Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-23-2008, 07:32 PM   #1  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Question Increasing Treadmill Exercise - Any Recommended Strategies?

Next weekend, I will have completed my first two months on a treadmill. Currently, I am doing 3.8 or 3.9 mph with 1% incline.
Is there any recommended strategy how to increase the workouts? Should I start increasing speed first, then incline; or incline first, then speed? Or both at the same time?
Or is this one of those 'it's totally individual; everybody is different' things?

TIA
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 12:25 AM   #2  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Or is this one of those 'it's totally individual; everybody is different' things?
Yep, that's the answer .... I for one like to play with all of the options, sometimes bringing the incline up, next workout the speed, next workout do some HIIT... I love variety, I get bored very quickly... Just make it fun

Last edited by Ilene; 03-24-2008 at 12:25 AM.
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 11:42 AM   #3  
I WILL get in a bikini!

S/C/G: 125

Height: 5 foot 4 inches

I've been working out on a tredmill for a while now and after talking with my Personal Trainer, she gave me some tips for it that have been a GOD SEND! Forget jogging... forget running or even speed walking on the thing. I was doing 5 mph sprints on it and wasn't getting anywhere... Now I do 2.5 - 2.8 on an 6% - 8% incline for a 30 min every other day and i come off that thing DRENCHED in sweat and breathless. I wouldn't have believed going that slow would give one such a KILLER cardio session!
Tiffy_Sugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 12:29 PM   #4  
Let's salsa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffy_Sugar View Post
I've been working out on a tredmill for a while now and after talking with my Personal Trainer, she gave me some tips for it that have been a GOD SEND! Forget jogging... forget running or even speed walking on the thing. I was doing 5 mph sprints on it and wasn't getting anywhere... Now I do 2.5 - 2.8 on an 6% - 8% incline for a 30 min every other day and i come off that thing DRENCHED in sweat and breathless. I wouldn't have believed going that slow would give one such a KILLER cardio session!

Thanks for the tip, Sugar. I googled some articles last night and they stressed the importance of using incline. So I started playing with it more at my last night's workout.
I had to laugh though - I went as far as 9% (just to test what it feels like) and I thought I may fall off! Hahaha. I did not dare to go to 10% since the treadmill is in my rec room in the basement and the ceiling is now that high (I am 5'9" myself). I think I will try to vary my routine, I still want to improve enough so that I CAN jog (regardless whether I will be or not), but I will be definitely using the incline more.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:45 PM   #5  
No surrender, no retreat

S/C/G: 170/148! :D /134

Height: Vertically comfy 5'2"; horizontally challenged

Hey TS -- thanks for this tip. I will be checking it out and adding it to my repertoire. I can do a 7% incline at 4.8 - - - but only for short interval bouts. Never thought about trying it so low for a longer duration. I'm always looking to change things up. Thanks again!
Hat Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 03:42 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 164.3/see ticker/118

Height: 5'3"

My trainer devised an incline interval training for me.

Speed 3.5-3.8 (depending on my mood) The first five mins you walk at an incline of 2%. At minute 5 you increase the incline to 5%. Every minute after that you increase the incline by 1% until you hit the 8% mark. Drop it back down to 5% for a minutes recovery than repeat until you hit the 8% mark again. Do that 4 times. On the final "peak" go for an extra minute and push it to 9%. Then cool down. It doesn't sound that hard, but man it's a butt killer. My heart rate is way up there and I'm covered in sweat! I love it.

As you get better, keep the speed the same but increase the incline. Instead of starting at 5% I now do 8%, 9%, 10%, 11%. I definitely notice a difference in my butt....
shantroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 03:53 PM   #7  
Let's salsa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantroy View Post
As you get better, keep the speed the same but increase the incline. Instead of starting at 5% I now do 8%, 9%, 10%, 11%.

Hahaha, ask me next year if I am at 11% yet!

Seriously though, thanks for your reply.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:52 PM   #8  
No surrender, no retreat

Shantroy -- thank YOU also for sharing this. I had done my own abstract version of this once a few wks back then forgot about it. Seems I had cranked the thing up every minute or 2 an incline level till I got to 8% or 9%; oooo, my butt was a tingling when I was done. I love having all these different workouts for the TM. Thanks!!!
Old 03-25-2008, 05:07 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 220/ticker!/155

When you all are listing the incline %, is that the number on the treadmill?? For example, the first time I push the /\ button it goes to .5......does that mean .5%??? If so, I feel like I'd fall off at anything above 4%!!!

I'd be glad to add more incline, I feel like I need a little butt kickin right now!
artsnsmarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 07:38 PM   #10  
I WILL get in a bikini!

S/C/G: 125

Height: 5 foot 4 inches

lol.. you guys are lucky you got tredmills that have a % and an incline button! Mine I did the math with and came up with a "jimmy-rigged" system. My hubby and I built a little platform that is raised in the front of boards by about 4 inches. Mines a manual incline (you flip a braket on the back of the machine and you can have flat, low, and lowest...about a 3 - 4 inch difference) so I have it on the lowest braket with the front of the machine on boards. lol... so, by my calculations, its about a 6% - 8% incline. haha... More than enough for me though. So I can't varry the incline when I want, but I can varry my speed. I'm hopping to get an elliptical soon (next few months) so i can do the tredmill first to warm up then hit the elliptical to really pump my legs.

But yes, the incline makes ALL the difference in the world!
Tiffy_Sugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 07:52 PM   #11  
Let's salsa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsnsmarts View Post
When you all are listing the incline %, is that the number on the treadmill?? For example, the first time I push the /\ button it goes to .5......does that mean .5%??? If so, I feel like I'd fall off at anything above 4%!!!

I'd be glad to add more incline, I feel like I need a little butt kickin right now!
Hi artsnsmarts,
Do you have a manual for your treadmill? Mine does not increase the incline by half a percent, always by 1%. I guess each machine is different. But I guess it must be the incline since there are buttons only for incline and speed, so if it's not the speed it must be the incline.

I tried today as suggested and it was good. I was doing 3.5 mph at 3% and in one minute intervals, I went to 4, 5, 6, and 7% (that was enough for a start).
I did three reps.

Now I am ready to sit back, relax and watch The Biggest Loser (go, Kelly, go!!!).
Old 03-25-2008, 08:59 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 220/ticker!/155

Well, it's not my treadmill since I go to a gym, but I suppose it doesn't really matter since I can feel a good workout!!

I upped the incline today -- did 4.0 speed at 3.5 incline for 30 mins...and that felt like SUCH a better workout!! Not that I wasn't working before, but that definitely felt like a more productive 30 mins.

Thanks, ladies!
artsnsmarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 11:26 PM   #13  
No surrender, no retreat

The incline on my old TM broke waaay long ago and I didn't think it was such a big deal. Then the whole machine died and I got a new one. What was I thinking?? The incline is great! Sun. I did my normal speed intervals, today I just ran (mostly) and tomorrow I'm going to try one of the incline w/outs. My machine also goes up and down by 1%. I think it goes up to an incline of 12% or 14%. Haven't ever gotten past 9% -- and THAT was brief.