General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:14 PM   #1  
future USMC wife!!!

S/C/G: 155/153/140

Height: 5'7"

Default How bad is Sushi????

I get a regular California roll...all that is has is sticky rice, real crabmeat(not salty imitation), avacado, and seaweed. I'm trying so hard to get to 140 by the end of May, but I've craving sushi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I try to only get one roll a week, they are $8 bucks a pop, so it would get too expensize other wise. Do you think I should eat it for lunch before my workout, or for dinner imideatly after my workout???
aTrendyTotsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 09:37 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

A california roll like you describe shouldn't be that bad, especially if they are using real crab. Some sushi places use a crab salad kind of thing with a creamy sauce that can really boost the calorie count. I actually love plain old imitation crab and eat it a lot - I never found it to be too salty! I love it in a spicy tomato pasta sauce. Avocados are high in fat/calories but they are good for you! 1 california roll a week shouldn't derail your progress, figure the calories into your day and enjoy!

If there is a Whole Foods around you - they offer California Rolls made with brown rice, just to make it a tiny bit healthier

I would be wary of spider rolls (fried crab), scallop sushi (usually made with a creamy sauce), unagi/eel (made with a sweet sauce) since they tend to be more high calorie options.

Here's a little calorie breakdown I found online:

Avocado roll: 246 calories, 11g fat, 33g carbs

Spicy tuna roll: 290 calories, 11g fat, 26g carbs

Shrimp tempura roll: 544 calories, 13g fat, 75g carbs

Philadelphia roll (salmon, cream cheese, avocado): 319 calories, 5g fat, 30g carbs

Spider roll (fried soft-shell crab): 317 calories, 12g fat, 38g carbs

California roll: 266 calories, 8.5g fat, 36g carbs

Cucumber roll: 136 calories, 0g fat, 30g carbs

Eel and avocado roll: 372 calories, 17.5g fat, 31g carbs

Tuna nigiri (2 pieces over rice): 240 calories, 1g fat, 27g carbs

Salmon sashimi (2 pieces, no rice): 164 calories, 6g fat, 0g carbs

Last edited by Glory87; 03-19-2008 at 09:42 PM.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 11:20 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

I don't think sushi is bad at all as long as you watch your portions.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 11:30 PM   #4  
future USMC wife!!!

S/C/G: 155/153/140

WOW!! it really isn't that bad atall! I'm really interestin in learning how to make it for myself and my DH...he's away at boot camp. It would be fun to supirse him when he got home =) The portions really arn't that bad zenor, and if I can learn to maek it for myself, then I can try to not use as much rice. I really think that is the worse part (other than all the rolls with fried fillings and sauses). Thanks for the help!!
aTrendyTotsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 11:40 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

Once you learn to make them at home you can make my favorite roll! It's called either an elephant roll or a Buddha roll depending on where you see them. The filling is avocado and peanuts. It sounds weird, but it's so good. I use brown rice when I make them at home.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 01:32 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Oh, it's easy to make. I bought a couple of bamboo rolling mats at an asian grocery store. Sushi rice is actually a little more than just plain rice, it has rice wine vinegar in it. You can buy sheets of seaweed pretty easily, I hold each one over a burner to lightly toast it. I put the seaweed on the mat, spread rice thinly on the seaweed, add my favorite fillings (my favorite is avocado, fake crab, pickled plum paste) and then carefully roll the sushi roll in the bamboo mat, giving it a final squeeze to seal it. I take off the bamboo mat, and cut the susi with a very sharp knife (rinsing the knife between cuts can make it cut better). There should be tons of recipes online, it's very easy to make and DELISH.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 05:48 PM   #7  
Ticker-free

S/C/G: 216/204.2/135

Height: 5'4"

Sushi is really easy to make, but it requires a lot of prep/cutting. I sometimes take the ingredients and make them into a sushi bowl, and crumble the seaweed/nori on top. Sushi is fantastic to make at a dinner party because everyone can make what they want and experiment.
perclady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 08:32 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 215/TICKER/140

I LOVE CALIFORNIA ROLLS!

Is it cheaper to make them at home? I pay almost 5 bucks at school for a container (not sure if it's a roll, it's about 10 bite-sized pieces).

And do not get the california rollsl with crab salad looking stuff in them! That adds way more calories because they make it with full-fat mayonnaise!

-Liz.
OnlyMeantWell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 01:13 PM   #9  

I love sushi. The only problem other than stated already (fried stuff etc) is that sodium in the soy sauce, even the low sodium variety can make you retain water. So don't plan on weighing the next day.
Lovemylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 01:36 PM   #10  
Observer of Phenomena

Height: 5' 4"

Glory, just to check: those counts are for the entire roll, 6-8 pieces? TIA!
3Beans is offline   Reply With Quote