Old 03-24-2008, 11:45 PM   #1  

Height: 5'5"

Default Sometimes People Disgust Me

I walked for several miles, then husband wanted to go to a nearby town shopping. We walked for several more miles. We parked in a garage and were on the 4th floor. By the time we returned to the garage we were both tired and ready to go home. All these people were coming down the stairs, and we pushed the elevator button to ride up. A group of young men came down, stopped by us, one said "the stairs are right there!" in a nasty tone. We just looked at them, but I was thinking what is with this younger generation, they think they can just say anything to anybody. My husband is 62, and I'm fat, these boys had no idea if we were disabled, recovering from surgery etc. How dare they make a remark like that. I know I've heard lots worse, but just needed to vent. Thanks for listening LOL. I guess I got mad cause I'd already done a lot of exercise that day, and all they saw was the fat lady.

Last edited by PaulaM; 03-24-2008 at 11:45 PM.
PaulaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 12:05 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 307/172/153.5 (half of SW)

Height: 5'8''

Sorry Paula. Don't let a group of idiotic teenagers take away from your great accomplishments of the day. You should be proud.

I got a couple of "looks" when my mom and I would pull into the handicapped stalls when I was recovering from my surgery, UNTIL they saw my walker or crutches. They saw two young, healthy looking women so I'm sure they thought we were abusing the tag (which I still have by the way and haven't used since I ditched my crutches). It kind of put things in a different perspecitve when you actually have the roles reversed. I used to wonder about people who took escalators, elevators, etc. when they LOOKED capable of using stairs, but I don't anymore. I still can't do many stairs, so I'm still riding elevators. No one has said anything rude to me, but after what I've been through, I'm sure I'd have something to say back.
HarpoChicoGroucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 12:29 AM   #3  
Vegan from Planet Vega

Height: 5' 10"

Sometimes, I wish I could apologize for my generation. I really do. The biggest majority of "kids" my age are insensitive and feel as though they can say whatever they want, almost like verbal diahrrea. It's disgusting in all honesty. I know, when I was in high school, I got alot of fat jokes because of my obvious weight. I took the stairs just like they did, but because I was a bigger girl, they felt the need to poke fun. When I was in the lunch line, they would make fun of me if I got the most healthy thing on the menu, or the most fattening thing. It was the fat that I was the "fat girl" and I was eating. Fat girls get hungry too ya know?

I'm sorry it happened. I really am. People really can be insensitive, and you're right...they don't know exactly WHY you were taking the elevator. They just see things and as I said before...verbal diahrrea seems to just come out.

THE Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 02:11 AM   #4  
Angelina/Gerard is Love

S/C/G: 291.8/286.8/199

Height: 5'4 1/2

I agree with what Heather said. I think this is why I hang out with mostly older people. Folks my age make me wanna strangle them!
JasonsLea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 02:34 AM   #5  
gonna win the thin!

S/C/G: 270/see ticker/160

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

people can be so rude. not just the young ones. sorry that happen, i bet they are the kind of kids that thing they have all the answers. they'll learn.
math puppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 03:05 AM   #6  
~Believe~

S/C/G: XXX/-155/140

Height: 5'3

Cool

This has happened to my mil and my DH.

My mil is disabled, but you can't tell unless you see her up close, she wears a brace on her leg, but you can't see it from far away, as its under her clothes, but you can tell if you get close. Anyways. I took her to the grocery store one day, we were in the checkout, when an older couple (maybe in their mid 50's early 60's) came up to my mil asking her if she was through with her motorized shopping cart. The man did have a broken leg, but he just assumed that my mil did not need that cart. She did get up, even though she cannot walk very far at all. When he saw her get up, then he saw her leg brace, etc. Then they said "nevermind" and walked away, you could tell they were embarrassed, my mil even told them that they could have it, that he needed it. But finally a manager found another cart for him to use.

After my DH had his gallbladder removed, he used one to stop and get his medicine. He wanted to go in to get a few things because it would be a while before he would get out again. I told him he could, as long as he got one of those motorized carts. So he did. Boy did we get the dirty looks. Mostly from older people thinking he was using it just because he didn't want to walk.

I have a bad back and there have been several times where I could have used one, but I NEVER will because of how people are. If you have a bad back, there is no way that someone would know that by looking at you, unless you were wearing a huge back brace OUTSIDE your clothing. Fact is, there are all differint kinds of disabilities, injuries, etc. Some you can blantly see (a broken leg, etc) and some you can't. That doesn't mean that the person is not in need of that service. I admit some people do abuse this and that is wrong and makes it really bad for those who do need it. But all in all, I do not see why people can't have more compassion.

Anywho, off of my now. So sorry that you had to have that happen.

Sassy_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 07:34 AM   #7  
Made of Starstuff

People like that are simply a reminder to the rest of the open-minded, kind-hearted and closed-mouthed world that there's a reason we're all open-minded, kind-hearted & closed-mouthed. We simply do not know what a person is going through just by looking at them.

Yes, they were stupid young boys, and it's a shame they haven't learned the greatest lesson yet to be taught "MYOB!". I can't say it's just my generation, though, because there are plenty of middle-aged, and older people who are just as inconsiderate & vocal about what they think. Maybe it's genetic

I sometimes feel annoyed that the decent people have to learn all the lessons from what others do to them, while the ones doing the "doing" never learn, continue to say mean things, continue to be selfish & self-centered, and continue to be useless bits of flesh on earth. But, such is life, right?

Either way, they were a bunch of rude, strange, young boys. No one cares what they think, because I'm sure it's usually of little substance.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 08:26 AM   #8  
Kerry ~ TBL Red Team!

S/C/G: 236/194.6/135

Height: 5'4"

Ack.....

I'm sooo sorry this happened to you. I have two young boys and I really do fear for their generation. *sigh*
MamaToTomAndAlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 08:50 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 288/ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

Heather - don't think it's just your generation. Things were exactly like that when I was in high school, too. I believe that teenagers can be obnoxious in general, but also that they have less restraint about saying what they're thinking. People my age have just learned to keep it to themselves and then make fun of the person later.
LisaF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 08:59 AM   #10  
Vegan from Planet Vega

Height: 5' 10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaF View Post
Heather - don't think it's just your generation. Things were exactly like that when I was in high school, too. I believe that teenagers can be obnoxious in general, but also that they have less restraint about saying what they're thinking. People my age have just learned to keep it to themselves and then make fun of the person later.
I know that teenagers throughout all generations were and probably will always obnoxious. It just seems that this generation isn't learning to keep things to themselves. They just come out and say it. I even notice it in the old people of my generation. Grant it, I'm only 20, but even I know that some comments you just need to keep to yourself.
THE Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:03 AM   #11  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:07 AM   #12  
agility-nut

S/C/G: 258/see ticker/170

Height: 5'9

At least it was strangers that said that.. MY own DH said something to me once and I will NEVER forget it. He dropped me off at the supermarket and he went and waited in the truck. When I came out, he was like really far away. When I got there with 3 bags of groceries, I said why didnt you park on the next street over? (sarcarism). He said "why, are you afraid of a little exercise? I dont think I spoke to him for a week after that remark!
Janis427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:08 AM   #13  

S/C/G: high285/resrart276/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

I'm sorry you had to deal with that! My husband and I talk all the time how rude people are these days. Honestly it doesn't just seem to be the younger generation either. No one says please or thank you. No one says excuse me or bless you. Then if you say bless you to some one who has just sneezed you tend to get dirty looks! Society has become very rude and I'm afraid it will only get worse.
findingfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:10 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 225/221/120

Height: 5'4"

I am sorry that this happened to you. I can't stand when people do this! Around here, it all ages (some as young as 7 or 8 and then as old as in their 80's). I am hoping that my son will learn and will remember all the values that I am teaching him and will never do something to hurt another person or to assume things about another person. You are a wonderful person!
scoobie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:25 AM   #15  
On Day at a Time

S/C/G: 293/293/165

Height: 6'

I'm so sorry! You're too good of a person to let this bother you. Remember...They Don't Matter!!!!!!

I too have noticed that people, in general, are rude. When I say please and thank you to waitresses, they are usually surprised.
sarahdafiregal is offline   Reply With Quote