Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-22-2008, 04:40 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 150/ticker/125

Height: 5'2"

Talking wait, so that's what jogging is??

(I just posted this in the success stories forum but also wanted to share it here)

I'm totally excited right now!! Let me begin my tale of success 10 years ago, the first time I strapped sneakers on my feet and took to the streets to prove to myself that I COULD jog, that I was NOT bound to strolling or moseying for the rest of my life.
I failed. I cried.
I have asthma, as well as a nasty addiction to cigarettes (a love/hate relationship that I've been dealing with since age 12). I detested physical activity, and gym class was always a nightmare. It's just that I was never really fat, just doughy, perhaps chubby. I had a body that looked like it was capable of physical activity, it just didn't feel like it to me.
But then, at age 17, with prom looming and body issues taking their thrones in my spirit, I wanted to prove that I could be an athlete, that I could develop that physical part of me that was so ignored.
And that was when I tried to jog, failed, and cried.
Soon after, I joined a gym. I took to the elliptical, I loved the stairmaster, I was a fiend on the weight circuit. Still, the treadmill was never my friend , and I still struggled every time I tried to jog outdoors. I felt that runners inhabited a world that I could not enter, that despite having lost 20 lbs and being relatively active, jogging was something I would never master. That did not stop me from setting it as a goal for myself, and I continued to push myself breathlessly on the track or the treadmill, always wondering why I was so, so tired...
I've been up and down in the 10 years since, sometimes still working at the gym habit, sometimes spending more time in front of the fridge, and my body reflected those behaviors.bLately (with much thanks to 3FC) I've been on a good streak, and recently set myself the familiar "I'm gonna run a 5K" goal.

AND TODAY I DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not a real race, mind you, but I finished 5K on the treadmill at the gym today, jogging/running the whole way!

Turns out the reason I couldn't jog for all those years was because I was running. I never let myself do a pleasant speed, always pushed it up to 6.2 mph on the treadmill, figuring that was a jogging speed. I may never be able to finish a 5K at that speed, and I am FINE with that -- I just jogged 5K at an avg of 5.5 mph and I could not be happier!!! This realization, and the feeling of success that has come with it, of course has stretched into metaphors for the rest of my life, but that's not the point here. I just I probably could have been entering 5Ks for years, finished towards the end, but yes, I could have finished. That is AMAZING! I am in the club!!!

Seriously, this is really thanks to 3FC -- especially sweettart (you totally motivated/inspired me to bring the speed down!). Biggest NSV yet. Thank you thank you thank you

S
shrinkinglizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 05:30 PM   #2  
Ilene the Bean

Bravo on your 5k goal...

Quote:
-- I just jogged 5K at an avg of 5.5 mph and I could not be happier!!!
Wow, that IS awesome, I've been "jogging" for 5 years now and I am still slower than that ... Keep up the great work and next time you'll be posting about your Marathon goal!!

Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 05:35 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 153/120

Height: 5' 4"

GOOD FOR YOU!!
That's a terrific accomplishment!!
Way to go!!
KatieK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 05:38 PM   #4  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Thanks for your post. This is great!
This a goal that I had set for myself, but the goal is still in the future. I am currently doing 3.8 - 3.9 mph (not jogging, just walking) - I only started with the treadmill on Feb 1.
I did not have the best day today, I was at 3.9 mph but had to slow down a tad (my right shin bothers me and I am paranoid about not making it worse), and I also felt like I could not breathe as usual, but I persevered and clicked 4.3 (total distance).
So you give me hope that I will make it there one day.
And congrats!
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 06:44 PM   #5  
Future Glamazon

S/C/G: 254/198/170

Height: 6'2"

As I once read over at a runner's forum:

"The only difference between a jogger and a runner is an entry number for a race."

So, I tend to use "jogging" and "running" interchangeably when I talk about my running.

WTG, shrinkinglizzy!!

Last edited by Apple Cheeks; 03-22-2008 at 06:46 PM.
Apple Cheeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 07:24 PM   #6  
girl toward svelte

S/C/G: 196/ticker/150

Height: 5'10''

Great job! Sounds like you are getting fit to me! Congrats!
audreymonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 07:39 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 215/TICKER/140

Height: 5'7"

That is absolutely fantastic! I love hearing happy stories
OnlyMeantWell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 07:53 PM   #8  
Running Fiend.

S/C/G: 210/165/145

Height: 5'7.5"

That's awesome! And for someone who didn't consider themselves much of a runner 5.5mph is a great speed. You should be very proud of yourself! Congrats again!
rockstar87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 08:00 PM   #9  
Wish It~Dream It~Do It

S/C/G: 230/144.2/146

Height: 5ft3

BlzMaxGnrCCJkMly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 08:06 PM   #10  

Congrats!!!
caitbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 11:10 AM   #11  
Mini-Goal #1: 160 by 4/14

S/C/G: 185-ish/ticker/150

Height: 5'6

Way to go!!! That's AMAZING! You are my inspiration to KEEP RUNNING!!!!!
sweettart08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 01:07 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 225/221/120

Height: 5'4"

That is great!!!
scoobie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 10:49 AM   #13  
No surrender, no retreat

S/C/G: 170/148! :D /134

Height: Vertically comfy 5'2"; horizontally challenged

SL -- I really, really, really smiled broadly when I read your story; thanks for sharing it. I also always thought that 'runners' were in some elusive club that I would never, ever be able to join. Like you I've tried and failed many, many, many times. Intervals have been my Godsend for getting 'up to speed' on the TM. They've really improved my strength and stamina. And while I can do 60 sec intervals at 6.5-7.2 mph, I could never, ever sustain that for any real duration. I'm also 5'2" and 5.4/5.5 mph is the perfect running speed for me too. I've heard others say 'oh, 5.5 isn't running, that's more like a jog.' Well, maybe if the good Lord had seen fit to give me a few more inches in ht. I'd feel the same way! But 5.5 is running for this ht.

Your post really hits home how determiniation, perserverance and good old fashioned sweat can pay off. As a matter of fact, I'm headed down to my 'cave' for a RUN right now! Thanks again for sharing.

Sweat is the cologne of accomplishment.

Last edited by Hat Trick; 03-25-2008 at 10:52 AM.
Hat Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 03:36 PM   #14  
Steps on this journey...

Height: 5'3

Shrinkinglizzy & hattrick:
You two completely inspired me... I have lost weight but have been puzzled about how to make my thighs smaller. Somehow, your stories planted themselves firmly in my subconscious and the next time I was at the treadmill, I decided to push it as fast as I could go. For the past 3 days, I've been doing my version of HIIT, 1-2 minutes at 3+ MPH and 45 sec-1 min at 4.5+ MPH. I can sustain 4.8 for 45 seconds. I never thought I could go above 3.5 for any length of time. And best of all, my thighs are sore in the "soon to be shrinking" kind of way.

It might be "jogging" vs. "running". I am hoping to work my way up with speed and stamina (like I did on the elliptical). But right now, this was a huge, fast step for me!
TheBabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 07:50 PM   #15  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

wooooohooooooooooooooooooooooo lizzy
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote