Old 03-31-2008, 09:54 AM   #1  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Default This Weeks Healthiest Food - Leeks!

I love leeks but I don't eat them often enough.

Food of the Week . . . Leeks
Did you know that leeks appear to contain many of the same health-protective qualities that enable their cousins, onion and garlic, to reduce the risk of atherosclerosis and heart disease? Leeks, onions and garlic are all members of the Allium family of vegetables, whose therapeutic properties are largely thought to be due to their sulfur-containing compounds. Studies have shown favorable effects on blood lipids in those consuming large quantities of garlic and onions. A high intake of Allium vegetables has also been shown to reduce total cholesterol and LDL or bad cholesterol levels while, at the same time, raising HDL or good cholesterol levels. In addition, Allium vegetables have been shown to lower high blood pressure and reduce the risk of heart attack and stroke. Because leeks have a slightly lower concentration of these sulfur compounds, larger amounts of leeks may need to be eaten to obtain the benefits provided by their Allium family cousins. Fortunately, the mild, sweet taste of leeks makes this easy to do.

http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=26
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:56 AM   #2  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

I LOVE leeks!!!

Red lentils and leeks is a great combination.

Leeks in soups and stews works wonderfully.

I've been known to put leeks, onions, garlic and shallots all in the same dish!
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 10:41 AM   #3  
girl toward svelte

S/C/G: 196/ticker/150

Height: 5'10''

I eat them with baked chicken and yam - yum!
audreymonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 12:30 PM   #4  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Ooooh, SoulBliss, maybe I'll use leek instead of onion when making pink lentil and sausage soup this week! I normally use a yellow onion and green lentils, but that'd be tasty!

I love leek with eggs, personally...especially in a frittata with tons of vegetables. They also are great as a soup base instead of onion...not only in the lentil one I'm going to try, but also in butternut squash and leek soup, one of my fall favorites.

I want to try just leeks as a side dish sometime soon - saw a recipe for braised leeks that sounded tasty.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 01:06 PM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I have only used leeks once in my life, many years ago. Not sure why. Maybe it's all the sand I always hear about and an onion seems less intimiadating.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 01:10 PM   #6  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Robin - the sand is easy to get rid of. Just cut off the bottom of the leek and the green, inedible part, leaving the white edible portion. Slice the remaining portion as you'll use it for your recipe. Then just take the sliced leek and put it in a bowl of water. Separate the layers with your fingers, swish it around, and let it sit for a few minutes. The sand will fall to the bottom, and you can scoop the sand-free leeks off the top (they float).
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:22 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 285/ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulBliss View Post
I've been known to put leeks, onions, garlic and shallots all in the same dish!
Oh, I have too! Nice to meet another leek fan!
Darkblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:36 PM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
Robin - the sand is easy to get rid of. Just cut off the bottom of the leek and the green, inedible part, leaving the white edible portion. Slice the remaining portion as you'll use it for your recipe. Then just take the sliced leek and put it in a bowl of water. Separate the layers with your fingers, swish it around, and let it sit for a few minutes. The sand will fall to the bottom, and you can scoop the sand-free leeks off the top (they float).
Thanks for the info. So now let me ask a dopey question - like I said, I've only used leeks once and it was eons ago and I can't recall - is there THAT much of a difference, taste wise, between leeks and onions?
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:54 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 285/ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

Leeks are milder than onions, I think. I like them much better than onions, actually.
Darkblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 10:03 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

I love leeks! The are really good cut in half, washed, brushed with olive oil, and grilled.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 12:48 PM   #11  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Love 'em here too! In fact, we are using one in our leek/chard stuffed chicken thighs tonight!

Oh, if you make your own stock, use the inedible green tops in your stock. You strain out all those veggies and stuff anyway, so why not use them there?

I, too, have used leeks, onion, shallot and garlic in the same dish. It's wonderful!
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 10:26 AM   #12  
LLV

Do you know I've never purchased a leek? Mostly because I haven't the faintest clue what to do with it.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote