General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2001, 10:27 AM   #1  

I have been trying to lose weight consistenly for 8 weeks and all I've lost is 5 pounds. I've tried Richard Simmons for 5 weeks and lost 3 pounds and tried 123 for 3 weeks and lost 5 pounds. I'm going to stick with 123 and see if I have any results. However, I saw this diet on another board and the people there have had great success with it so I plan on giving it a try for a week starting next week to see if I have any success. I'm worried about being hungry but I'm willing to try and see what happens. Anyone else interested.

"Get Started Diet"
***Important - Drink at least 64 ounces a day of water, decaffeinated iced tea, Diet soft drinks or decaffeinated coffee.

***AVOID caffein as it can stimulate hunger.

BREAKFAST

One serving of cereal with 4 ounces skim milk
8 ounce glass of orange juice
8 ounce drink (water, tea, diet soda or coffee

NOTE - Cereal should be fat free or less than 2grams of fat per serving and should be low in simple sugars. It should also contain no more than 120 calories per serving. Healthy Choice Cereal, Cream of Wheat, Crispix and Special K meet this criteria.

SNACK (9:00 AM to 10:00 AM)

1 Apple or Orange
8 ounce drink (water, diet soda, tea or coffee)

NOTE - SNACK - Important not to substitute any other fruit, Apples and oranges have high fiber contents that help the fructose to be released into your system slowly, thus helping to prevent insulin surges and help to control hinger.

LUNCH

Frozen Dinner

NOTE - Frozen dinner should have 350 calories or less and no more than 9 grams of fat. Most Healthy Choice or Lean Cuisine meals meet this criteria.

SNACK (3:00 PM - 4:00PM)

1 Apple or Orange

DINNER

Frozen Dinner (see lunch note above)
Salad

NOTE: Salad can have unlimited lettuce, 1 cup chopped fresh vegetables and fat free salad dressing or flavored vinegar.

SNACK

1 Banana
8 ounces skim milk

NOTE: Banana and skim milk can be blended together with ice to make a smoothie.
Old 03-07-2001, 10:57 AM   #2  

Default getting started

Do you know how many calories are in this diet? I was just wondering if i would get hungry.
Old 03-07-2001, 11:26 AM   #3  
Cowboy Up Chick

This sounds too restrictive and too much like a diet. I'd never be able to stick with it. However it might be good to get back in the swing of things for a day or two.

Just for grins and giggles - Lucky Charms meets the cereal critera too! LOL!

And it works out to approximately 24 W/W points!
Old 03-07-2001, 12:00 PM   #4  
Wolfangel

May I add in my 2 cents??? It might take MORE than a week to see any changes. Especially if you have been "dieting" off and on for awhile, your metabolism may be screwed up!

Plus, have you measured yourself?? Inches may dissapear before pounds do.

You seem to have the right idea, just need to tweak it with everyone's suggestions.

Good Luck!

Old 03-07-2001, 02:38 PM   #5  

This is very much a diet. Some of us need that. I definitely need it right now. How can you be sure how many WW points this would equal out to. I see it equaling way less. I eat frozen dinners for lunch and none of them exceed 6 points with the majority being 4 points. So if I eat the same for dinner I could see 12 points at the most for lunch and dinner, about 2-4 points for cereal (instant cream of wheat is only 2 points but if you eat cereal with milk you might get around 4 points) So that would be 16 points then about 4 more points for fruit. That makes 20 points.
I'm not sure how many calories this is but I guess it would depend on what types of frozen foods you eat. I'm worried about getting hungry too which is my apprehension. I have seen Lean Cuisine dinners which come in larger portions and I believe they will still meet the requirements here so I plan to buy those for dinner. The people on the board I got this from were losing within the first week. One lost 8 pounds in a week and a half and there were others who lost more or less. I believe the lowest I found was 4 pounds in a week. I know many of you will say that its only water or whatever but at this time if the scale moves I don't care what it is. I'm motivated to do this right now but I'm not sure how long I will be able to do it. At least a week but I'm not sure about more. But if it jumpstarts me then that's fine. I plan to continue WW so I don't see myself gaining back anything that I might lose.
Old 03-07-2001, 03:01 PM   #6  
I WILL get to my goal!

Default Choices??

I know there is probably more to this diet than what you gave us right? I mean I couldn't stand being on a diet that didn't had much to choose from. I am one of those people that NEEDS variety or I will go crazy!! Those types of diets usually works for me for about two weeks, then after that I am craving variety and I get off the diet.

So, I guess what I am basically asking is, is there more to this diet than what you posted? Like is there a book or a website that gives us substitutions for some of the things you named?

Sorry to be such a butthead today. I am just tired and can't seem to get things out right.
Old 03-07-2001, 03:24 PM   #7  

Sorry, what I posted is all that I have. I agree that after two weeks I will go crazy on this-and I may not even make it two weeks. But if it jump starts my weight loss it will be worth it.
Old 03-07-2001, 03:29 PM   #8  
Cowboy Up Chick

Well let's look at it:

BREAKFAST: 5 points

1 serving of cereal (usually around 1 cup and no more than 120 cal w/no more than 2 grams of fat) = 2 points
4 ounces of skim milk = 1 point
8 ounces of oj = 2 points
8 ounces of water, tea, coffee or diet soda = 0 points

SNACK: 1 (2) points

1 apple or orange = 1 point (possibly 2 if it is large)

LUNCH: 7 points

Frozen Dinner (no more than 350 cal/9 grams of fat) = without any fiber that's 7 points so I used an average of 6 points [most are 5 - 6 points]
Salad w/ fat-free salad dress = 1 point

SNACK: 1 (2) points

1 apple or orange = 1 point (possibly 2 if it is large)

DINNER: 7 points

Frozen Dinner (no more than 350 cal/9 grams of fat) = without any fiber that's 7 points so I used an average of 6 points [most are 5 - 6 points]
Salad w/ fat-free salad dress = 1 point

SNACK: 4 (5) points

1 banana = 2 points (possibly 3 if it is large)
8 ounces skim milk = 2 points

Totals up to: 25 points - 28 points

I also see it lacking in some fat (which can cause you not to lose) as well as probably not enough protien.
Old 03-07-2001, 04:19 PM   #9  

I get around 22 points and it will probably be less. My frozen dinners are usually 4 points. Healthy Choice dinners have a larger number of fiber at least 5 grams. Also salads and salad dressing is not included on this plan. It is suggested however, that if you need more then you could add some veggies to the dinners which would be free. My fruits are 1 point with the exception of bananas which are 2. So again, I come out to a low number of points but it still in my point range so all you WWers should be happy with this. I can't see why there's a problem.
Anyway I'm planning to do this and posted in case someone else is interested. If not, that's fine.
Old 03-07-2001, 04:32 PM   #10  
Cowboy Up Chick

While salad dressings (which is all I counted) isn't included in this particular plan they are on W/W so the points must be added in. I only allocated 1 point however depending on how much you use it could be 2 points.

Fiber now has been capped at 4 grams of fiber thus most of the meals are 5 - 6 points. Even taking off 1 point each that takes it to 23 and taking off 2 would take it to 21 points.

Where is the fat that your body needs with this program?

Jumping around on something like this fad is going to mess up your metabolism (which may already be messed up depending on how many fad diets like this you've tried and how long you were on them).

We all want the quick solution but eating a sensibly balanced diet to get proper nutrition is the only way to go.

Kel

Ps - Even going down to 320 cal/9 fat/5 fiber that's still 6.15 points and 280 cal/6 fat/5 fiber is still 5.9 points. To be 4 points it would have to have be less than 250 calories a meal.
Old 03-07-2001, 07:42 PM   #11  

They are 4-5 points. I know how to count points. Also the Lean Cuisine boxes have points on them. I didn't count salad dressing because salads and salad dressing are not even mentioned on this diet.
Old 03-07-2001, 07:44 PM   #12  

I'm looking for people who would like to try this diet with me. If no one is interested its not necessary to keep this thread going.
Old 03-07-2001, 09:55 PM   #13  
Nancy

Smile good for plateaus

Hi prettynpink:

I just started my diet 4 weeks ago, so I am not presently interested in trying this diet with you. However, I'd be interested in hearing how it goes. I think this diet would be great to jump start or for plateaus. It's meant for short term, and I think that's how you see it too.

Best of luck,

Nancy

Old 03-08-2001, 11:35 PM   #14  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Basically, it's a low-calorie restricted diet.

The calories add up to somewhere around 1200.

I know I've gone on and on about losing weight slowly, by just figuring out how many calories you would need to maintain your weight, then cutting about 300 a day out of your diet - while getting in more exercise. I'm going to say it again here!

Personally speaking, I could not stay on this diet for more than a couple of days. You are right on about how eating such a low-calorie diet can really play havoc with your metabolism -- also, don't forget about your sodium levels - those frozen meals pack a big sodium punch which isn't really good for you!

Here's what I would do with 1200 calories: I'd add at least another 200 calories so I would feel satisfied (actually 1,600 would be better) and have a 400-calorie breakfast, 500 calories each at breakfast and lunch, and 200 calories in snacks. Much easier to do and you are far more likely to stay on track and keep your weight off!

MrsJim
265/156/145

Last edited by MrsJim; 03-08-2001 at 11:37 PM.
Old 03-09-2001, 09:00 AM   #15  

I'm sorry, I guess I didn't say it correctly. I posted this to see if others were interested in joining me-not to keep hearing people put it down. Please leave it alone.
Closed Thread