Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 03-25-2008, 08:52 PM   #1  
~Don't Postpone Joy~

S/C/G: 241.8/228/199.0

Default I just tried Minute Brown Rice... YUK !

I just tried Minute Ready to Serve Brown Rice for the microwave... it was horrible.. I've only had brown rice in restaraunts and this was not even close.. any quick ideas ?? I need to keep the sodium low... thanks...
Sweetcaroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:01 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 220/ticker!/155

Height: 5'9"

Its not quick, but regular brown rice is GREAT! A little olive oil in it is awesome....and if you stick a garlic clove on top before you close the lid to let it simmer its delicious.

Maybe you could make some over the weekend to heat up during the week?? It does take a while to cook, but throw a spritz of water and a teeny bit of oil on it and zap it for a few seconds and it's wonderful!
artsnsmarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:11 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Do you have a Trader Joe's? They make an awesome microwaveable brown rice - it is DELICIOUS. This is another brand that I like (pricier than TJ's so I buy TJ's).

http://www.worldpantry.com/cgi-bin/n...prrfnbr=591795

It is awesome - moist, plump, a little on the sticky side (which I love). My grocery store carries it in the asian food section.

Honestly, I am so lazy - I hate the time it takes to cook rice and I hate how it trashes the pan - I will never make brown rice from scratch again.

Last edited by Glory87; 03-25-2008 at 09:16 PM.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:20 PM   #4  
I'm a Loser ;)

S/C/G: SCG: 255/see ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

BLAH! if you want "minute" brown rice, get the Uncle Ben's 10 minute brown rice! Excellent flavor with no nasty after taste.

http://www.unclebens.com/rice/fast-n...rown-rice.aspx

Last edited by tamaralynn; 03-25-2008 at 09:23 PM.
tamaralynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:40 PM   #5  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

QUICK & EZ RICE: For regular brown rice, boil 1-1/4 cups water; add 1 cup rice. Cover with lid and turn down to minimum. Then just let sit for about 20-30 minutes while you are preparing your other dishes. I like to use a mix of rices (2/3 cup brown rice + 1/3 cup long grain rice); and add 1 tsp chicken soup base to the water which gives it a nicer flavor.

FOR LONG GRAIN RICE OR ANY OTHER KIND ~ use equal amounts of rice to water; and use same easy method as for above. Brown rice needs just a bit more water becuz of the bran.

I have a rice cooker that makes large quantites and it is very fast too; you put rice in and add water til it covers the rice about one fingernail tip above the rice (about 1/2 inch). Turn on and voila; perfect, fluffy rice to eat for the week.

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 03-25-2008 at 09:46 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:43 PM   #6  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

tamara
I was going to say the same thing lol.

Why does everyone think you need to use a microwave. You let the water boil, put in the rice, turn to low heat and let set for 10 min. No microwave needed.

Last edited by Shy Moment; 03-25-2008 at 09:44 PM.
Shy Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:54 PM   #7  
Don't Take Away My Cheese

S/C/G: 183/see ticker/140

Height: 5'2"

I'm glad I'm not the only one tossing the entire minute brown rice out in the trash. Not good. Opposite of Good. Bad, actually.
FriendlysRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:59 PM   #8  
Avid Reader

S/C/G: 235/229/175

Height: 5'-10"

FYI... Rice freezes great. I always make a double batch and throw half in the freezer so I have it when I don't have time to cook it. Just take it out of the freezer add a little water and heat in the microwave.

Rebecca
RebeccaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 10:08 PM   #9  
~Don't Postpone Joy~

Thank you so much... I be doing the rice experiments this w/e... I have a TJ nearby... I'll check that out too... Thank you again... I love this site.. I posted, watched TBL and wa-lah, my rice problem is solved..
Old 03-25-2008, 10:12 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Bake it. The best brown rice I ever have eaten is baked brown rice.

I posted the recipe in another thread recently. It's yummy stuff.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 12:38 AM   #11  

Thumbs up You need one of these!!

I eat brown rice at least 4 times a week, and would be utterly lost without my Zojirushi 5 1/2 Cup Neuro Fuzzy Rice Cooker and Warmer. I don't have enough posts yet to post a link, but Amazon has it in stock (ASIN number B00007J5U7).

It is pricey, but I've had mine for just 2 months and already consider it worth every single penny. It cooks rice better than any other cooker or method I've tried, and brown rice ROCKS in this cooker!! I buy the organic brown basmati rice from Costco (it comes in a burlap sack), and it cooks up consistently fluffy with separate grains each and every time. It takes about two and a half hours to cook roughly 5 cups of brown rice, but all you have to do is set the machine and walk away. The machine also has a "keep warm" feature that keeps the rice nice and hot for up to 12 hours after cooking - I had heard that the brown rice deteriorates as it sits, but so far have had occasions where the rice was kept warm for about 3 hours, with no noticeable change in texture or taste.

The cost of the cooker isn't even really a factor if you're going to use it multiple times a week - it would cost more to buy the frozen or pre-cooked packages long-term than to make an investment in a quality rice cooker. I highly, highly recommend it!!
Sorcha33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 03:55 AM   #12  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoChick View Post
Bake it. The best brown rice I ever have eaten is baked brown rice.
I agree! I always cook my brown rice in the oven. The stovetop method is a pain in the butt and, as Glory said, it trashes the pan. Cooking it in the oven is so much easier; it comes out perfect every time and never ruins the pan.

I bring the rice and water (or chicken broth, I pretty much always use chicken broth for more flavor) to a boil on the stove, then pour the whole thing into a casserole dish, cover, and bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until the rice is tender. I just stick it in the over and forget about it until it done.

I also usually bake more than I need and then freeze the extra in individual servings.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 01:42 PM   #13  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

Sorch
I eat rice all the time. We have animals and rice at least 3 times a week. I could eat it everyday lol.

Barbara
Never thought to bake it, sounds good am going to try that.

I have never had rice trash a pan. Might be the kind of pan you are using.
Shy Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 02:14 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Here you go ... from the other thread where I posted it yesterday:

My favorite brown rice recipe (courtesy of Alton Brown):

1 1/2 cups brown rice
2 1/2 cups water
1 tablespoon unsalted butter

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Place the rice into an 8-inch square glass baking dish.

Bring the water and butter to just to a boil in a kettle or covered saucepan. Once the water boils, pour it over the rice, stir to combine, and cover the dish tightly with heavy-duty aluminum foil. Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 1 hour.

(I make this recipe once a week and use it as the base for a lot of other stuff. Fresh out of the oven, it can be served warm with fish or chicken and has a great, mild, nutty taste.

Refrigerate what's left, and the next day you can mix it with chopped tomatoes, a little bit of diced red onion, and a can of black beans. Top with some low fat Italian dressing or some plain yogurt and toss for a yummy, filling, and nutritious lunch salad. )
PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 09:54 PM   #15  
~Don't Postpone Joy~

Thank you.............. for all of your valuable advice......