South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 10:55 AM   #1  
mega0428

S/C/G: 172/168/135

Height: 5'5

Red face Birthday cake every weekend?!

I am starting week 2 of phase 1 today, and am already down 5 pounds. I even passed on shrimp etoufae(spelling?) Saturday night, which is my favorite! What dedication, right? Well, starting this weekend I have a child's birthday party to go to, 4 weekends in a row! We have alot of April birthdays! Sugar is my weakness and I'm already wondering how am I going to get through all these parties. I really want to stick to this, I just know it won't be easy. Any advice?
Old 03-31-2008, 11:08 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Hi, mega, have I officially welcomed you yet? If not, !

Have you tried the Black Bean Brownies recipe that is posted in our Phase 1 desserts in the recipe section? Kara has been working on perfecting them, and they taste pretty much like the real thing. You could make them and take one along to enjoy while everyone else is eating the calorie-laden stuff. That way you won't feel deprived and can enjoy a treat, too!
Old 03-31-2008, 11:13 AM   #3  
mega0428

Hi cottagebythesea!
I think I will try those brownies today, they do sound good!
Thanks for the welcome and advice!
Old 03-31-2008, 11:19 AM   #4  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Mega, you're already doing the right thing by thinking ahead and searching for strategies to avoid the temptations that stand ahead! Good going!

Here are some things to think about:
  • Bring a "treat" that you like with you to eat when they are eating cake. I usually bring either a pudding cup, some sugar-free chocolate, or, if it's a Saturday, some dark chocolate.
  • Have coffee/tea if there is some. It gives you something to hold and sip so that you aren't as tempted to eat.
  • Find out if you can help the parents giving the party--if you're busy, it's harder to eat. Can you help run a game or run the craft table? Just don't offer to help slice and serve the cake!
  • Enlist a friend's help in resisting temptation. If you feel yourself starting to give in, go to them for help.
  • Tell everyone that you're on a diet. The author of the book Freakonomics states that social pressure is the number one reason anyone does (or doesn't do) anything. If you feel that everyone will be thinking, "well, there goes that diet!" if you give in to temptation, it'll help check your actions.
  • Promise yourself a non-food-related reward for staying on plan. A bubble bath, a new book or bottle of lotion, a mani or pedi, or a new piece of clothing.

I've also found that, as I stayed away more and more from the food table, there was a whole world of fun going on at parties that I'd been missing! There is plenty to do that doesn't involve food. Who knew?

Sending you lots of and best wishes for a very successful month, Mega!
Old 03-31-2008, 11:21 AM   #5  
I can do this!

Ooh, that's another good idea, Cottage! Mega, when I'm going to a party, I tend to bring something with me that I can eat and that can stand for a whole meal, if it has to, like 3 bean salad (homemade). That way, even if there's nothing I can eat that the host is serving, I still have something I enjoy. There's nothing like starving because nothing at a party is on your plan. That's awful!
Old 03-31-2008, 11:21 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Hi mega, having to be around cake every weekend will be a challenge, but I am sure you're up to it.
In this situation I would play mind games with myself. Since I knew there would be plenty of cake around this month, I'd promise myself I will have one serving of cake at some point in April. At next weekend's party, I'd tell myself, "not this weekend, but maybe next weekend", and so on. If I could keep that going, towards the end of the month, I might be so proud of my willpower, that I'll decide I don't need to have any after all. If not, at least I can keep it down to maybe just one serving. Also, make sure you stick closely to plan this week, so that there won't be any cravings around to make it harder on you. On the day of the party, make sure you eat enough healthy stuff and get lots of protein so you will feel satisfied.

You will be starting into Ph2 soon, so make sure you add your starches and fruits back slowly and attentively so you won't create cravings.

The brownies are really good! Definitely try those. Kara has really got it all worked out. The last couple of batches I made were perfect.

If you do end up eating cake, try to just have a little tiny bit, and don't get the attitude that you've ruined everything so you might as well pig out. Just get right back on plan, and no permanent harm will be done.

Last edited by Schmoodle; 03-31-2008 at 11:23 AM.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:05 PM   #7  

Cottagebythesea, you state Kara has been perfecting this recipe but when I go to the phase I recipe section there is not an updated brownie recipe just the original one. Do you know where I can find Karas recipe. I would appreciate your help in this matter
Old 03-31-2008, 02:49 PM   #8  
I can do this!

Okay, Beachies--here's the recipe for Kara's Fabulous Beany Brownies! They were hidden in the dailies...no fair!

Hope you enjoy! I haven't made them yet but look forward to it!
Old 03-31-2008, 03:25 PM   #9  

Beachgal, your the best!
Old 03-31-2008, 03:34 PM   #10  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

welcome.

i have a different point of view.

are these all YOUR children?

I eat birthday cake at my birthday.... maybe my husbands... if my kids were little maybe i'd eat theirs.. if i made it or their grandma made it... no storebought cake for me.

if it's good homemade cake by someone i know and love maybe a taste is ok.

there will always be events in your life that offer you food that is not on your plan... sometimes we gotta just say NO....
Old 03-31-2008, 03:43 PM   #11  

Quick question, Karas recipe calls for unsweetened baking chocolate or sugarfree choc chips, would this recipe considered phase I friendly?
Old 03-31-2008, 03:45 PM   #12  
ONEderland here I come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggo44 View Post
Quick question, Karas recipe calls for unsweetened baking chocolate or sugarfree choc chips, would this recipe considered phase I friendly?

i would say no more due to the agave nectar...
Old 03-31-2008, 04:02 PM   #13  
mega0428

One of these parties' is for my son who is turning 4. I may have to have a small slice of his cake, but the others I will definately pass on. The other parties' are for my niece and nephews.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:02 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

You could just use all sugarfree syrup or Splenda instead of the agave nectar. Still, I guess the chocolate wouldn't be okay for PH1, but when I make it I don't put any chocolate or chocolate chips in, I just make it like a regular brownie and it's still very good.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:24 PM   #15  
ONEderland here I come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mega0428 View Post
One of these parties' is for my son who is turning 4. I may have to have a small slice of his cake, but the others I will definately pass on. The other parties' are for my niece and nephews.
see there you go... indulge for your child..but not for the others....

a great compromise that works for me..
Closed Thread