 and 153. I know that my stress level has to be one reason and the soda is definitely another.

I guess I could go exercise more but my family does not support my weight loss and I have no motivation left. I must do this for myself but it seems so easy to just sit around and eat. I put everything I have into studying and usually put off exercise. Just need a little kick in the behind if you guys don't mind helping me . I have been thinking about joining the basketball team this fall as a motivator for weight loss and I really do like the idea. What do you all think I should do?

Any suggestion helps! Thanks for reading.
crystal lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 02:14 PM   #2  

Hello! Welcome to 3FC. This place is amazing and the people here are absolutely supportive.

I know what you mean about studying so much and putting off exercise. That was totally me before the two semesters before this. What I do now is make myself wake up earlier to exercise before class that way I have all of the day AFTER class to get my studying done. I know that doesn't sound like a pleasant thing, and at first it was horrible. I won't lie. Haha. But, now I look forward to waking up and getting myself pumped before school. I've found that I'm happier and more awake on the days that I exercise than on the days I don't. So that's one thing you can do.

Also, how much soda do you drink? If you drink more than one can a day, you might want to try limiting yourself to 1 a day. And then after you're okay with that, try and eliminate it completely. I used to be quite a soda fiend myself, but then gave it up for Lent. I just lost my taste for it. The only soda I'll drink now is root beer, and even that is a very rare occassion. Very very rare occassion. Haha.

I hope these tips help you at least get started. And I'm sure more ladies (and a few gents!) will follow my post with more helpful tips!!
cephalopod gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 03:54 PM   #3  

if you need motivation on cutting out the sodas, google soft drinks and teeth ... it's scary!
gypsyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 07:46 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Hey there! Welcome.

I also know what you mean about lacking motivation. I work a job where I sit on my behind at a computer most of the week and then have 1 or 2 days of strenuous physical movement. It's hard on my body. I also have a husband who is not at all interestedin participating in a healthy lifestyle or exercising - he doesn't discourage me, but he doesn't encourage me either.

So ... I understand where you're coming from!

I like the idea of joining a sports team - if it's something you enjoy and can do with other people, it will help keep you motivated.

I also think that cutting back on soda is a good idea - from all kinds of perspectives. As someone suggested, limiting yourself to one a day and seeing how that goes, might be a good start.

Good luck!

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 04:58 PM   #5  
Staying Focused

S/C/G: 214/190/140

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cephalopod gal View Post
Hello! Welcome to 3FC. This place is amazing and the people here are absolutely supportive.

I know what you mean about studying so much and putting off exercise. That was totally me before the two semesters before this. What I do now is make myself wake up earlier to exercise before class that way I have all of the day AFTER class to get my studying done. I know that doesn't sound like a pleasant thing, and at first it was horrible. I won't lie. Haha. But, now I look forward to waking up and getting myself pumped before school. I've found that I'm happier and more awake on the days that I exercise than on the days I don't. So that's one thing you can do.

Also, how much soda do you drink? If you drink more than one can a day, you might want to try limiting yourself to 1 a day. And then after you're okay with that, try and eliminate it completely. I used to be quite a soda fiend myself, but then gave it up for Lent. I just lost my taste for it. The only soda I'll drink now is root beer, and even that is a very rare occassion. Very very rare occassion. Haha.

I hope these tips help you at least get started. And I'm sure more ladies (and a few gents!) will follow my post with more helpful tips!!
Hey - we are at the same weight and have the same goal weight - its just nice to see someone in the same spot as me, lol.

I am lucky that i have a gym in my building at work and they offer all types of cool classes too. I love that it breaks up my day. I also do an exercise show every night with my son - he is 6 and he looks forward to it and holdS me accountable!

Sorry to hear about your family but they say misery loves company so don't let them hold you back.

MAKE YOUR HATERS YOUR MOTIVATORS!

Last edited by mispris006; 04-07-2008 at 04:58 PM.
mispris006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 05:01 PM   #6  

Hey girlie,
I am a college student as well and I understand the stress level, especially grabbing for food during all night studying for finals. I have joined a softball and volleyball team, which I have made new friends!!! Then my friends and I start having wiffle ball and kick ball tournaments in the summer. My girl friends and I always make fun healthy food for these events! My girl friends and I also started watching Hells Kitchen and Top Chef and making our own healthy food competitions. I hope these ideas help.
motivated120 is offline   Reply With Quote