General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:40 AM   #1  
Work it out.

Default Can you change your body from an apple shape to a pear shape?

I envy curvy women with pear shapes, you know the ladies that model for Lane Bryant and Ashley Stewart. I know I can have that shape, but my fat is covering a beautiful body underneath and let’s not talk about the excess skin. When I wear my hip clincher I look so curvy, but when I remove it I look all deformed lol. My question is with aerobic exercise and toning my muscles can I get that pear shape that I so envy on beautiful curvy women. I sometimes wish I was curvy and fat than fat with no real shape.

For those who have no idea what apple shaped or pear shaped this is it.

http://health.nytimes.com/health/gui...lications.html
And this was also a really good read about apple shaped vs. pear shaped btw
motivation86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 11:12 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Good question... IMO, I would not think you could change your shape, as I think it's largely determined by your genetics. However, you could certainly flatten an apple tummy by losing weight. Of course, exercise and strength training help a lot with toning, etc. I'll be interested to read others' opinions on this....
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 11:23 AM   #3  
Feelin good in my skin

Height: 5'9"

I don't think you can change the areas where your body stores fat. If you primarily store it in your mid-section vs your hip area - I don't think diet or exercise will change that.

Perhaps the style of clothing you wear can help give the perception of being shaped like an "hour glass"

Keep up the good work!
Marathon Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 01:46 PM   #4  
Work it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Mom View Post
I don't think you can change the areas where your body stores fat. If you primarily store it in your mid-section vs your hip area - I don't think diet or exercise will change that.

Perhaps the style of clothing you wear can help give the perception of being shaped like an "hour glass"

Keep up the good work!

Well I need to find clothing that will make me look or appear curvy
motivation86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 07:40 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

No-unfortunately you cannot change your genetic body shape-if you are an apple, hourglass, or pear-it is what it is.

The more overweight you are, however, the more distorted your body shape is. If you are an apple by nature and have a large upper body and a small lower body, the fatter you are, the more disproportionate that ratio is going to be. If you get really fit, and down to a nice weight and fitness level-it isn't going to be nearly as noticable. Extra weight exaggerates whateer shape we are.

I am a combination between an hourglass and a pear shape...and no matter what shape you are, the grass always seems greener on the other side. While you might envy the waistline of the pear or hourglass shape, all of the pear shapes with our heavier lower halves-most of us envy the fact that apples usually have GREAT legs!

I have known a lot of apple women, and I have always noticed things that I think they look good in. Maybe you can try some of these clothing options, and see what you think:

~V-neck tops: apple figures usually have nice cleavage, too. A v-neck shape softens and elongates the neckline, making it appear slimmer, while accentuating any cleavage.

~Shorts and shorter length skirts: apples usually have great, muscular legs-especially if they exercise.

What would you think of the following outfit-a black v-neck top, a denim shorter skirt, black tights, and cute black shoes like Mary Janes? It won't make you appear to be hourglass...but it would accentuate the pretty physical attributes of the apple shape-the legs and cleavage area.

I think sometimes that your best bet with clothing, hair, makeup, etc. is to accentuate the POSITIVE...rather than focusing on changing the negative.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:20 PM   #6  

I feel like I have changed shapes and I don't understand how that's possible. I've always been a pear shape (or probably an hourglass - I don't have the chest to balance but I do have the shoulder balance) and I still have a waist, but I feel like I've got this belly that I've never had before. It actually concerns me that there is maybe something wrong. Or did I just gain so much weight that it's spilling out all over? I'm not sure what to think about it. I'd rather go back to what I was.
cluttop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:25 PM   #7  

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by motivation86 View Post
I envy curvy women with pear shapes, you know the ladies that model for Lane Bryant and Ashley Stewart. I know I can have that shape, but my fat is covering a beautiful body underneath and let’s not talk about the excess skin. When I wear my hip clincher I look so curvy, but when I remove it I look all deformed lol. My question is with aerobic exercise and toning my muscles can I get that pear shape that I so envy on beautiful curvy women. I sometimes wish I was curvy and fat than fat with no real shape.

For those who have no idea what apple shaped or pear shaped this is it.

http://health.nytimes.com/health/gui...lications.html
And this was also a really good read about apple shaped vs. pear shaped btw

I'm gonna weigh in here as a banana/ruler shape - meaning boyish like Cameron Diaz. I've been wanting to be a pear or hourglass FOREVER. I've gotten my weight down and added some muscle but at the end of the day, I'm still a ruler just in better shape, lol.

I was told by a trainer once that since my waist refuses to cinch inward that I could do a bunch of lunges and squats therefore increasing the size of my hips but at 33" I kind of like the size they are. And I doubt my bust size is going to increase anytime soon either (that's 33" too). Maybe it's different for apples and pears but for bananas - we are what we are.

Last edited by fitmom; 07-12-2011 at 03:26 PM.
fitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:37 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphil View Post
No-unfortunately you cannot change your genetic body shape-if you are an apple, hourglass, or pear-it is what it is.

The more overweight you are, however, the more distorted your body shape is. If you are an apple by nature and have a large upper body and a small lower body, the fatter you are, the more disproportionate that ratio is going to be. If you get really fit, and down to a nice weight and fitness level-it isn't going to be nearly as noticable. Extra weight exaggerates whateer shape we are.

I am a combination between an hourglass and a pear shape...and no matter what shape you are, the grass always seems greener on the other side. While you might envy the waistline of the pear or hourglass shape, all of the pear shapes with our heavier lower halves-most of us envy the fact that apples usually have GREAT legs!

I have known a lot of apple women, and I have always noticed things that I think they look good in. Maybe you can try some of these clothing options, and see what you think:

~V-neck tops: apple figures usually have nice cleavage, too. A v-neck shape softens and elongates the neckline, making it appear slimmer, while accentuating any cleavage.

~Shorts and shorter length skirts: apples usually have great, muscular legs-especially if they exercise.

What would you think of the following outfit-a black v-neck top, a denim shorter skirt, black tights, and cute black shoes like Mary Janes? It won't make you appear to be hourglass...but it would accentuate the pretty physical attributes of the apple shape-the legs and cleavage area.

I think sometimes that your best bet with clothing, hair, makeup, etc. is to accentuate the POSITIVE...rather than focusing on changing the negative.
Thank you for your post. As an apple shape, it was so encouraging and positive for me to read! I have always envied pear and hourglass shaped women, but I must say that I do have great legs! It's the one and only great asset of my body--LOL!
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:43 PM   #9  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

You can't spot reduce but like others said weightloss will diminish the areas where most of your fat is stored. Also, your body shape can change during weight loss. I used to carry a lot more of my weight in my bust and it's decreased drastically the last 10lbs or so. Now I'm more of a pear shape when before I was more top heavy.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:12 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

Kind of echoing what others said, I think as you lose it's very possible you may end up more like a pear than apple shape. It just depends on where your body loses first.

I gained about 10 lbs in 6 months last year and it first came on mostly in my rear/hips because I'm a pear. It then started appearing in my stomach. When I lost the weight, it left my stomach first (the last place where you gain is usually the first where you lose) and then slowly my hips and thighs started slimming too.

If I had continued to gain, I imagine I would have looked more and more appleish. But really that was an unnatural weight gain (as in, not a healthy weight for my body) that would have masked my true body shape that I've been all my life, and that all the females in my family have- pear.

And either way, YES pears are ALWAYS jealous of apples for those slender legs you guys have!!! :-D
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:05 AM   #11  

At one point I was an hourglass, and when I gained weight I became slightly more pearish. That changed with age. I was still somewhat of an hourglass but was becoming more applish. I was gaining through the middle. I discovered that belly fat is caused by cortisol (stress) and insulin response (response to sugars and carbs). By trying to control my insulin response by buffering carbs with protein, and limiting the number of carbs and sugars I consumed at any one time and overall, I was able to reduce my waist, but was also somewhat surprised that I also reduced my butt.

For the first time in my adult life, it is easier to take some items of clothing off by going over my hips than over my head. Was that ever a surprise!
deetermined2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 04:20 AM   #12  
Cuddly Veg*n

S/C/G: 178 (153.8 Recently)/145.2/125

Height: 5'9"

I will add that you may not even know what your shape is. Sometimes, if you are overweight enough (and I don't know how far overweight you are), it's really difficult to tell what shape you are! Your shape has to do with where you carry fat, and also your general bone structure. For example, if you have narrowly-set hipbones, you can never be a pear shape.

But honestly, I have never known a woman at a healthy weight who didn't look beautiful (not to say that women who aren't healthy weights can't also be beautiful!).
xxkaleidoscopic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:05 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphil View Post

I am an hourglass that has become an apple. LOL At my best, I was 37-27-36. At my worst, I was 48-42-47. Same basic shape, just bigger. I have heard that upper body fat is easier to lose than lower body fat. I hope that's true, because I want to lose the spare tire first! LOL

Once I discovered the slimming effect of V-neck tops, I quit buying anything else. I will buy a low scoop neck, too. After having heart surgery in '08 I thought I would have to quit wearing them, but the scar has diminished so much and I'm still more self conscious about my weight than I am about the scar. I also wear a darker color on top and a lighter color on the bottom. It evens things out a little more. But as my husband says, It would be better all around to lose the weight and not have to play games with clothes.

If you don't want to throw away your crew/round neck tops, try layering them with a light jacket or shrug that forms a V shape in the front. Or wear a long chunky necklace that forms that V. These tricks will also cause that lengthing effect that makes you appear thinner.

Carol

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 07-14-2011 at 09:09 AM.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 06:59 AM   #14  

I was trying many diets, exercises for weight loss, but I'm kinda lazy :P

2 months ago i found green coffee plus (producer website - igreencoffee.pl) and that really helped me

Now when i'm slim I feel more confident too
anie92 is offline   Reply With Quote