Old 03-29-2008, 07:03 AM   #1  
In Onderland!!!!

S/C/G: 227/227/140

Height: 5'4

Default Sugar, Butter & Subway

I'm doing ww at home and since I don't go to the meetings, I'm missing out on some info so I thought I would ask here.

Yesterday, I bought some white tea and tried to drink it without any sugar at all...yuk! I'm from the south and we love our sweet tea (which I have not had since March 1) So what sugar substitute is best? There were several options at the store but I sometimes hear they can be bad for you in other ways so what are you using?

I've been using ICBINB spray which has worked fine but is there another butter out there that we can use that is good for us? Once again, there were many options and I didn't know which way to go.

Lastly, I love subway and have been thinking about a sub real bad lately. So what is the low down on ordering a turkey sub from them? My points book does not include what you can and cannot put on the sandwich. Normally I would order a foot long turkey on white with extra mayo, american cheese, lettuce, tomato, black olives, oil but no vinegar. So what should I change or do without to make it healthy?
wendymeows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 07:40 AM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I think Splenda is the best, but it's not calorie-free. Very low in calories, though!

Another thing you could try is just slowly cutting down on real sugar. I used to drink sugar in my coffee, but no more--I got used to it, and I don't even like it sweet now.

I think the ICBINB spray is your best bet. I never use anything but real butter myself--I don't like synthetics.

First of all, get a 6-inch sub, not a footlong. No mayo--try some mustard if you like that flavor, or just omit. I'd leave off the cheese as well. The veggies are OK. I'd have oil and vinegar because they don't put on much oil. Salt and pepper, you're good to go.

No chips, needless to say!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 07:55 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 307/172/153.5 (half of SW)

Height: 5'8''

I never liked Splenda, and it's a bit abnormal, due to its popularity. When I sweeten my tea or coffee, I use 2 packets of Sweet N' Low and one packet of Equal. I think it's perfect, for me anyway. I sometimes use a couple of spritzes of the spray on my frozen veggies, but I don't need it, I like the way they taste on their own. I didn't at the beginning; it took me awhile to like the taste of veggies. I don't go to Subway often, but if I do, I get the 6 inch grilled chicken on the honey oat bread with no cheese and some of their sweet onion sauce on it and loads of veggies. I think I looked it up and it was around 400 calories. It's too high for me for a sandwich, so I usually don't go there. If you want to save on calories, get one of their low carb wraps with turkey or chicken with no cheese and one of their lighter sauces. And lots of veggies!
HarpoChicoGroucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 07:57 AM   #4  
Going down, my way!

S/C/G: 287/240.8/180/ 3/19/16

Height: 5' 9"

I love Sweet Tea as well, so I use either Stevia or Splenda. I have found that with the Stevia, my mind isn't in a fog anymore since I've started to use it in place of the Splenda, but the Splenda really tasted great in my sweet tea. Stevia is also good, but I use less of it because it is very sweet.

At Subway- I get the "Mini Subs" from the "Fresh Fit For Kids" menu. You can check here for more information as to what's in them and the calorie amounts:

http://www.subway.com/applications/N...px?id=sandwich

Last edited by Steelslady; 03-29-2008 at 08:00 AM.
Steelslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 08:44 AM   #5  

S/C/G: high285/resrart276/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

I have switched back from artificial sweeteners to regular sugar... I have just cut back. When the studies came out a bit ago that the artificial sweeteners could actually be making us fatter, that did it for me. Hubby drinks soda at work.. I switched him from a can of diet a day to a can of regular... so far he hasn't gained any.

I agree with the ICBINB spray being the best one, though I don't use it, just try to stay away from butter for the most part.

At subway I get a 6' chicken breast with no cheese, all the veggies and honey mustard and lite mayo. I'm not good with dry sandwhiches and I hate mustard... so I accept the fact that I have to eat a few more calories there. Subway is kind of like a staple in my house. It's the cheapest take out for my family, plus hubby's aunt runs the one near our home, so we get discounts.
findingfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 08:55 AM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Watch out for those butter sprays. It says it has zero calories, but that's for one serving. Multiply those servings and those calories will add up. In case you're curious, the entire bottle contains 900 calories and 90 grams of fat!

I use Splenda. I usually have 2 cups of tea a day. It really fills my stomach and I enjoy it thoroughly. I know Splenda is not the best thing in the world, but neither was my being morbidly obese. I tried the plain tea and I could not get it down my throat. So for now, it's Splenda for me.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 03-29-2008 at 08:59 AM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 09:44 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 252/210/145

Height: 5' 4"

I like sweet & low for tea and stuff. It's different than sugar, but like diet pop, you adjust.

I eat real butter, but I do buy it whipped. I don't eat a lot of it, but I'd rather have a little bit of the real stuff than a lot of the fake stuff and honestly, it's all fat and we have to watch how much of any of it we eat. I agree with Robin about the spray - I've seen people "hose down" a baked potato with the stuff and it's just oil running around on the plate. EWWWW!

Subway sandwiches are yummy and they're low fat, but those big buns have too many calories for me. I get a salad there - they have great spinach and they'll pile on the cukes and tomatoes and peppers and onions if you ask them to. With the chicken breast on it and veggies, no cheese it's 140 calories. They have FF Italian or I just have them put some of their sandwich vinegar on it and a tiny bit of oil. It's good.
traci in training is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 09:55 AM   #8  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Does subway do 'skinny' subs? There is a place around here that scoops out some of the breading innards of their subs so that you have the same flavor/texture but just less bread and less calories.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 10:04 AM   #9  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

Subway works well for me, as opposed to the quick grab alternative...mcdonalds or something. I LOVE subway to keep me in line. Just dont forget to get the wheat bread instead of white. But i cant eat a sub wo mayo...luckily my subway offers light mayo...see if yours does...mine also offers light cheese. (sweet onion chicken terriyaki is my fav)

Someone suggested their wraps....BIG YUM. They are low carb too i think.

About sweeteners...i cant stand the after taste of splenda...my goal this week was to try to drink tea wo sugar....i am a southern girl as well. Tea wo sugar is like a hamberger with no beef, ha ha. But i am getting used to it. Hoping if i get used to it...real sweet tea will taste like syrup eventually.

I have seen a lot of people on this site recommend Stevia from health food stores to sub for sugar, but i dont know how it tastes.
Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 10:30 AM   #10  
What's this button do?

S/C/G: 323/282/150

The wheat bread is basically tan white bread. It has very little whole grain in it and its nutritional profile is nearly equivalent to all the other white breads on the menu.

I wish they'd sell a whole grain bread.

Last edited by Luminous; 03-29-2008 at 03:06 PM.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 11:26 AM   #11  
low carbin' it

S/C/G: ~256/153.5/154

Height: 5'6

I use splenda, I like the taste the best and I am not convinced it's harmful. I also read some article that said artificial sweetners keep you fat, but heck it is not the case with me. I think it's the fact that so many people think that cutting out sugar will help them lose weight but the only thing they change is going to a diet soda. That isn't going to help anyone lose weight. You have to change the entire way you look at food.

Being a low carber, I don't do subway. I agree about the bread, even the wheat bread is very high in carb and has barely any fiber. I remember going to one of their places and getting a low carb wrap and finding when I got home that it spiked my blood sugar. I just looked at their website and looked at their menu and couldn't find a low carb wrap, and their wraps have as many if not more carbs than the bread. Panera around here used to be the only place you could find low carb bread. NO longer. I rather enjoy making my own sandwiches at home.
bluex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 11:50 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

I drink a lot of green and white tea. I hated it at first and had to add a lot of sugar (last summer). I just gradually cut back until all I need is a half tsp. Then I switched to locally grown honey and I just add a tiny amount, not even a half tsp. My allergist recommended having a bit of local honey every day because some studies show it can help tame your seasonal allergies.

At Subway, the veggie sub is surprisingly filling. The honey oat bread has 50 calories more than the wheat bread (for a 6") so I get the wheat. I skip the cheese and it doesnt seem to affect it much. I get the fat free honey mustard and as I eat my sub, I leave a lot of chunks of bread uneaten (just tear off a big chunk here and there and leave it). That way I only eat about 3/4 of the bread. They also can make any sub into a salad.
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 11:56 AM   #13  
Meg

Blue, you're right about the Subway wraps. They quietly removed the LC wraps from the menu and substituted regular wraps that have more calories (310) and carbs (51) than their 6" bread. Pretty sneaky.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 12:39 PM   #14  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Hey, just a quick comment about butter. I prefer not to use butter substitutes because of the "plastic" nature of their ingredients. I think the whipped butter is a good idea, too. I was watching Food Network one time and the host took the sticks of butter and whipped it himself. That way he could still keep it in the refrigerator, but it was easier to spread when needed. The reason I mention it is that the sticks of butter are usually a little less than the whipped butter, if you care. And, up to that point, it never occurred to me to whip my own butter. What a concept!
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 01:33 PM   #15  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

Wow, i did not know that about the low carb wraps being replaced by crummy run of the mill wraps...BUMMER.

Their wheat bread is not the greatest i agree, but if you compare the two it still has less sodium, more fiber, and more protien (although a small amount of benifit in any of these categories...) but i am fiber freak, so i will take more fiber anytime i can get it. But a WHOLE wheat would be a great addition.
Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote