Old 04-02-2008, 01:19 PM   #1  
Formerly know as Fauxtini

S/C/G: 369.2/ticker/235

Height: 6'1

Default Any Kansas peeps?

Hi. I'm new to this site, but really happy that i've found it. It's so great to have online support.
Especially now, I'm a Canadian, but moving to Kansas THIS WEEKEND with my Fiance. I'm so excited to gp, but a little worried about working out without my friends. I was wondering if anyone in the junction city/manhattan /fort riley area is looking for a workout/cookin buddy to back each other up at the gym, or anything active and healthy together!
Msg me if you are interested in chatting and possibly getting together to create and maintain helathy life styles together!
Thanks a bunch!!
mountain mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 01:30 PM   #2  
Proud Mom of 6

S/C/G: 290/290/160

Height: 5'2"

Fellow Kansan here...born and raised. If you can handle the crazy weather here then you will be fine.

I am about an hour and a half away from you, but wanted to welcome you to both the website and to Kansas.

There is tons of support, motivation and inspiration here.

Good luck on both the move and your weight loss goals!
lovinlifex2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 01:50 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 307/172/153.5 (half of SW)

Height: 5'8''

There's actually quite a few Kansans on here. I'm in the Northeast, about 2 hours from where you'll be. I have a very close friend in Manhatten, but she's not dieting. The weather is insane, but it doesn't get as cold here as it does in Canada. But I think it gets hotter.
HarpoChicoGroucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 02:25 PM   #4  

Yeah, i'm happy for the hotter weather. I'm DONE with winter! Can't wait to get there and start walking around, exploring my new area haha

I'm pretty sure I can handle crazy weather. Canadian weather is pretty crazy itself!!

I'm excited to get to know what Kansas is like!
Old 04-02-2008, 02:50 PM   #5  
Reformed Quitter

S/C/G: 302/267/155

Height: 5' 8"

I lived in Junction City for six years after my father retired there and brought us to the US from Germany. It's a beautiful place to live if you enjoy wide-open spaces and walking long trails (Ft. Riley/Milford Lake) and over rolling hills.

I'm afraid there isn't much to do in terms of cultural activities (In Junction City/Manhattan) and the scene around JC & Ft. Riley (stripper bars, etc.) isn't conducive to healthy relationships/marriages (just MHO!!) but that's what Kansas City and your travel budget is for!!

And if you're tired of winter... Kansas is the perfect place for you! Just ensure you have a good air conditioner because the humidity can be brutal!

To avoid boredom get involved with what is going on at Kansas State University - I know they have exercise and swimming programs and you might even find a nutrition or culinary class to interest you! Basketball and football games are huge there and they have interesting speakers that visit and concerts too. Perhaps your hubby-to-be is in the military? If so enjoy the area while you're there (other places in Kansas are even more beautiful!) and look forward to your next stop...

Of course, you're in love and newly engaged so I'm sure you'll find plenty of ways to entertain yourself no matter where you live!

Last edited by CABunnyGirl; 04-02-2008 at 02:54 PM.
CABunnyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 03:34 PM   #6  

WOW! thanks for the advice! I will definitly be looking into the stuff you mentioned

I won't be working right away ( Wher eIm still a Canadian citizen,) so I hope to find some interesting stuff ( like you listed) to do for myself until huby gets home from work at least!!

Thanks so much for the help!
Old 04-02-2008, 03:35 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 307/172/153.5 (half of SW)

Height: 5'8''

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauxtini View Post
Yeah, i'm happy for the hotter weather. I'm DONE with winter! Can't wait to get there and start walking around, exploring my new area haha

I'm pretty sure I can handle crazy weather. Canadian weather is pretty crazy itself!!

I'm excited to get to know what Kansas is like!

Don't be so happy for the hotter weather! When we get hot, we get humid and hot which is unbearable. We can have streaks of 100F (37.7C) for days at a time. When it's dry, it isn't so bad, but when there's humidity involved, it's brutal. Air conditioning is vital!

I agree about venturing out to Kansas City (after you're done exploring your area). It's a great city. Even the metro area around it has lots to do.

Last edited by HarpoChicoGroucho; 04-02-2008 at 03:36 PM.
HarpoChicoGroucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 04:08 PM   #8  
Reformed Quitter

S/C/G: 302/267/155

Height: 5' 8"

You are so very welcome... I know Kansas, believe me!
CABunnyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 04:37 PM   #9  
Wish It~Dream It~Do It

S/C/G: 230/144.2/146

Height: 5ft3

I am was born and raised in kansas too! moved to texas less than 2 years ago! still have family and friends there so I go back often! welcome!
BlzMaxGnrCCJkMly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 06:53 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 195.5/182.5/130

Height: 5'3"

I spent most of my life in Kansas...in three corners anyway! I grew up in Southwest Kansas, went to college in Southeast Kansas, then worked in Northeast Kansas. It is a great place to live and I'd love to move back. (I moved down to Dallas two years ago too!) Like everyone said, Kansas City is a great place to go visit, and Wichita isn't too far from where you will be either. It's not as big and doesn't have as many nice restaurants as KC, but it has good points too...

Anyway! Welcome and good luck!!!
LiLi Gettin Thin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 07:22 PM   #11  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I don't know anything about Kansas as I've only driven through it from CO to the east coast. BUT I just wanted to say that I hope you get to visit other parts of the US while you are living in Kansas. If you get tired of the flat land, Colorado is a nice place to visit. Colorado Springs, Denver, Boulder and places up in the mountains like Vail are pretty cool. Rocky Mountain National Park is one of my favorite places.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 09:08 PM   #12  
Have you had The Surgery?

S/C/G: 510/225.4/199

Height: 69.09"

Damn, I thought this thread was about those yummy marshmallow PEEPS. I couldn't find any sugar free ones this Easter.

My favorite color used to be the pinks
FresnoBeeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 10:32 AM   #13  
Red Team Member

S/C/G: 289/206.5/140

Height: 5'4"

I'm in Kansas! I'm 1.5 hours from Junction City, my in-laws live there. I live in Newton, which is about 15 miles from Wichita.
Cassie501107 is offline   Reply With Quote