South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 12:46 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 257/236/150

Height: 5'5"

Default Grill?

I'm thinking about getting one of the George Foreman grills and I would like to know if anyone has any experience with them. I was looking at them yesterday and their are so many of them.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:52 PM   #2  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

we have the hamilton beach one. it's bigger and the plates come out..

i think that you should get one with the plates that come out it's easier to clean! I also think that you can grill a lot of things on them, meat, fish, chicken, veggies, sandwiches....
Old 03-22-2008, 12:52 PM   #3  
Beach Bum

Height: 5' 7"

We have one and hardly ever use it. If you really think you will use it, I would suggest getting one of the newer ones that has removable grill plates that can go into the dishwasher.
We don't use it because we find it messy and difficult to clean up---we have the older one with the non-removable grill plates. It was a gift, I wouldn't have purchased it.
I would suggest a grill pan, one that fits over 2 of your stovetop burners or a grill pan like a skillet instead of a George Foreman.
I don't notice any difference in taste or moistness of meats cooked on GF grill versus any other cooking method.
Karla

Also--we don't have a lot of counter space, so having an extra item to take up valuable counter space is something we do not desire.

Last edited by SkinnyDogMom; 03-22-2008 at 12:53 PM.
Old 03-22-2008, 01:45 PM   #4  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

I had a largish one with the temperature control and I loved it for certain items. I kept in on a shelf in a lower cupboard so it was reasonably easy to take out and put away but not out on the counter all the time. I though blsl chicken breasts came out better on the grill than other ways of cooking them. Didn't like steak cooked on it though. Prefer that on the outdoor grill.

Unfortunately I had closed mine with a wet handi-wipe in it to moisten it and clean it. My husband saw it, assumed it was clean and put it away dirty. I threw it away when I discovered it a week later - gross.

Without it, I've been using my healthcraft waterless/greaseless pan for blsl chicken breasts, but the cleanup is more involved.

When I replace it, I want to get one with removable grills. I've heard good things about the Hamilton Beach. My husband looked at the box and has decided it's too small. We need to look at one out of the box. The HB doesn't have the temperature control. So I'm still deciding what I want to buy as a replacement.
Old 03-22-2008, 02:03 PM   #5  
Tiff

S/C/G: 322/ticker/175

well while this post is up, i might as well ask a question i've been wondering about anyway.
on these grills does the meat have to be thawed, or can you put frozen food on there too i.e. steak, chicken, fish?
Old 03-22-2008, 02:53 PM   #6  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Food should be thawed for good cooking control.

I have a small one for just me and use it a lot. Next one will definitely have removable grills although this one wipes clean easily after sitting with damp paper towels over any burned on bits.
Old 03-22-2008, 03:44 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 168/ 163/ 145

Height: 5 4

I have the George Foreman Mean Lean Cooking Machine. It does not have removable grill, but I too wish it did. No temperature control either, that would also be a great feature- I sometimes uncover and just cook on one side of the grill.
I leave mine out on my counter and use it about 4 times a week. Besides meats (I cook a lot of turkey burgers & salmon on it), I cook veggies on it- mushrooms, peppers, zucchini, etc.. so it comes in handy. I usually clean it while it is still warm with a soft sponge or paper towel.
Old 03-22-2008, 04:04 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 257/236/150

Height: 5'5"

This one looks good because it sears the meat but it does not have the removable plates.
http://www.target.com/George-Foreman...20grill&page=1
Old 03-22-2008, 05:12 PM   #9  

I have had several, but now I have gone to a cast iron grill pan. I always had temperature control issues with the mechanical ones. My parents, on the other hand, have used electric grills for as long as I can remember. They must have gone through a dozen over the years. They love it and can't live without one! I think that getting one that has removable plates is essential.
Old 03-22-2008, 05:17 PM   #10  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

i throw my frozen chicken breasts or frozen fish on it. meat (beef and pork) i make sure is thawed....
Old 03-22-2008, 06:26 PM   #11  

I have a small George Foreman that I keep on the countertop. It works wonderfully to make a quesadilla (whole wheat tortilla and cheese and sometimes shrimp). It makes good hamburgers and grilled chicken and grilled cheese for my son.

I also have a large one that is a pain to take out but is just perfect for cooking larger steaks or a large number of burgers. I love that the fat cooks out. When I bought mine they didn't have the ones with the removable plates. I would definitely get one of those if I was buying one now.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:13 PM   #12  

S/C/G: [url=http://www.TickerFactory.

Thumbs up

i love my forman grill i bought one when the first can out and i cook on t all the time i have the small which was great but now i have the bigger one with the temperature control i like that better.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:32 PM   #13  

Height: 5'8"

I have the older model with non-removable plates. I don't use it as often as before, but I still like it for practical reasons. It cooks quickly with very little supervision, doesn't make a mess (splatters on stove), and cleans easily (I wipe it with damp paper towels as soon as I'm done cooking with it).

If you're looking for the "grill" taste, this is not going to give it to you. I absolutely love charcoal grilling, but in the winter time it's not something I want to do outside. I use it mostly with chicken breasts, but it also does steaks and pork nicely. I also use it for sandwiches, which works great. I've never cooked vegetables on it.

Good luck!

Last edited by friendlykat4u; 03-24-2008 at 07:33 PM.
Closed Thread