Old 03-31-2008, 02:43 PM   #1  
Taking life by the horns

S/C/G: 302/ticker/215

Height: 6'1"

Default My clothes are too big! How do I take them in??

Hi there ladies---

I have a question... I'm at that good but bad point where I've lost enough weight for my clothes to start looking baggy and awful... but not enough to validly go down a whole size and spend money on new clothes...

We're saving for our first home right now, plus I don't want to spend the money on a new wardrobe when I'm losing great right now and will be at LEAST one more size smaller than I am now...

I have a brand new sewing machine that I have used only once... and I am good with hand sewing.

Because I'm so tall and very busty, it's hard to find clothes that look good on my frame and I'm not willing to throw away the nice pieces I have right now.

Any hints/tips for taking in button up blouses and also dress slacks?

The arms and bust of my blouses are fine-- it's just the width like it's kinda just hanging off me... can I just close up the seam a bit on each side?

Also, with pants--- waist and length are fine... just want them to fit a little closer to the length of my body--- a little less baggy in the belly area and the width of the pants. They kinda look like pajama pants right now! Not falling off my butt, but baggy every where else.

Thanks!!!!! I have so many nice things that a quick fix would make still wearable!

(Or, does anyone know the standard cost of paying someone to take in things in a simple way like this?)

Last edited by BrandNewJen; 03-31-2008 at 02:43 PM.
BrandNewJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 03:16 PM   #2  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Alterations aren't cheap. You could easily buy some really nice clothes at Goodwill for the price of altering one pair of pants.

here is a site that might help you http://www.instructables.com/id/Clothing-Alteration/

Don't forget to check your library for sewing and alteration books.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 03:48 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

The fact that the arms and bust of your blouse fit make an alteration pretty easy. You will just need to take in the side seams. Just taper in from where your sleeve is set in and then straight down! Hope that makes sense! Pants are harder, but you could take little tucks or darts around the waist maybe until they fit well there. That works better than taking in one big tuck, because then you've got a lumpy mess! Then there's always a belt.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 03:56 PM   #4  
Taking life by the horns

My big problem is pants b/c to find a nice fitting pair of TALL pants is sooo hard for cheap!!!

That's good to know that if the bust and arms are okay, the torso shouldn't be a problem. I'll have to give it a try this weekend when I get a chance!
Old 03-31-2008, 04:43 PM   #5  

Do you just want the legs on the pants smaller?
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 05:03 PM   #6  
No description available.

I don't sew clothes except for the occasional Halloween costume but I wanted to say CONGRATS!!! on your fantastic loss so far!! Woot!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 05:21 PM   #7  
Taking life by the horns

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelby897 View Post
Do you just want the legs on the pants smaller?
Yeah, kinda--- I mean, I don't want them to be tapered legs, but I don't want them as "wide" as they are now.

I mean, when my legs and waist were bigger, they fit closer to my legs. Now they're too blousy and need more structure to them.

(And thank you on the congrats!!! It's been surprisingly easy thus far--- thanks to eating fruits and veggies and less processed foods--- and calorie counting on fitday-- it has truly saved me!)
Old 03-31-2008, 05:56 PM   #8  

Height: 5'7"

a hint for taking up clothes is to put them on wrong side out and then pin the seams to fit you. It will give you an idea of how much to take in and where to take them in. It would help to have someone look at your back to see if the seams could be taken in there.
dgramie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 06:24 PM   #9  
Just keep moving ...

S/C/G: 241/238/140

Height: Just short enough (aka 5'4")

Hi! I spent my college years in the drama costume shop, and did LOTS of alterations. Admittedly, we weren't as worried about perfection as fashion folks, but if you are only looking to get you through this phase in your weightloss and not have to buy EVERY size you go through, that might be OK.

Unfortunately, the best alternation technique I have for slacks is to take them in at the back waist and essentially sew a new curve that forms the seat, but you said they weren't fallin off your butt, so I guess that's not helpful. Still, maybe you could have a friend help you pin that seam and see if it helps? In my experience, that alteration always improves the fall of the pant leg because it isn't sagging on the hip.

In theory you could wrip the crotch open about an inch on either side of the inseam, and then re-sew the inseams at a fixed distance from the existing seam, then sew the crotch back together. I've done this a few times for other people, but honestly legs are usually the last place I end up taking someting in. If you try this you'll probaby want to let the hems down first. Also, you can always try it out using a basting stitch on your sewing machine first before deciding to fully commit and sew, and end up cutting the extra seam allowances, if you do cut, make sure to zig zag to keep them from fraying.

Another alteration you could try (I admit I never have) is to put in a seam at the crease line on the front and back leg. I've seen some lovely high-end pants (Ann Taylor for one) that have this kind of detail, where is looks like very fine piping down the leg. To replicate the look for your purposes you would need to first sew the seam, then sew a tiny little pleat into the seam on one side (through the seam allowance on the other side I think) to create the look of the piping. Honestly, this one would take some practice, but if you've got pants that are too big to wear anymore, a sewing machine and time, what do you have to lose?

Good luck, and feel free to pm me if I can help at all.

Last edited by Amarie2pt0; 03-31-2008 at 07:01 PM.
Amarie2pt0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 08:58 PM   #10  

My only suggestion after Me-Amarie (who apparently is an awesome seamstress ) is to have someone else do the pinning for you -- I've sewn a few things for people who pinned themselves and they are usually too short/tight, etc. Also, measure, measure, measure both legs before stitching, nothing looks sillier than two different width legs!!
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote