Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Old 03-23-2008, 12:40 PM   #1  
I AM healthy!

S/C/G: 270/196.2/135

Height: 5'4

Default Gold Standard Protein Shakes

Okay so I am not one to get involved with "diet pills". I don't think they are safe. I just take vitamins. When I am on plan I usually try to follow a calorie counting whole foods way of eating + exercise.

On the radio this morning I heard a radio advertisement for Gold Standard Protein Shakes by Dr. Wheeler that sounded pretty good. Of course they touted the weight loss aspect of it and from my own experience all it amounts to is cals in, cals out. That is basically what any plan helps you achieve. What I liked hearing is that people are reporting having alot more energy and even looking younger.

Anyhow I want to know has anyone else tried this?

Quote:
Gold Standard Protein is a unique shake mix packed with essential vitamins and minerals that can help support healthy weight loss. When used in place of a daily meal, Gold Standard Protein provides essential nutrients and protein your body needs. Simply mix 2 scoops of Gold Standard Protein with 8 fl. oz. of water. Gold Standard Protein tastes great, too! Most people that use the Gold Standard Protein program, continue taking their shakes after they achieve their goals. It helps to maintain your desired weight, and gives you more energy.

Each can of Gold Standard Protein contains 16 oz of supplement shake mix. You can make delicious shakes or refrigerate it and eat it as a pudding. And if you're into desserts, you can make a cake or brownies with it.

About Dr. Bill Wheeler:

Dr. William E. Wheeler, Ph.D., RD has more than 27 years of experience in the nutritional industry and has served as senior author of more than 260 scientific publications. Dr. Wheeler holds BS and MS degrees in nutrition from the University of Georgia and a Ph.D. with honors in nutrition from Purdue University and is a Registered Dietitian with the American Dietetic Association. His work has been recognized with three Presidential Awards for Excellence in Research. He also was awarded a Distinguished Professorship in Nutrition at Capital University of Integrative Medicine.

Dr. Wheeler served as Staff Nutritionist to the President of the United States from 1976 to 1981 and as Staff Nutritionist to the 1996 US Olympic Decathlon Team. Noted for his innovative approach to nutrition, Dr. Wheeler is a much sought-after speaker who explains complex scientific concepts in understandable terms. He is recognized for his broad knowledge of nutrition, as well as his ability to focus on specific nutritional issues.

Professional athletes turn to Dr. Wheeler for advice on dietary supplements. His clients include the Green Bay Packers, the Denver Broncos, the Denver Nuggets, the Seattle Seahawks, the Los Angeles Dodgers, the Washington Wizards, the Tampa Bay Lightning and the US Air Force Academy Football Team. He also advises many governmental agencies.

Ingredients:

Protein Blend (calcium caseinate, milk protein concentrate, egg albumin, hydrolyzed soy protein, whey protein isolate, hydrolyzed whey protein, glutamine peptide), high oleic sunflower oil, cocoa powder (in chocolate only), vitamin and mineral blend (tricalcium phosphate, potassium citrate, magnesium oxide, choline bitartrate, potassium chloride, dipotassium phosphate, ascorbic acid, d-alpha tocopheryl acetate, niacin, zinc oxide, vitamin A palmitate, d-calcium pantothenate, calcium carbonate, copper sulfate, manganese sulfate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin, thiamin hydrochloride, chromium nicotinate, vitamin D3, folic acid, sodium molybdate, biotin, sodium selenite, potassium iodide, cyanocobalamin), natural and artificial flavors, acesulfame K, mono & diglycerides, soy lecichin, polydextrose, guar gum, and beta carotene for color.
Jasmine31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 02:46 PM   #2  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

Okay, my opinion (and just that). I'd avoid this specific one. The only reason I say this is because there is just no nutritional info, just loads of hype. I also don't like the idea of any product that makes you buy 3 containers of it (ie. you can't buy just one, why - if it's so wonderful).

I do use protein shakes to supplement my diet. I've personally found that a quick shake before I go to bed seems to keep me out of the kitchen at night. I used to just lay in bed being hungry until I got up and ate something. I also schedule in a snack after dinner, so it could be the combination of the two. I wouldn't say that adding protein shakes has made my weight loss easier, but perhaps the higher protein levels have kept me from being hungry.

Most protein shakes run from 90 - 130 calories when made with water. They'll provide somewhere from 15 - 25 grams of protein. They have various levels of carbs and fat. Ideally you're looking for something with low (1-3) carbs and low (.1-2) fat. Some people make them with milk, and some add fruit. I just take them plain.

Flavours vary, some people love certain kinds, others hate them. Some stores will have sample packs that you can try (more expensive, but better than buying a flavour you hate). I'm weird in that I really don't like the chocolate ones, and vanilla is too milky for my tastes (don't drink milk). I usually end up mixing a fruit one with chocolate. I bought PVL's Gourmet Whey last week and it turned out better than I thought (I bought fuzzy navel), although still a touch sweet for my tastes. I've also bought Webber's Chocolate from Costco (again, not bad, but I like it mixed with a fruit flavour better). At the moment I usually mix it with Precision's Iso-Pro Coolers (Mango Peach right now), which I bought once and couldn't use on its own. However, everyone has their own tastes.

However, replacing a meal with a 90 - 120 cal shake is probably not a good idea unless you are mixing it with say milk and fruit. I know a couple of people who do this, most using a mixer in the morning to blend a breakfast. I've also found that the colder the shake the better the taste (although I usually just use ice cold water, I can't be bothered with the mixer.

Hope some of that helps.

Last edited by RealCdn; 03-23-2008 at 02:48 PM.
RealCdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 10:49 AM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I would agree that is a lot of hype. I buy protein shakes (currently hemp) and have bought many in the past. I think going over the ingredients and the nutritional information is most important. I think you'd also have to see how protein shakes would fit into your lifestyle. I drink smoothies every morning so I like adding protein to those.

Are you looking for a snack? Something to add to smoothies? Something to act as a meal replacement?
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 05:32 PM   #4  

I think it is way to hyped. And if you look at the ingredients nothing special it does have several forms of protein which may help you keep full but you most likely would be able to find something similar at say gnc or a vitamin shoppe for much less money.
I drink a protein shake everyday to help get some protein and have never found one to really work better than the other I like BSN lean dessert alot!
2muchbackend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 11:44 PM   #5  
I AM healthy!

S/C/G: 270/196.2/135

Height: 5'4

Thanx for posting ladies. Sorry i didn't get back in this thread. The kids had two weeks off and I was busy with them and we bought a van and on and on...lol

I mainly try to stick to a whole foods diet but lately I have been having a hard time staying focused. I am on an anti anxiety pill and I swear it has been making me overeat!

And we are talking not just being hungry but mindlessly eating! Then you start eating bad food and then you start feeling bad and no energy etc. I was mainly liking the super energy part of it. I also liked how it is packed full of vitamins. I do already take a multivitamin.

I used to do a fruit smoothie every morning and have gotten off that kick and onto a kefir kick. I need to start putting some fruit back into it.
Jasmine31 is offline   Reply With Quote