Old 02-29-2008, 05:05 PM   #1  
Free-thinker

Height: 5'9"

Default Vitamin Water and Snapple Water

What do you guys think about these two? I was thinking of trying one or the other, just to drink maybe one bottle a day. Any bad ingedients that you know of? Like aspartame or anything?

Also, I'm doing a few projects for a holisitc class about dangeroud or bad-for-you ingredients found in food. Other than MSG and aspartame, can you ladies name any others I could use for my projects? Thanks.

Last edited by BlessedBe; 02-29-2008 at 05:07 PM.
BlessedBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 11:26 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 225/213/150

Height: 5'6

I am very anti-vitamin water. One bottle has 125 calories! And of course they label it so that there are 2.5 servings in a bottle so one serving only has 50 calories, and most people don't bother to check and assume that a serving is a bottle. People at my job drink it as though it were regular water and don't realize that they're drinking 500 calories a day of "water". In a week, that's 3500 calories, or a pound of fat!
nutrition junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 12:57 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I am also opposed. I mean, if you really want to drink more water and ensure you get plenty of vitamins as well, why not pop a good multi-vitamin and drink a bottle of water? No calories and all the vitamins.

If you plan for the calories, they won't probably hurt you any. But they won't help any more than a bottle of water and a multi-v.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 11:07 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 294/160

Height: 5'8"

I have to agree that the bottles of Vitamin Water are not worth it. I drank several bottles thinking that I was doing something good. After I joined 3FC and started looking at the nutrition lables on EVERYTHING I discovered the same thing about calorie content. Whenever I get tired of drinking plain water I either add some lemon or lime juice to it for a little flavoring. This always helps me get in more water.
Chysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 09:42 AM   #5  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedBe View Post
I'm doing a few projects for a holisitc class about dangeroud or bad-for-you ingredients found in food. Other than MSG and aspartame, can you ladies name any others I could use for my projects? Thanks.
Therse are certainly not "healthy" ingredients:

High fructose corn syrup, partially hydrogenated oil, sucralose, saccharin and some preservatives/dyes.

What class is it and where are you taking it?
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 02:23 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedBe View Post
What do you guys think about these two? I was thinking of trying one or the other, just to drink maybe one bottle a day. Any bad ingedients that you know of? Like aspartame or anything?

Also, I'm doing a few projects for a holisitc class about dangeroud or bad-for-you ingredients found in food. Other than MSG and aspartame, can you ladies name any others I could use for my projects? Thanks.
I love Vitamin Water but since I'm currently working for Snapple I was able to sample their new Antioxidant Water. I tried the Acai flavor and it was actually pretty tasty. It has a light fruity flavor that isn't overpowering. I like it, but I just try to be careful not to overindulge.
Boosha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 02:31 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

Height: 5'9

The Today show had an "expert" on one day talking about the "vitamin" waters, etc and basically said no, don't drink your vitamins, take them the traditional way and eat nutritiously because there's some not so good stuff in those drinks, plus calories, plus sugar, etc. How about sparkling water with some juice? Tea. Water. Lots of fruit has lots of water in it too.
horsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 03:45 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I try very hard never to "drink" calories (well, one day I might get over my Starbucks tall skinny mocha addiction). I don't think 125 calorie vitamin water sounds like a very good idea at all! I just drink water (and tons of tea!) and take a good multivitamin.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 04:29 PM   #9  

Yeah I dont like drinking my calories too...but if its between the two I stick with Snapple. I need all the antioxidants I can get! I spent far too much time in the sun as a wee lassie.

Hmm...that reminds me. Red wine has antioxidants too! Woo-hoo hump day!
Boosha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 05:50 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

I just saw an article in Mother Earth News about a study that was done in the UK. It linked certain food additives (dyes in this case) as causing hyperactivity in children. It caused it across the board, not just in children with ADHD. That might be something to look into for your project.

As far as the beverages are concerned, I try to limit my liquid calories to wine and the occasional latte.

Last edited by zenor77; 03-19-2008 at 05:50 PM.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 08:31 PM   #11  

I agree with everyone. I grit my teeth and start to fume when I see these manufacturers tout items as "vitamin enriched" etc. Agreed: EAT your vitamins. Eat whole unprocessed foods, eat the rainbow in terms of veggies. As to beverages, I try to stay with water and teas (regular or herbal/iced or hot- but home brewed without "stuff") I sometimes wonder what a typical junk food eating person might tote up as their artificial vitamin count for the day based on all the added vitamins. I would imagine way over RDA on some and no where near on others, plus absorption of some in dependent on numerous factors so even though added ,they may be just in n' out. Don't get me started on MSG- whole 'nother topic as to the mania against....
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 02:37 AM   #12  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Look at the nutritional content of Vitamin Water. No fat (good or bad), no fiber, and no protein. 13g of carbs and every single gram is sugar. You're basically drinking liquid sugar with some vitamins thrown in. Every calorie I allow myself is precious; it seems crazy to me to waste calories on sugar water (which isn't going to fill me up and is probably going to make me crave more sugar). As Mandalinn said, you'd be much better off with a good multi-vitamin (which would have far more vitamins than Vitamin Water).

The same things applies to Snapple Water. No fat, no fiber and no protein; 12 grams of carbs and every single one is sugar. It's liquefied sugar.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 01:44 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
I am also opposed. I mean, if you really want to drink more water and ensure you get plenty of vitamins as well, why not pop a good multi-vitamin and drink a bottle of water? No calories and all the vitamins.
Signed, me.

I roll my eyes every time I see the ads on TV or see the products in the store. So not worth the money or the calories.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote