Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-30-2008, 12:53 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

Default What not to do.....

I had to adjust my ticker up a couple of pounds this morning.

Here is some of what I have done to gain weight. I have been eating peanut butter (a trigger food) by the spoonful now and then. I picked off and ate the frosting left behind on the cardboard from a cake someone gave my DH. I also ate a piece or two of the cake. I ate some cookies that the same person gave my DH - they were the cheap store brand filled wafer type thing in chocolate, vanilla and strawberry. Truely awful and 150 calories for four tiny little cookies. I ate a chicken thigh that my DH had left over from his dinner. I could go on.

My point is, that these things have sort of sneaked up on me. I am still eating all my good, healthy food. It is the extra, greasy yucky stuff that I have added to my healthy diet that is adding the pounds. I don't even like most of the stuff, but I guess it is the sugar and fat that sucks me in.

I am not really a binge eater in the classical sense, but eating these things that I don't even really want, just for the sugar or comfort or whatever, feels like bingeing to me. I feel a lack of control.

This friend of my DH is lonesome and is always giving my DH food, I think, in exchange for company. I ask my dh to keep it away from me - like in his truck. Unfortunately, some of it has to be refrigerated, or otherwise makes its way into the house.....not blaming anyone but myself, but I wish this guy would quit giving junk food to my dh!

Last edited by gailr42; 03-30-2008 at 12:56 PM. Reason: spelling
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 01:00 PM   #2  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

I think it's so horrible that these little things all add up to weight gain so easily for some of us.

The beauty is, you stopped it there and are coming here for support. That's really good!
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 01:18 PM   #3  

I didn't mean to imply that I think I have gained weight too easily. Actually, I got away with quite a bit for quite a while. That part is encouraging. It appears that I can eat lots of good food and not gain. It is when I add the empty calories that I have trouble.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:20 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I know I've had my bad habits sneak back up on me from time to time. There does seem to be this sense of "getting away with it" for a while, and then I get whammed with a gain that feels unexpected! But it was just a while in coming.

Identifying these problems is a big help! Good luck!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 08:32 AM   #5  
Crazy runner

S/C/G: 213/131/maintaining

Height: 5'4.5"

Yeah, I know what you mean. Here and there ...adds up!

For me I've learned that I just cannot bake sweets and expect to eat them in moderation (or as a treat) when they're in the house. I love to bake. Unfortunately, that means not doing what I love. Instead, I gotta find other things to fill my time!
Fat Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 10:38 AM   #6  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Pants View Post
For me I've learned that I just cannot bake sweets and expect to eat them in moderation (or as a treat) when they're in the house. I love to bake. Unfortunately, that means not doing what I love. Instead, I gotta find other things to fill my time!
I find it hard to control myself if I bake something. I don't bake that often since I live alone and that means I would eat everything (eventually). The last time I baked, I made a bundt cake and I sliced one half of it, wrapped each slice individually into a wax paper, put them into a tupperware container and froze them. That actually helped me to pull out only a slice at a time (every couple of days) and have it with coffee when the urge for something sweet hit me.
I took the other half to work (I made it for a holiday on which we have to work [skeleton staff]).
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 11:57 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 187.4/147.4/129

It sure can sneak up on you- ugh. BUT, I think the good/important thing is when you realize it.. and change it.

I have that sweets issue here, too. My DH is a fast food manager (not too much of an issue for me, he closes a lot.. and it's a Taco Bell, and I'm not incredibly fond of it).. but he works in a plaza with a Panera Bread and THAT manager always goes over to my DH and gives him leftovers from the day, as their not allowed to sell them the next. AGH I have cookies flowing out of my back door- seriously. Thankfully, cookies freeze well. Before I freeze them, I break them in 1/2 so when I've had a really good day and want to incooperate a treat into my night, I have a 1/2 portion.

But, I have 30 cookies in my freezer
Erika79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 02:13 PM   #8  

My goodness, Erika. I will never complain again about the stuff the guy gives my dh. Panera has got to be really good - even day-old!
Old 04-01-2008, 09:26 AM   #9  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika79 View Post
But, I have 30 cookies in my freezer
Yow! If I had 30 cookies in my freezer today, by tomorrow I would have zero cookies and a mouth full of broken teeth!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 10:02 AM   #10  

My thoughts exaclty!
Old 04-01-2008, 10:06 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

It wouldn't take me til tomorrow.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 01:12 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 187.4/147.4/129

Thankfully, I'm not a huge sweets eater, that's why I can freeze the cookies and I'll be ok. Every once in awhile I enjoy a sweet treat with my afternoon cup of coffee. I'm more of a salty/greasy fan.
Erika79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 01:17 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 235/235/155

Height: 5'6"

((hugs))
singdenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 02:06 PM   #14  
never say never

S/C/G: 215/ticker/165

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
Yow! If I had 30 cookies in my freezer today, by tomorrow I would have zero cookies and a mouth full of broken teeth!
ROTFL!!
polkadotfever is offline   Reply With Quote